• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, Triple B said:

Three choices. You have to add "THIS TEAM SUCKS I CAN'T BELIEVE WE WON" ....... and for the record, you just happened to be the one going back and forth with me on this and you're probably one of the last this is aimed at.

Thursdays has been slow, what can I say! Besides they say old people need to have social interaction to keep sharp.  I'm doing you a favor 😉 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,733
  • Days Won:  425

4 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Thursdays has been slow, what can I say! Besides they say old people need to have social interaction to keep sharp.  I'm doing you a favor 😉 

Every day is slow for me so I do appreciate the favor ...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

we give up 2.8 first downs by penalty every game. we get 1.0 first downs by penalty. 1.8 difference in first downs

UF 2.3 give up 1.7 get  difference .6

OSU 2.7 give up 2.5 get .2 difference

the difference in first downs by penalty per game for us is 3 times as high as UF and 9 times as high as OSU

offensive penalties are correlated with win loss record

Yep, you are absolutely correct. This has been a serious issue. I can’t remember too many past USF  teams where untimely penalties have not hurt us. It was a serious issue in the Jim Leavitt era too. Maybe it’s in our DNA? 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

18 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I was like what a nice piece but then they had to go all ESPN/TBT/thebullspen on me talking about transfers and losing 4 of the last 7.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

37 minutes ago, OcalaBull2 said:

Yep saw this...not bad. Espn is certainly having a better day with USF than the TBT. 😂

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

No amount of winning while a member of the AAC will ever get USF a schedule that has as many highly regarded teams as when we were in the Big East-- which for all of its quirks and general lack of interest by the ESPN cabal, still had us facing 5 teams that are now part of the P5 on a yearly basis (WVU, Pitt, Cuse, UL, Rutgers). Granted that those teams are not all doing great or impressive currently (Rutgers, UL) but they were somewhat respected compared to the lesser teams of the AAC.

Anyway-- losing that big boy conference affiliation-- as tenuous and so often ridiculed while we were in it - is the biggest setback our program has faced. Bigger than the CSH error. The loss of money and general prestige that we weaseled our way into is gone until we can get back to one of the P5.

As for this season-- there are some excellent points made about our team here and whether we are really all that good even over the last 3 years or so. Based on who we played-- something outside our general control from a conference standpoint-- we are not. Style points aside, we simply cannot put together a schedule that is equivalent to the Big East days. So of course our big wins are marginalized. USF is playing in a second rate football league (at least that is how we are seen) so our victories, our ranking, and our overall impression is diluted.

I got excited early on with some things I saw USF doing well. I am less hyped on the team in general right now. I think we are decent. We probably have some good talent and can hang with some top teams, even beat some of them on a good day. Some keep pointing out that we replaced less starters than UCF did. That speaks to the overall number but not the importance of the positions replaced imo. Comparing this team to last year and you can see how green we are out there. Prone to mistakes, occasionally lacking either discipline or cohesiveness required to maximize effort.

On the positive side, we have a ton of heart. We never give up. We show flashes of brilliance at all positions. The younger starters are getting great experience as is the team as a whole. And we are winning which is never a bad thing for morale. We will probably lose a few games this year. Not sure if I would go as far as saying 4 games- but time will tell and I would let things play out before we get to over wrought about these things that haven't happened. Remember-- this is why they play the games in the first place. You just never know. All the rankings and statistics are meaningless compared to the ultimate one-- the final score.

So try to enjoy this season for what it offers. Watch this team grow. Keep your expectations realistic and understand that these are 18-23 year old men who are out there giving their all. They might not always get it right or seem like they are improving from week to week. The teams they line up against are in the same struggle as well. But let's not dust off that space for the conference championship trophy just yet. This team has a lot of work to do before that happens.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  571
  • Days Won:  0

USF only favored in 3 of final 7 matchups? loot to be made.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

17 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

USF is 3-6 ATS in its last 9 road games.

Now we are 3-7 ATS in our last 10 road games but the good news is we are now 27-4 in our last 31 games.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

6 hours ago, puc86 said:

Now we are 3-7 ATS in our last 10 road games but the good news is we are now 27-4 in our last 31 games.

I'm not following this number (3-7 ATS). Did you mean 4-6?

Edited by Azmodi