• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kendal Briles Offense

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,294
  • Days Won:  0

Let’s hope Sterlin was taking notes because that was the most exciting display of offense I’ve seen in a long time. 

If we could incorporate (steal) half of their plays we’d be much improved instantly.

Edited by NovaBull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, NovaBull said:

Let’s hope Sterlin was taking notes because that was the most exciting display of offense I’ve seen in a long time. 

If we could incorporate (steal) half of their plays we’d be much improved instantly.

There are many boycotting Hou home games because they hired that scum bag. But yeah, I like the play calling. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,258
  • Days Won:  1

Even though i would love to see Sterling start to call plays like houston did, I just don't see it happening. I'm kinda surprised Barnett hasn't started to audible in the red zone when gilbert calls for a hb dive acting like he is settling for fg's when you won't beat houston without td's. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Gilbert subscribes to the same mindset that Taggart used the first 2 years he was here. That being we will line up and run it down your throat and do it even when you know its coming. Works to a limited degree against lesser teams. Not so much with teams of similar athleticsm or against a better DC.   When it comes time to situational football he doesn’t have enough plays to change things up. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

5 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Gilbert subscribes to the same mindset that Taggart used the first 2 years he was here. That being we will line up and run it down your throat and do it even when you know its coming. Works to a limited degree against lesser teams. Not so much with teams of similar athleticsm or against a better DC.   When it comes time to situational football he doesn’t have enough plays to change things up. 

Last year, people were waiting for Gilbert to open up the playbook. It never happened. That absolute vanilla offense he ran was all there was. Briles on the other hand is as good an OC as there is. He was at FAU last year, and they had an outstanding offense as well....with Driskell at QB. Driskell was no D'Eriq King when it came to mobility, but Briles knows how to tailor the offense to the personnel he has. That offense looked unstoppable from 4 or 5 games into to the season onward. Gilbert runs the same exact thing no matter the QB. Extremely simple offense.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Last year, people were waiting for Gilbert to open up the playbook. It never happened. That absolute vanilla offense he ran was all there was. Briles on the other hand is as good an OC as there is. He was at FAU last year, and they had an outstanding offense as well....with Driskell at QB. Driskell was no D'Eriq King when it came to mobility, but Briles knows how to tailor the offense to the personnel he has. That offense looked unstoppable from 4 or 5 games into to the season onward. Gilbert runs the same exact thing no matter the QB. Extremely simple offense.

Don’t let that influence the fact the Kendal Briles is a scum bag and was a key figure in the Baylor **** case.  There are many who lived in Houston who are refusing to go to the home games.  

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Don’t let that influence the fact the Kendal Briles is a scum bag and was a key figure in the Baylor **** case.  There are many who lived in Houston who are refusing to go to the home games.  

I'm not defending his character at all, just pointing out that he is an outstanding OC.  

Just now, USFBulls727 said:

I'm not defending his character at all, just pointing out that he is an outstanding OC.  

I get that, it’s just hard to see how Hou hires this guy. The offensive philosophy is better than the person who uses it. 

I read his wiki page on what he said to that recruit, and how he may have encouraged what was going on there, which is just mind blowing. Agree that it's a bit surprising that anyone would hire a guy with THAT kind of baggage. Just goes to show you that if you're good enough, some programs will overlook about anything.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

At least the loss is out of the way... now I can just sit and watch the young guys get better.  I don't care about Houston's offense, I think once Barnett really picks it up... we'll be good.  I like the way Ford moves through the plays we have.  I like the running game and much of the passing game, I just don't like the play calling at times.  I like the way Cronkrite hits the holes and accelerates, he understands the blocking scheme.  I like our offense, I just don't like the play calling.  

• Upvote 1