• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye topic: Biggest rival

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  709
  • Days Won:  0

Are we back on the case of some people (mostly knight fans) trying to convince others that UCF is our rival.

Apparently we are.  Now, I will post a response to you and of course be criticized that I came on the main board and blah, blah, blah....  But we can all see that your post deserves a UCF response.

I'll give you ignorant asses a definition, if you have to convince people that you are their rival, then you are not@!  If over half their fan base doesn't recognize you as a rival, nor cares to, just because you want it to be doesn't make it the case.  Beat us in something other than chess, and water polo and we'll talk.

All I can say to you is to simply look at the largest attended game for USF.  Yes, not counting you and a few others on here, MOST USF FANS believe a rivalry exists with UCF.  Now, it is merely because of proximity and the fact that we have played each other in the other sports.

We have beaten you before.  Does USF hold an advantage?  Absolutely.  But NOBODY with ANY knowledge of baseball would say our programs are remotely close to each other even though the series between the schools is tied.  Our baseball program is far and away better than yours and has been for a long time.

Basketball is a differnt story.  I agree that basketball has been better for USF over the years but UCF has made up most of the ground so far and will soon be passing USF by.  Yes, you have the BE.  Time will tell if this actually gets you recruits that UCF can't touch.

UCF is finally starting to spend money on basketball.  Look for UCF to be the better program in about three years (yes this is my opinion).

There is no equal pursuits between our two programs.  USF has been ahead of UCF in athletics for decades, the only differential is UCF had football a decade before.  Jeez, anyone with a clue knows this crap, look at the stats and facts- 15 years ago, before we had football, and when UCF did, our budget was over double what UCF's was, and our athletics were entirely 1-A all in a mid-major conference, and there's were just beginning to make the jump.  I will agree in those 15 years UCF has done a fine job catching up, but recognize the facts before trying to exude your personal perceptions.  

I agree with what you are saying for the most part.  Football was number ONE with the past administration and that hurt the other sports.

HOWEVER, do not make it appear that USF has some GREAT programs.  UCF in just a few years has caught up in sports like Mens Soccer, Womens Soccer, Softball, and others.  You make it as if USF is Michigan.  Well, if you put Western in front of it then maybe!

UCF has spent 15 years trying to catch-up to USF, and have done a relatively good job, however USF continues to advance.  Before anyone within USF will ever recognize UCF as a viable athletic rival they're going to have to beat us soundly...just because you tried to be a public nuasance to get us to play football doesn't make you a **** rival.

We were already ahead in football and baseball and have been for some time.  USF football has been ahead by a nose lately but even that is under some scrutiny at this time.

BTW, on one hand you say USF is not going to play UCF because we are not in your league.  ::)  On the other hand, you want us to beat you soundly for you guys to consider us a rival.  Do you even know what you really want?

God almighty, these guys get a few wins under their belts against inferior comp and all of sudden they're God's Gift to Football again!

See your loss to Pittsburgh.  At least we are BEATING the "inferior" competition we are playing.  Some of these same "inferior" teams CRUSHED USF last year.

GET A FREAKIN' CLUE!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

I speak for the silent masses ....

It may come one day but right now USF just doesn't have a real rivalry with anyone. If UCF joins the BE down the line I do admit it would almost become one overnight for BOTH sides..... and BOTH sides almost unanimously acknowledging it is what you need for a real rivalry.

Are you saying teams HAVE to be in the same conference to have a rivalry?

Miami/FSU had a great rivalry...especially the past 25 years when they were not in the same conference.

UF/FSU have had a rivalry almost since day one...and are not in the same conference.

Notre Dame/USC?

Clemson/South Carolina?

Georgia/Ga Tech?

Penn St/Pitt (till recently)

Whatever these games (UCF/USF) are called, they obviously drew a lot of INTEREST...even when compared to USF's first ever Big East BCS Home Game vs the #9 team in the Nation.

If this series of "high interest" continues...folks can call it whatever they want...Many in the media this year called it a "rivalry" game...some fans call it a "rivalry" game...but others can call it anything they want.

Bottom line...if this series continue...it looks certainly like it will be a series of games of HIGH interest.

KL

Guest S.  Bien

Apparently we are.  Now, I will post a response to you and of course be criticized that I came on the main board and blah, blah, blah....  But we can all see that your post deserves a UCF response.

All I can say to you is to simply look at the largest attended game for USF.  Yes, not counting you and a few others on here, MOST USF FANS believe a rivalry exists with UCF.  Now, it is merely because of proximity and the fact that we have played each other in the other sports.

We have beaten you before.  Does USF hold an advantage?  Absolutely.  But NOBODY with ANY knowledge of baseball would say our programs are remotely close to each other even though the series between the schools is tied.  Our baseball program is far and away better than yours and has been for a long time.

