• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls-Not even a Darkhorse...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,042
  • Days Won:  469

On 7/25/2020 at 6:06 PM, Triple B said:

I know you don't want to hear it but with the pinnacle being those early weeks in 2007, the downward trajectory started a pretty good ways before we entered the AAC ..... the AAC was just that final swirl at the end of the flush.

This?

Fire Leavitt -> Hire Holtz -> Big East Football Ends -> Judy gets her conference (AAC) -> Reduce wins per season from 8.5 to 6.2 in weaker conference) -> Today

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,613
  • Content Count:  74,618
  • Days Won:  424

On 7/25/2020 at 9:06 PM, Triple B said:

I know you don't want to hear it but with the pinnacle being those early weeks in 2007, the downward trajectory started a pretty good ways before we entered the AAC ..... the AAC was just that final swirl at the end of the flush.

3 hours ago, Brad said:

This?

Fire Leavitt -> Hire Holtz -> Big East Football Ends -> Judy gets her conference (AAC) -> Reduce wins per season from 8.5 to 6.2 in weaker conference) -> Today

Absolutely "This" ...... the pinnacle was early 2007. It began going downhill from that point on. CJL had 2 1/2 years to build on that, he didn't. Powers that be thought a change was the best thing for the program, they were apparently wrong, although handcuffing CSH a bit didn't help. Being unceremoniously shoved away from the big boy's table just poured salt in the wound ...

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It began going downhill from that point on. CJL had 2 1/2 years to build on that, he didn't.

Yes, his two 8-5 seasons ('08 & '09) with wins over #18 Florida State, #20 WVU and #13 Kansas and even UCF was a move downhill?  The 9-4/8-5 plateau in BCS football in years 10-12 of existence got too many fat and happy and hungry for more.  It came so easy, it seemed, why not "demand" more?... And here we are...

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Yes, his two 8-5 seasons ('08 & '09) with wins over #18 Florida State, #20 WVU and #13 Kansas and even UCF was a move downhill?  The 9-4/8-5 plateau in BCS football in years 10-12 of existence got too many fat and happy and hungry for more.  It came so easy, it seemed, why not "demand" more?... And here we are...

I miss those days. Beating ranked teams in a stadium that was packed feels ancient at this point.

Edited by TheGreatOutlaw
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Brad said:

It's 2 1/2 years from when we hit #2 ..... and I couldn't agree more with the highlighted portion up there, that early conf movement/success has set up a lot of entitlement fever amongst USF brethren, and am in no way saying he should have been fired for football reasons. Just pointing out that I see it from the other side. Those two seasons where we went 16-10, 9 of those losses were in conference. I can understand, if not agree with. the frustration of seeing the big ooc wins but then ******** the bed in conference ...

A program that young should not have been expected to have the depth to compete against bluebloods for an entire season.  Pull off a good win now and then?  Possible.  The first 5-6 years without proper facilities, lighted fields,  coaching salaries, etc....way too much came way to fast...We can hardly, with facilities, put together a team to compete against AAC/C-USA.  Any way, enough of that.  It was done.  10.5 years ago.  We shall continue on our chosen path.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

A program that young should not have been expected to have the depth to compete against bluebloods for an entire season.  Pull off a good win now and then?  Possible.  The first 5-6 years without proper facilities, lighted fields,  coaching salaries, etc....way too much came way to fast...We can hardly, with facilities, put together a team to compete against AAC/C-USA.  Any way, enough of that.  It was done.  10.5 years ago.  We shall continue on our chosen path.

LOL .....As with a lot of our back and forth on this I'm nodding my head while reading until the very end, where I start shaking my head. We didn't choose this path we're on right now ..... unless you mean choosing to accept the BE invite, which I still think is alternately the best and worst thing to happen to us.

Chosen coaches.  We made a choice to kill the story and have CSH lead this program while still in BE.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

15 hours ago, Brad said:

We had many a talented player back the too. USF players started to be absorbed into the NFL many to have nice careers. 

4 hours ago, Brad said:

Chosen coaches.  We made a choice to kill the story and have CSH lead this program while still in BE.  

Not sure what's meant by "kill the story" and how it affects our current path but, on paper, CSH was the best football head coach choice we've hired ..... he just got USFized.