• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

McCloud Start = USF Loss

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

5 minutes ago, Skingraft said:

I am not wishing the kid to fail, I'm just not as convinced or as hopeful as most of you. I would love nothing more than this kid to ball out and make me look like an ass. I just know it won't be this year.

it's his redshirt freshman year.

here is a subjective ranking of USFs QBs. Personally I think he looks like he might  rank Somewhere in the neighborhood of mike white and chad barnhardt. that would put him on the edge of top 5 QB for us. some of you may be too young to remember how bad the position has been for us at times in the past.

https://www.thedailystampede.com/2017/7/11/15937020/every-usf-quarterback-ever-ranked-quinton-flowers-bj-daniels-matt-grothe-marquel-blackwell

Starters

1. Quinton Flowers

2. Marquel Blackwell

These two are a cut above all the others. Going into 2017, you could rank them either way. After this season, Flowers will almost certainly be the undisputed GOAT.

3. B.J. Daniels

4. Matt Grothe

Again, you could switch these two without much argument. You all know which way I lean in the Daniels/Grothe debate, but it’s very close. There’s also not much of a gap between my first pair and my second pair.

5. Chad Barnhardt

A good to very good quarterback and an archetypal team leader. Not quite on the same level as the players above him.

6. Mike White

White may be the only USF football player who has ever transferred and thrived at another FBS school. It would have been interesting to see how he fit into the Gulf Coast Offense, but that didn’t happen. Worked out for the best, though.

It’s a pretty big gap from here to...

7. Steven Bench

Had a few chances to win the starting job, but could never hold on to it. To be fair, he was probably held back by USF’s terrible system in 2013-14. We saw enough of Bench as Flowers’ backup in 2015 to see that he would have been OK in the Gulf Coast Offense.

8. Ronnie Banks

Banks started most of the 2003 season in Mike Hobbie’s spread. He was a fair enough pocket passer, but really lacked mobility. I think he was ruined mentally by the TCU game that year, in which USF could not block anyone and Banks was sacked around 178 times. Jim Leavitt got so desperate in the second half that he replaced Banks with Brian Fisher, who was not actually a quarterback. To this day there are TCU defensive linemen showing up at Ronnie Banks’s home and place of business to lay some more hits on him.

9. Pat Julmiste

In the pack of below-average USF starting quarterbacks, Julmiste wins out on volume. He started enough games that eventually he had a few good ones, like against TCU in 2004. Was quickly replaced by Grothe in 2006 and only made a brief cameo in the Papajohns.com Bowl after Grothe was injured.

10. Bobby Eveld

Had that one moment of magic against Miami, but then did nothing else of note. On the plus side, Skip Holtz burning his redshirt in 2012 was so pathetic that it got him fired faster.

11. Glen Gauntt

We counted him as a starter because he was anointed the starter going into the 1999 season, after Barnhardt graduated. He was fine as a backup, but was ineffective as a starter. After 1 1/2 games, he was replaced by Blackwell and was rarely heard from after that.

12. Matt Floyd

13. Courtney Denson

Neither of these guys had it. Floyd started three games as an injury replacement, then lasted just over a half as Willie Taggart’s first starting QB. Still, that’s longer than Denson lasted in 2005. He was pulled in less than one quarter of his only start, at Penn State. Denson continued to struggle as a backup and eventually moved to wide receiver; Floyd was benched and disappeared.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Why not wait until the season is actually over before comparing stats?

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

39 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Spongebob Movie GIF by The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge On The Run

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,584
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

2 reasons ......

1. To regurgitate a paraphrase from elsewhere, why wait to do something until later you're going to do anyway?

2. Some just thrive on negativity and if JM has an awesome last 2 games, they were able to scratch that itch now.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

On 11/19/2019 at 9:21 AM, NewEnglandBull said:

Exactly...because he is continually improving his stats and it will only look better...quite frankly he could have the best freshman year stat wise...out of any USF qb depending on how he finishes