Basketball is a differnt story.  I agree that basketball has been better for USF over the years but UCF has made up most of the ground so far and will soon be passing USF by.  Yes, you have the BE.  Time will tell if this actually gets you recruits that UCF can't touch.

UCF is finally starting to spend money on basketball.  Look for UCF to be the better program in about three years (yes this is my opinion).

I agree with what you are saying for the most part.  Football was number ONE with the past administration and that hurt the other sports.

HOWEVER, do not make it appear that USF has some GREAT programs.  UCF in just a few years has caught up in sports like Mens Soccer, Womens Soccer, Softball, and others.  You make it as if USF is Michigan.  Well, if you put Western in front of it then maybe!

We were already ahead in football and baseball and have been for some time.  USF football has been ahead by a nose lately but even that is under some scrutiny at this time.

BTW, on one hand you say USF is not going to play UCF because we are not in your league.  ::)  On the other hand, you want us to beat you soundly for you guys to consider us a rival.  Do you even know what you really want?

See your loss to Pittsburgh.  At least we are BEATING the "inferior" competition we are playing.  Some of these same "inferior" teams CRUSHED USF last year.

GET A FREAKIN' CLUE!

Oh God, here we go again.   I love how idiots like Mav spend all this time to convince me and others- again all the convincing in the world doesn't create a rivalry.  I am not convinced, and the case is closed.  Mav, I refuse to debate because your objectivity is clouded by your allegiance, but suffice it to say that you and a few of you're knightly geeks are the only band of merry men that consider this a rivalry, particularly when polled within athletic departments.

By the way, when your athletics were meandering around in DII, we were in the NCAA Tourney for men's hoops and baseball.  So you get a clue!

If over half their fan base doesn't recognize you as a rival, nor cares to, just because you want it to be doesn't make it the case.

This same definition goes for all other 117 I-A programs and USF. (I would say 118 - but you already pointed out how it applies to UCF).

Thus we are left with the sad fact that USF has no rivals at this point in time.

That is sad because rivalries -- contrived or not -- are the reasons why college football is so much better than professional.

I am now and shall always remain of the opinion that UCF will be USF's biggest rival -- like it or not.

And I would say that this message board does not constitute USF's fan base.  If you asked the average USF fan (i.e. someone who doesn't post on a message board but buys tickets to the game): "Is there a rivalry between USF and UCF?" You would be surprised at the amount of people that would say "Yes." I would guess it would be in the neighborhood of 2/3rds or 3/4ths.

Now, that doesn't mean they look at the USF-UCF rivalry as having the same passion as FSU-UF -- it clearly doesn't.  I mean, we don't have T-shirts that read "Mama's: Don't let your babies grow up to be Golden Knights" or "Friends don't let friends go to UCF."  But it is still a rivalry.

If you want proof -- go back and look at how the media portrayed the first game.  The media reflect our society -- and they called it a rivalry.

Like it or not: UCF is our rival.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

Oh God, here we go again.   I love how idiots like Mav spend all this time to convince me and others- again all the convincing in the world doesn't create a rivalry.  I am not convinced, and the case is closed.  

Case closed?

Wow SB....you are SOOO open-minded...LOL!!

I fear for your health if and probably WHEN in the future UCF becomes USF's biggest rival in the South.

KL

Guest S.  Bien

This same definition goes for all other 117 I-A programs and USF. (I would say 118 - but you already pointed out how it applies to UCF).

Thus we are left with the sad fact that USF has no rivals at this point in time.

That is sad because rivalries -- contrived or not -- are the reasons why college football is so much better than professional.

I am now and shall always remain of the opinion that UCF will be USF's biggest rival -- like it or not.

And I would say that this message board does not constitute USF's fan base.  If you asked the average USF fan (i.e. someone who doesn't post on a message board but buys tickets to the game): "Is there a rivalry between USF and UCF?" You would be surprised at the amount of people that would say "Yes." I would guess it would be in the neighborhood of 2/3rds or 3/4ths.

Now, that doesn't mean they look at the USF-UCF rivalry as having the same passion as FSU-UF -- it clearly doesn't.  I mean, we don't have T-shirts that read "Mama's: Don't let your babies grow up to be Golden Knights" or "Friends don't let friends go to UCF."  But it is still a rivalry.

If you want proof -- go back and look at how the media portrayed the first game.  The media reflect our society -- and they called it a rivalry.

Jim, how does that apply to 117 other programs?  Your perception doesn't equal fact, that includes.  Sorry, and no measure of debate can prove it.

The fact remains that rivals are mutual, and born out of constant, and on-going contests in which both sides are competitive.  A small segment of the population cannot make this a rivalry.   What if there's a splinter of USF fans that think FAU should be a rival?  Would you try to argue with them?  We play FAU in athletics just as much as we've played UCF, what would make FAU less of a rival?

