• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

18 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Keep building that strawman where I don't enjoy the wins or the season, tis the season for them, ya know.   I enjoy the wins just not encouraged that this team will meet our goals for the season (we all want to win a CC).  It's possible to enjoy the hell out of something while recognizing the process may not be sustainable to get your desired results.   "Enjoy the hell out of it while it lasts" and all..... 

This. No one is really saying that we aren't happy being 5-0. We are happy, but concerned with what the rest of the season holds. Hopefully, the team continues to improve on a week-to-week basis. We will need to be much better than we have been to survive the last 5 games of the season. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

13 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This. No one is really saying that we aren't happy being 5-0. We are happy, but concerned with what the rest of the season holds. Hopefully, the team continues begins to improve on a week-to-week basis. We will need to be much better than we have been to survive the last 5 games of the season. 

8 minutes ago, JTrue said:

We have seen improvement in the offensive and defensive in running game over the last few weeks. In the second half of the Illinois game, we held the illini to 66 yards on 22 carries (3 ypc). Against ECU they ran a lot, 46 times for 156 yards, but only averaged 3.4 ypc, and against UMASS we held them to 85 yards on 34 carries (2.5 ypc). 

Edited by BullyPulpit

6 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

We have seen improvement in the offensively and defensively in running game over the last few weeks. In the second half of the Illinois game, we held the illini to 66 yards on 22 carries (3 ypc). Against ECU they ran a lot, 46 times for 156 yards, but only averaged 3.4 ypc, and against UMASS we held them to 85 yards on 34 carries (2.5 ypc). 

While I think we have shown improvement in some areas since the start of the year, I wouldn't argue that we look like an improved team. Run defense might be better, but our passing game doesn't appear to be. Penalties are still a problem. For every area of improvement, you can find one that hasn't or even a decline.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Kicking was good, then bad, now good (or at least improving without the ghost (Vivonetto)).

Just now, JTrue said:

While I think we have shown improvement in some areas since the start of the year, I wouldn't argue that we look like an improved team. Run defense might be better, but our passing game doesn't appear to be. Penalties are still a problem. 

The passing game can be a fickle beast. First, BB wasn't getting protection. Then, he wasn't making good passes. Against UMASS the protection was better, as were BB's throws, but we had too many drops from the WRs. This is the issue with relying on a true pocket passing offense. All three phases have to be going well in order to succeed. With a true running QB (Flowers) you can hide your deficiencies in other areas. With that being said, i think eventually, it is all going to come together. We just have to keep the faith. 

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

The passing game can be a fickle beast. First, BB wasn't getting protection. Then, he wasn't making good passes. Against UMASS the protection was better, as were BB's throws, but we had too many drops from the WRs. This is the issue with relying on a true pocket passing offense. All three phases have to be going well in order to succeed. With a true running QB (Flowers) you can hide your deficiencies in other areas. With that being said, i think eventually, it is all going to come together. We just have to keep the faith. 

I completely get why it's not clicking, but that's my point. We improve in one area, take a step back in another. A WR steps up and looks good, another has 2 drops. Line is clicking, BB is off. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

I'm going to try and not be sooooo critical the rest of the season. 🙄

1 minute ago, JTrue said:

I completely get why it's not clicking, but that's my point. We improve in one area, take a step back in another. A WR steps up and looks good, another has 2 drops. Line is clicking, BB is off. 

We are just going to have to deal with it, and we have been able to do so thus far. This offense is designed for a pocket passing QB. The HB dives are to pull up the LBs and keep the safeties honest so that the field opens up for the passing game. The problem is when one thing is off, the entire system is susceptible. I don't think this week will be a complete performance, but I really think UCONN is going to breed confidence in our players and set us up nicely for the home stretch! 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

14 hours ago, Triple B said:

I guess I'll let you young whippersnappers get all frustrated and concerned about stuff that hasn't happened yet ... may not happen. Life's too short, so I'll just continue to go blissfully along, enjoying 5-0 and mourn another year of no conf championship if/when we're actually eliminated.

57 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Keep building that strawman where I don't enjoy the wins or the season, tis the season for them, ya know.   I enjoy the wins just not encouraged that this team will meet our goals for the season (we all want to win a CC).  It's possible to enjoy the hell out of something while recognizing the process may not be sustainable to get your desired results.   "Enjoy the hell out of it while it lasts" and all..... 

Talk about strawman building ..... Please point out where I said you're not enjoying the wins. You, figuratively speaking, can enjoy the wins but still go on and on about getting frustrated and concerned over things that haven't happened yet ..... and that's all over this board. That's all I was talking about.

• Upvote 1