• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

CJL takes defensive analysts position at FSU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So Notre Dame can never have a great coach?

It’s Notre Dame...the greats are measured on national championships: Leahy, Holtz, Rockne, Parseghian, and Holtz say hi...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s Notre Dame...the greats are measured on national championships: Leahy, Holtz, Rockne, Parseghian, and Holtz say hi...

But conference championships?

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

But conference championships?

Not applicable...you can apply that to Bama and USC too. We are tiny...and of course if they were in a conference only a fool would be believe they would not have a basket full of titles.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Not applicable...you can apply that to Bama and USC too. We are tiny...

But to be clear it is possible to be great without winning a conference championship and sometimes coaches have to be measured by other means, correct?

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But to be clear it is possible to be great without winning a conference championship and sometimes coaches have to be measured by other means, correct?

Incorrect...relative to USF and the level it plays on 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

As long as CJL is happy, I'm happy for him technically speaking he's my coach again as I'm in Law School at FSU... 

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Incorrect...

But didn’t you just rattle off great coaches that weren’t winning conference championships?

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But didn’t you just rattle off great coaches that weren’t winning conference championships?

I am not the one comparing USF to Notre Dame. When you don’t belong to a conference how can you win a conference championship. That does not make my claim incorrect...it just makes it non applicable. Would it be better to say “ all teams that belong in a conference that have never had a great coach unless they have won a conference championship.” Regardless, USF has yet to have its great coach...

Edited by NewEnglandBull

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am not the one comparing USF to Notre Dame. When you don’t belong to a conference how can you win a conference championship. That does not make my claim incorrect...it just makes it non applicable. Would it be better to say “ all teams that belong in a conference I’ve never had a great coach unless they have won a conference championship.” Regardless, USF has yet to have its great coach...

I’m not comparing USF to Notre Dame I am just pointing out one of many examples where conference championships are not the have all be all of measuring the greatness of a coach. Another example could perhaps be a coach starting a program from scratch, immediately moving up to 1-a independent, immediately then moving to C-USA (when it had good teams) and then immediately moving up to the a BCS program. To always be climbing uphill thru many layers of the football ranks and then to do better than the next three guys that got to coach on the decline down the other side of the mountain would seem pretty **** great to anyone objective and not stuck on an arbitrary event they have given unreasonable importance to.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I’m not comparing USF to Notre Dame I am just pointing out one of many examples where conference championships are not the have all be all of measuring the greatness of a coach. Another example could perhaps be a coach starting a program from scratch, immediately moving up to 1-a independent, immediately then moving to C-USA (when it had good teams) and then immediately moving up to the a BCS program. To always be climbing uphill thru many layers of the football ranks and then to do better than the next three guys that got to coach on the decline down the other side of the mountain would seem pretty **** great to anyone objective and not stuck on an arbitrary event they have given unreasonable importance to.

If you ain’t got no ring ( conference champs or national champs) you ain’t nothing...