Exactly, neither has been traditionally competitive against USF in just about every sport with baseball as the only slight exception, and even that one is still slightly bent in USF's direction.  Just because you want something, or a few other guys want something doesn't make it a reality.

Besides, I think we've got a pretty fair interest starting on playing Louisville each year.  WVU hasn't played Marshall in football for nearly 20 years, but they've got a heat and deep seeded rivalry with their conference foe- Pitt.  Are you suggesting that WVU is missing out?  They seemed to have done just fine with that set-up.

But again, as usual, there will be enough UCF and a couple of USF fans trying to convince people of a rivalry.  Which I almost burst out laughing hearing.  Again, win some games, beat us in hoops and we'll talk.  We anniliated you in football earlier, what suggests anything differently would occur in subsequent years.  May I suggest people to reference the hoops series, apathy is grown out of sheer boredom.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

Are we back on the case of some people (mostly knight fans) trying to convince others that UCF is our rival.

I'll give you ignorant asses a definition, if you have to convince people that you are their rival, then you are not@!  If over half their fan base doesn't recognize you as a rival, nor cares to, just because you want it to be doesn't make it the case.  Beat us in something other than chess, and water polo and we'll talk.

There is no equal pursuits between our two programs.  USF has been ahead of UCF in athletics for decades, the only differential is UCF had football a decade before.  Jeez, anyone with a clue knows this crap, look at the stats and facts- 15 years ago, before we had football, and when UCF did, our budget was over double what UCF's was, and our athletics were entirely 1-A all in a mid-major conference, and there's were just beginning to make the jump.  I will agree in those 15 years UCF has done a fine job catching up, but recognize the facts before trying to exude your personal perceptions.  

UCF has spent 15 years trying to catch-up to USF, and have done a relatively good job, however USF continues to advance.  Before anyone within USF will ever recognize UCF as a viable athletic rival they're going to have to beat us soundly...just because you tried to be a public nuasance to get us to play football doesn't make you a **** rival.

God almighty, these guys get a few wins under their belts against inferior comp and all of sudden they're God's Gift to Football again!

I see you're still up to your old self.  Who's acting like "God's Gift" to anything.  Try accomplishing anything (and the UL win just obviously a farce...and they're still a mid-major, IMO).  

I like how Bien likes to speak for over half the USF fans that in his mind don't want UCF as a rival.  We're not a big enough team to be associated with as far as USF goals and standards are.  What a joke!!

Look...you can view the two teams as they are....but I found our game to be a lot of fun, despite the score and that game will still be your highest attended this season.  If UCF wins next year...and the series continues...it may turn into a nice rivalry.  But it's not a nessesity for UCF to succeed.  It's just that both schools are so close and we all have friends from both.  My friends that went to USF still brag about the game.  They talk about wanting to play every year and think your AD and HC need to get it done that they've been stupid not to, thus far.

So...speak for yourself, bien.  Some of us do think it's a fun atmosphere and just fun overall.  It's just a game...Not a popularity contest.

• Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711

Oh God, here we go again.   I love how idiots like Mav spend all this time to convince me and others- again all the convincing in the world doesn't create a rivalry.  I am not convinced, and the case is closed.

So...since Bien doesn't want a rivalry game with UCF...the entire fan base of USF agrees.  Case closed.

I'm not going to try and convince anyone of anything.  I think the game has a rivalry type atmosphere and many fans from both schools do agree.  If they're the only ones...so be it.  You can choose your own school to be rivals with.  Hate UL, instead.  

Do you consider your game @ Miami a rivalry?  Miami was laughing at you all.  So will UF..and eventually FSU.  Do you think we're going to go into UF next year calling out a rivalry?  No.  USF/UCF isn't a rivalry with any tradition or history....but it is a game of interest that has potential for a traditional rivalry.  The locations are what make it a "natural" rivalry.  That's how I see it.  Between me and my friends from USF...that's a fact.  That's how we see it....what are you gonna do.  Convince them that it's not?

You're hoping for UL as a rival.  UL has Kentucky and a bunch of others they'd claim, first.  Now you're talking about Pitt as a rival...Pitt has Penn St. and many others they'd consider first.  Maybe you and Rutgers will start something up this week, though?

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Now that is something I would agree with 100%.

Only UCF considers USF to be a rival, and most of USF does not consider UCF to be a rival.

No other school looks at USF as a rival, and the Big East teams only look at USF as a conference game.

Jeebus, Jim, are you going schizo on us?? "We have no rivals but UCF is one ........."?

The Kanigits can whine all they want but it's NOT a rivalry unless the vast majority on BOTH sides think it is one.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Bien, I am with you 99% on this rival crap.  First UCF needs to get a team.  The 1 % is for selfish reasons only.  Instead of a 2+ hour dirve it cuts my drive in half if I go to Orlando to see the Bulls play.