• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our MSoccer Coach

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

Had the privilege of having dinner with our soccer coach and his wife a couple of nights ago. They are such good, genuine people it is hard to put into words. It is enlightening to hear about what is important  to him when coaching young student athletes.  First things he talks about are character, grades and respect. He realizes that you eventually have to win to keep your job but to change the culture of a program takes time. Helping assistant coaches move on is something I would never have thought about.  I'd think you'd want to keep good people.  But he is happy to help them advance their careers. It helped me see what FCCS may be trying to do with football and all the dismissals from a program. It isn't only about the most talented athletes. I don't know how many years he'll get to get back to the winning but the good news is, as of now, the soccer team is pretty healthy. Injuries were a big part of last year.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

3 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

He realizes that you eventually have to win to keep your job but to change the culture of a program takes time. 

I didn’t realize the MSoccer program’s culture needed changing ..... or was that just a generic type view?

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

I didn’t realize the MSoccer program’s culture needed changing ..... or was that just a generic type view?

There were some things that weren't ideal when he came on board.  He feels we are headed in the right direction.  Coaches are always optimistic, bless their souls.  They wouldn't want me to coach.  

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,561
  • Days Won:  423

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

There were some things that weren't ideal when he came on board.  He feels we are headed in the right direction.  Coaches are always optimistic when talking to donors, bless their souls.  They wouldn't want me to coach.  

Edited to reflect my opinion ....

2 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Edited to reflect my opinion ....

That could be true. But you listen to Brian Gregory and you believe he believes what he's saying. Get the same feeling from Coach Butehorn. But our conversation was about things outside of wins/losses.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,853
  • Days Won:  67

4 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

That could be true. But you listen to Brian Gregory and you believe he believes what he's saying. Get the same feeling from Coach Butehorn. But our conversation was about things outside of wins/losses.

I knew I liked you, you do a shot of fireball before every FB game for good luck.  You gave me and my wife a shot at the alumni get together before the Houston game last year if memory serves me right. Unfortunately they have not won a game since I took that shot but I won’t hold it against you, nice to see a familiar face.  Hope to see you in Atlanta

Guest Jonesy Bull

He had pretty good success at FGCU (smaller program but still).. It seems to be taking a little longer for him to get it going at USF.  When seems a little strange to me, because the majority of the time we are at least a little above average (rarely average to below average which has been lately).....Maybe we needed to hit the re-set button.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

It’s a fine balance like everything in life but I trust he recognizes that winning is the best way to make sure you get to effect change. You believe that CSH was trying to implement a culture shift here and while it maybe admirable he hasn’t gotten to implement very many changes here while coaching in lalatech.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, Jonesy Bull said:

He had pretty good success at FGCU (smaller program but still).. It seems to be taking a little longer for him to get it going at USF.  When seems a little strange to me, because the majority of the time we are at least a little above average (rarely average to below average which has been lately).....Maybe we needed to hit the re-set button.

He has only been here one year right? 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  153
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

19 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

He has only been here one year right? 

He is starting his third year this season. His first was 2017.