• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

not sure you can really determine anything with 5 attempts and 7 attempts passing in 5 games. would have been nice to get them in a couple more blowout games

Maybe we will see more this Friday but from the little I’ve seen, what I’ve heard and our history of replacing QBs I’m not quite as Bullish as you are on our pair of backups. Who do you think is better Kean or Oladokun? Typically when you have been practicing in a system and have a leg up and someone comes in from left field and sweeps the job out from under you it’s not because you are great but maybe this is an exception and we have three good QBs on our roster at one time (which is amazing since we have only had four in the history of the program).

Edited by puc86

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Just now, puc86 said:

Maybe we will see more this Friday but from the little I’ve seen, what I’ve heard and our history of replacing QBs I’m not quite as Bullish as you are one our pair of backups. Who do you think is better Kean or Oladokun? Typically when you have been practicing in a system and have a leg up and someone comes in from left field and sweeps the job out from under you it’s not because you are great but maybe this is an exception and we have three good QBs on our roster at one time (which is amazing since we have only had four in the history of the program).

Personally I liked Kean's pedigree better. Put up  better numbers in high school. The guy who beat him out started at Alabama as a freshman. No shame in that . Not sure any of them would end up in our top 4 but they wouldn't be in there with Banks, Julmiste etc. either.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Bull94 said:

But according to some on here 5 star grad transfer Barnett will leave for the draft next year and we would have beaten UCF last year with him and he fits Dilbert's offense better.....

Cincy is 6-0 this year with a freshman QB that replaced a 5th year senior starter on a team that won 4 games last year and returned the same number of starters as us.

I never saw you use the rebuilding excuse when Taggart had a poor record and had to overhaul an entire roster including starting two true freshman QBs.

Ridder also isn't asked to throw much... which is why he averages less than 200 yards passing per game.  Cincy is a run team, Barnett is a better QB than Ridder, no debate or question, even the eye test will tell you that.  I've watched some Cincy games, the protect him which it smart... but if you think he'll beat anyone with his arm right now, you need glasses.  

Edited by Calibull

Just now, Calibull said:

Ridder also isn't asked to throw much... which is why he averages less than 200 yards passing per game.  Cincy is a run team, Barnett is a batter QB than Ridder, even the eye test will tell you that.  I've watched some Cincy games, the protect him which it smart... but if you think he'll beat anyone with his arm right now, you need glasses.  

where did I say he was better than Barnett? I said they are 6-0 with a freshman QB after going 4-8 with a current 5th year senior the year before. If anything you make my point more valid. I never said we were rebuilding with barnett.

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

where did I say he was better than Barnett? I said they are 6-0 with a freshman QB after going 4-8 with a current 5th year senior the year before. If anything you make my point more valid. I never said we were rebuilding with barnett.

They had a first year coach last season.  You'd expect, with the exception of Taggart, that a team will improve.  Playing UCLA, Alabama A&M, Uconn, and Tulane will make a running team look great.  The best team they played was Ohio... their schedule has been worst than ours...  but they looked more impressive doing it... against lesser competition.  

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

26-4 you say? Sold...I'll take whining about a player here & player there vs the whole team playing like hot garbage. Happy to have what we have, and getting quality recruits to keep the train running helps.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Calibull said:

They had a first year coach last season.  You'd expect, with the exception of Taggart, that a team will improve.  Playing UCLA, Alabama A&M, Uconn, and Tulane will make a running team look great.  The best team they played was Ohio... their schedule has been worst than ours...  but they looked more impressive doing it... against lesser competition.  

I'm not sure what your argument is with me. I only said that Cincy is winning with a new QB. Used them as an example of a team replacing their 2 year starter QB with a freshman and not only aren't they rebuilding but they are having more success than they had last year. Not sure why you felt it necessary to take a shot at Taggart. He rebuilt our program from the ground up and I am very thankful for that.

I really thought our defense would have improved from last year to this. Doesn't seem to be the case. #14 scoring D to #65. hope we get that fixed.

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

I'm not sure what your argument is with me. I only said that Cincy is winning with a new QB. Used them as an example of a team replacing their 2 year starter QB with a freshman and not only aren't they rebuilding but they are having more success than they had last year. Not sure why you felt it necessary to take a shot at Taggart. He rebuilt our program from the ground up and I am very thankful for that.

I really thought our defense would have improved from last year to this. Doesn't seem to be the case. #14 scoring D to #65. hope we get that fixed.

I'm not arguing with you right here. I was just venting about those who talk schedules.  I don't actually disagree and I always take shots at Taggart... I give Taggart credit for helping rebuild,, but to be honest any good coach could have come in and fixed Holtz's mess.   It was literally THAT BAD.  But I also see Taggarts shortcomings... for a head coach to not actually care about his defense, that to me is crazy.  I say that because Woodie had no reason being a DC.  He should have been fired midseason.  

I'm not really that worried about the defense, they have gotten better as the season has gone along.  Those 4 quarter points against UMass sucked... but most of that was us letting our foot off the gas when we went up 48-21 and we wasted 3 drives to get Conkrite over 300... which I have no problem with.  But they got a large chunk of their yards and points then.  I will say we need to learn how to put things away, but I did like that a ton of young guys got extended playing time because I think it helps our depth.  Our defense has locked down against the run starting that 3rd quarter at Illinois.  The pass defense is good, I'm not going to base too much on the end of the game at UMass.  But our running game has been stout the past 10 quarters, that's to me is improving.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

Agree...I am actually glad we went through the Skip Holtz days...it makes me appreciate how bad it could be...we have one of the best winning percentages in all of CFB over the past 4 years...I will take it 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

13 hours ago, Triple B said:

The status quo is playing winning football, bottom line.

I guess I'll let you young whippersnappers get all frustrated and concerned about stuff that hasn't happened yet ... may not happen. Life's too short, so I'll just continue to go blissfully along, enjoying 5-0 and mourn another year of no conf championship if/when we're actually eliminated.

Keep building that strawman where I don't enjoy the wins or the season, tis the season for them, ya know.   I enjoy the wins just not encouraged that this team will meet our goals for the season (we all want to win a CC).  It's possible to enjoy the hell out of something while recognizing the process may not be sustainable to get your desired results.   "Enjoy the hell out of it while it lasts" and all..... 

Edited by Bull Dozer
  • Upvote 1