• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Kicking Question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  52
  • Days Won:  0

I've been looking at the numbers, and I just don't understand how Jake Vivonetto lost his job to Coby Weiss. He won the job in fall camp, started the first two games of the season and went 2/2 on field goals with a long of 41 yards.Then apparently he got sick (according to an article I read on Weiss after his game winner vs Tulsa) and never got the job back.

Weiss comes in and is 7/10 on FGs, which doesn't look too bad except for the fact that he is 2/5 on FGs further than 30 yards. That is not good...At all... Sure he hit the game winner at Tulsa but that was a very short FG that any kicker should make. I just don't know how you punish a guy for getting sick, who won the job in camp and has yet to miss a FG in a game. It would be one thing if Weiss came in and lit it the world on fire but he hasn't at all. I have very little faith in our kicking game whenever we line up for a FG.

I don't know, maybe Vivonetto's injury/sickness is worse than we know. Maybe he looks horrible in practice. Maybe they just wanna go with the younger guy.... It's just weird to me because most coaches don't have guys lose starting positions for getting injured.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

9 minutes ago, Bobby said:

I've been looking at the numbers, and I just don't understand how Jake Vivonetto lost his job to Coby Weiss. He won the job in fall camp, started the first two games of the season and went 2/2 on field goals with a long of 41 yards.Then apparently he got sick (according to an article I read on Weiss after his game winner vs Tulsa) and never got the job back.

Weiss comes in and is 7/10 on FGs, which doesn't look too bad except for the fact that he is 2/5 on FGs further than 30 yards. That is not good...At all... Sure he hit the game winner at Tulsa but that was a very short FG that any kicker should make. I just don't know how you punish a guy for getting sick, who won the job in camp and has yet to miss a FG in a game. It would be one thing if Weiss came in and lit it the world on fire but he hasn't at all. I have very little faith in our kicking game whenever we line up for a FG.

I don't know, maybe Vivonetto's injury/sickness is worse than we know. Maybe he looks horrible in practice. Maybe they just wanna go with the younger guy.... It's just weird to me because most coaches don't have guys lose starting positions for getting injured.

It has been one of the many personnel mysteries that are the result of CCS and staff's close to the vest policy. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

Are the Gramattica kids old enough for a scholarship yet?

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  1,342
  • Days Won:  2

This would be a great story for our beat reporter.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Rumor has it that Vivonetto lost kicking leg due to mysterious illness.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

37 minutes ago, Capital H said:

Are the Gramattica kids old enough for a scholarship yet?

They have children right? Offer each one at age 8 for all I care. The Gramatica family has been money for USF. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

5 hours ago, BullFan98 said:

Rumor has it that Vivonetto lost kicking leg due to mysterious illness.

Did former coach WT break his foot too?

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Bobby said:

Sure he hit the game winner at Tulsa but that was a very short FG that any kicker should make.

Am I the only one who thought we was going to miss that kick. I was at Rutgers in 2011 and watched our kicker miss basically from the same distance so i thought sh** here we go again. So many moments of this season have given me bad flashbacks.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Weiss does not seem to have a strong leg.  A lot of his kicks tend to have a low trajectory and he seems to struggle from 40+ yards.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

I’ve been asking this same question for weeks without any answer. I thought Vivonetto looked great to start the year. 

• Upvote 1