• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Defense observation

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Why can't our defense hold a large lead...is it because Strong once we get up big likes to put in younger guys for experience and to save players or do players take intensity down a great deal and let teams move the ball and Strong is ok with them eating up game clock?

These are leads we had in several games this season and if we had kept them I feel many would not be as quite as upset about the defense.

Uconn  31-14 early 4th quarter

Umass 51-28 early 4th quarter

Elon 31-0 mid 3rd quarter.

This defense seems to play its best when in a tight game but once we get any sort of decent lead it all goes down hill.  One positive is I really doubt we will get a big

lead vs Houston so we won't blow any big score. 

My guess is that the defense isn't quite as horrible as some think it is...it isn't going to hold Houston to under 20 but I think they can maybe hold them near 35 and that gives 

us a punchers chance on the road.

Go Bulls.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  361
  • Days Won:  0

What’s amazing is that USF coaches knew that If you can controll the Uconn quarterback you shut down their entire offense. I get that he’s a great athlete and he’s going to make some plays but Uconn had over 300 yards rushing. that’s just terrible coaching and playing ! the offense cannot sustain drives Making the defense play extra minutes. Uconn had 10 more min. Of possession. 

Excited that they’re ranked and believe they should be however I can See them going 2 -3in the last five games.  They have the talent to fix it not sure they can.

Edited by Massbull
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Were there backups in the 4th? I did not catch that. It looked to me the starters were in there. 

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

We have been doing some strange things on both sides of the ball all year. 

With a running QB that has been having success and with not much success passing, you would think we would crowd tge line a little and force some throws. On obvious passing downs I recall seeing 1 blitz all night. Pindall had about 8 seconds to throw on 2 at least plays. 

On offense we sleep through the first half, but then throw the ball short to the outside. Move downfield, score easily when we want, get up 2 scores then go back to running between the tackles. 

Were we holding back?  One throw all night to Salomon? No throws to Wilcox in 2nd half?  

Both DCs know what needs to be done. They do it when needed then go back into slow down/prevent mode. 

Weird season so far. 

We have to be near the bottom in red zone defense. Teams are getting more and more TDs. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,734
  • Content Count:  37,585
  • Days Won:  29

2 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

We have been doing some strange things on both sides of the ball all year. 

Weird season so far. 

Agree.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,486

Looking at the UConn defense, you'd think Gilbert would have been licking his chops when making the game plan.  I'm not sure what happened....

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  271

Defense has had trouble stopping the run all season

1 hour ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Looking at the UConn defense, you'd think Gilbert would have been licking his chops when making the game plan.  I'm not sure what happened....

He did lick his chops...but he was wrong 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

I read the title and figured you were going to tell us that they've done a lot of observing while on the field.