• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Game Chat USF vs Houston

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

11 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

This whole notion that USF basketball is the toughest place to coach is such a victim's mentality. If you want to be great you have to expect to be great. That's the problem with USF and many of its few, remaining fans - no demands for excellence, so instead they lower the bar so low that they'll never be disappointed.

Seth Greenberg is the only men's basketball coach to leave USF and make the NCAAT, so I don't think we can say theat anyone we have hired went on to greatness. At least Heath made an Elite 8 and nearly made a Sweet 16 with USF.

this is true

• Topic Count:  9,895
  • Content Count:  66,072
  • Days Won:  172

12 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Please stop. He's probably the best coach we've ever had - at least since I've been following.

he certainly did a great job last year

i think he is doing fine under the circumstances

Guest Jonesy Bull
12 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

"loaded" is a relative term for USF, but yeah we are looking at a situation where Mack could be the 11th man.

Well if this the case.  Then i guess we should know next year what kind of coach he really is.

Guest Jonesy Bull

I get the point though.  It seems like this team shouldnt be this bad.  I thought the CBI experience would carry over.  CBG does have to take st least some blame.  Still tend to think falls more on the players not executing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

6 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I'm only illustrating that they guy has a history of only being able to take teams so far - and I am far from the first person to mention that. While Gregory has done a fantastic job of taking a program that was a dumpster fire and turning it into a program with some hope, I think Gregory has a ceiling.

He absolutely might ..... but, based on his final years at Dayton, it's a ceiling USF has come nowhere near hitting.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Triple B said:

He absolutely might ..... but, based on his final years at Dayton, it's a ceiling USF has come nowhere near hitting.

And its Dayton.  No knock on Dayton, i know they have some basketball tradition.  But big picture doesnt Tampa and the AAC have a higher ceiling than Dayton freaking Ohio.

Maybe im over estimating our potential.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

34 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

And its Dayton.  No knock on Dayton, i know they have some basketball tradition.  But big picture doesnt Tampa and the AAC have a higher ceiling than Dayton freaking Ohio.

Maybe im over estimating our potential.

We're not talking school, city or conference ceiling, we're talking CBG's supposed ceiling based on his history. USF MBB has never accomplished anything close to the supposed ceiling he hit so before we start downplaying that ceiling, let's give him a chance to get USF close to his ceiling, after basically starting from scratch.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 minute ago, Triple B said:

We're not talking school, city or conference ceiling, we're talking CBG's supposed ceiling based on his history. USF MBB has never accomplished anything close to the supposed ceiling he hit so before we start downplaying that ceiling, let's give him a chance to get USF close to his ceiling, after basically starting from scratch.

Right I get it.  Because CBG has had success at a place like Dayton, that his ceiling is even higher here.  We have a bigger media market, very nice facilities, arguably a better conference.  Why cant his ceiling be higher here.....with the exception maybe of perception since Dayton has done better historically.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

9 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Wasn’t his most successful season in Dayton getting to the second round of the NCAA? Something  CSH also accomplished. Unless you are suggesting winning the tournament for people that didn’t make the NCAA tournament and to which everyone recognizes is a consolation prize is somehow better than actually winning games in the real tournament but there is no way anyone actually believes that. I like CBG but if that’s his ceiling than we have been there before it just feels like a lifetime ago.

Guest Jonesy Bull
19 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Wasn’t his most successful season in Dayton getting to the second round of the NCAA? Something  CSH also accomplished. Unless you are suggesting winning the tournament for people that didn’t make the NCAA tournament and to which everyone recognizes is a consolation prize is somehow better than actually winning games in the real tournament but there is no way anyone actually believes that. I like CBG but if that’s his ceiling than we have been there before it just feels like a lifetime ago.

He did win the NIT.  Thats a pretty big accomplishment, along with all the other NCAA and NIT appearances.

I think we would take that.  My belief is that he can do even better here because of the reasons I mentioned....but Im blindly optimistic to a fault sometimes.

Edited by Jonesy Bull