• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bye topic: Biggest rival

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  158
  • Content Count:  711
  • Days Won:  0

Why is there so much focus on who our "rival" is?  Let's just play the games and our rivalries will work themselves out.

I agree with that actually.  Rivalries take time to develop.  But I have to admit...there was a fun atmosphere prior and going into the USF/UCF game this year.  Then again...there will be again for the UF game next year...at least on our part.

But there will be a great atmosphere in Orlando next year with an improved UCF team with even more experience.  But overall...the locations of both schools and youths of the programs will always make this game interesting.

As bad as UCF was the past 2 years....we all know any team in Florida with a good coach is gonna compete once they get experience.

I wouldn't doubt that UCF is favored next year vs. UCF.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  164
  • Content Count:  1,386

I wouldn't doubt that UCF is favored next year vs. UCF.

You guys are going to be favored over yourselves when you play yourself next year. Isn't that a little Freudian?  ;D

Kizarvexis

(Sorry, couldn't resist.)

ri·val    ( P )  Pronunciation Key  (rvl)

n.

1.  One who attempts to equal or surpass another, or who pursues the same object as another; a competitor.

2.  One that equals or almost equals another in a particular respect.

Right.

Definition #1.

- USF has attempted to equal or surpass UCF in terms of a quality program

- Both USF & UCF pursue the same object: recognition as a quality program (USF is closer because of the Big East membership)

Definition #2.  USF & UCF are almost equal in sevearal particular respects:

- Both have a small number of years as a major college program as compared to the vast majority of college programs

- Both schools are urban, young, large, public universities inf Florida

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

Jim, some people are just too arrogant to ever admit it.

• Topic Count:  99
  • Content Count:  4,517

Right.

Definition #1.

- USF has attempted to equal or surpass UCF in terms of a quality program

- Both USF & UCF pursue the same object: recognition as a quality program (USF is closer because of the Big East membership)

Definition #2.  USF & UCF are almost equal in sevearal particular respects:

- Both have a small number of years as a major college program as compared to the vast majority of college programs

- Both schools are urban, young, large, public universities inf Florida

Main Entry: stretch

Pronunciation: 'strech

Function: verb

10 a : to amplify or enlarge beyond natural or proper limits <the rules can be stretched this once>   ;)

Trip,

You're the one stretching here.

I speak for the silent masses ....

It may come one day but right now USF just doesn't have a real rivalry with anyone. If UCF joins the BE down the line I do admit it would almost become one overnight for BOTH sides..... and BOTH sides almost unanimously acknowledging it is what you need for a real rivalry.

and BOTH sides almost unanimously acknowledging it is what you need for a real rivalry.

Now that is something I would agree with 100%.

Only UCF considers USF to be a rival, and most of USF does not consider UCF to be a rival.

No other school looks at USF as a rival, and the Big East teams only look at USF as a conference game.

Now that is something I would agree with 100%.

Only UCF considers USF to be a rival, and most of USF does not consider UCF to be a rival.

No other school looks at USF as a rival, and the Big East teams only look at USF as a conference game.

Exactly, the true rivalries will come in time .... maybe from unexpected places.

I think the only rivalry we have now is the pro-Julmiste vs the anti-Julmiste factions ......  8)

Guest S. &nbsp;Bien

Are we back on the case of some people (mostly knight fans) trying to convince others that UCF is our rival.

I'll give you ignorant asses a definition, if you have to convince people that you are their rival, then you are not@!  If over half their fan base doesn't recognize you as a rival, nor cares to, just because you want it to be doesn't make it the case.  Beat us in something other than chess, and water polo and we'll talk.

There is no equal pursuits between our two programs.  USF has been ahead of UCF in athletics for decades, the only differential is UCF had football a decade before.  Jeez, anyone with a clue knows this crap, look at the stats and facts- 15 years ago, before we had football, and when UCF did, our budget was over double what UCF's was, and our athletics were entirely 1-A all in a mid-major conference, and there's were just beginning to make the jump.  I will agree in those 15 years UCF has done a fine job catching up, but recognize the facts before trying to exude your personal perceptions.  

UCF has spent 15 years trying to catch-up to USF, and have done a relatively good job, however USF continues to advance.  Before anyone within USF will ever recognize UCF as a viable athletic rival they're going to have to beat us soundly...just because you tried to be a public nuasance to get us to play football doesn't make you a **** rival.

God almighty, these guys get a few wins under their belts against inferior comp and all of sudden they're God's Gift to Football again!