• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Game Chat USF vs Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I would take an NIT Championship over getting bounced in the first round of the NCAA. Better to win something over not having a chance. But my position is for one time only. 

If you've been to the NCAAs a couple times recently as a low seed and get smoked in the first round each time, it's probably better for a developing team to make a long run through the NITs against good competition that, in many cases, is better than 1/4 of the auto-bids. You get big games, TV, travel, and practices. Once the shine is off the big prize, the better for the program play is winning the NIT. 

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

A debate we've had before in here. Obviously everybody would prefer to go to the NCAA's but only a loser mentality would prefer to lose their first game in that tournament as opposed to cutting down the nets at Madison Square Gardens ...

I would argue only a loser mentality would desire to play at a lower level just to be able to pretend you were successful, you compete to show you are the best and the best are competing at the NCAA tournament. Sure winning it is better than not, sure it’s better than what we are currently doing but I don’t want to believe that anyone would take a guaranteed win in the NIT over the chance to show your mettle in the NCAA.

17 minutes ago, JTrue said:

If you've been to the NCAAs a couple times recently as a low seed and get smoked in the first round each time, it's probably better for a developing team to make a long run through the NITs against good competition that, in many cases, is better than 1/4 of the auto-bids. You get big games, TV, travel, and practices. Once the shine is off the big prize, the better for the program play is winning the NIT. 

I think you have to believe that if you get there you can make a run even if you haven’t so many times before but the guaranteed way not to become the Cinderella of the NCAA ball is to not make it in.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

but I don’t want to believe that anyone would take a guaranteed win in the NIT over the chance to show your mettle in the NCAA.

I find it easy to believe that someone would want to take the guaranteed cutting down of the nets in such a hallowed basketball venue over a guaranteed loss in the NCAA.

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

I find it easy to believe that someone would want to take the guaranteed cutting down of the nets in such a hallowed basketball venue over a guaranteed loss in the NCAA.

Maybe if it was the Big East tournament...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

We would be undefeated in football...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Conference championships are overrated ...

Just now, Triple B said:

Conference championships are overrated ...

It depends on the conference, a Big East basketball championship would have the bees knees.

Guest Jonesy Bull
8 hours ago, Triple B said:

Wasn't a matter of not being happy, just pointing out something you conveniently left out. Getting to the post season is a key objective in college hoops, with the NCAA's being the primary one and the NIT a lesser one but still a nice accomplishment ........ and I was wrong about us never even coming close to what he did at Dayton. We came close under Paschal with 2 NCAA's and 2 NIT's in a 6 year span, with a couple of missed Chucky FT's away from a MSG appearance.

I remember that missed Chucky FT at Marquette very well.  I was so depressed the next day at work.  And that was just the NIT.

When winning, there is nothing better than post season basketball.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

13 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

And its Dayton.  No knock on Dayton, i know they have some basketball tradition.  But big picture doesnt Tampa and the AAC have a higher ceiling than Dayton freaking Ohio.

Maybe im over estimating our potential.

Talking about the team ranked 7th?

• Upvote 1