• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF not top 50 material according to ESPN+ article

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

20 minutes ago, MikeG said:

The Bulls are 5-0, but it's hard to call them a good team. South Florida is certainly an undisciplined one, as Charlie Strong's first edition finished ahead of only Oregon in both penalties and penalty yardage last year, and once again ranks outside the top 100 midway through this season.

The defense is less than the sum of its talented parts, while the offense has little consistency and

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Strong here. 15-2 record here for Charlie, but anybody know what the combined record of our opponents is over that stretch? I'm guessing way below .500? We certainly are undisciplined. He also mentioned that the Defense is less than the sum of it's talented parts, which could probably be said of the Offense as well.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  159

19 hours ago, Triple B said:

What's kind of funny is that we have multiple threads sounding off about how bad we've looked winning yet when an AP voter "votes" reflecting the same sentiment, some go ape **** crazy ...... tis a reminder that fan is short for fanatic.

Response to quote above.... This thread is a little different imo -- but was once again over taken by ranking discussions, mostly in response to the "not even top 50 remark".

this is for everyone....

I think most of our reasonable fans have a rational attitude about where we really stand (somewhere around the thirties) based on watching this team. We get that our place in this ranking is a little smoke and mirrors for the moment until we get to throw down against the tougher teams on the schedule. Reality will probably hit somewhere there-- good or bad.

In the end though-- rankings are only helpful for skewing the perception of those who do not following our team closely. Rankings do not win conference championships. Our team has to prove it on the field every game just like anyone else. Keep the W's coming and let the chips fall where they may in the end.

The only reason rankings might ever matter is if we run the table and get a shot at that New Years bowl game -- one which we will have earned. Understand though that we have proved nothing more than we can scrape together wins at this point. We are not wowing anyone with this team. And if we go 10-2 this season, that is a great year for this team-- everything over that is a bonus imo. 12-0 can happen but man do we need to get things figured out fast. That said-- we could also end up 8-4. So let's enjoy the ride. Beats the hell out of 2-10

Edited by MikeG
fixed some wording
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I browsed those rankings and they seem a little quirky to me. Some stuff just doesn't add up. Sorry I have no examples-- just the feeling I got looking through it.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

6 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Espn the whore of the Pee 5...cute article...

somebody say "whore"

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we have won ugly no denying that

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

We need to beat some better teams.  This team has looked undisciplined and mediocre at times.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,055
  • Days Won:  38

6 hours ago, MikeG said:

12-0 can happen but man do we need to get things figured out fast. 

Usually it doesn't get figured out that fast.  If it hasn't been figured out by now, I wonder if anything is going to change.  There's been plenty of games to figure it out already this season, so maybe this is what it is.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

I wouldn’t put too much stock in these rankings. We  are a very good team when we need to be. I just don’t understand why CCS keeps his foot off the throttle so much. The hurry up offense scores about every time. Maybe he is trying to keep his defense from getting tired. 3 and outs don’t help the defense though.

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:
8 hours ago, MikeG said:

12-0 can happen but man do we need to get things figured out fast. 

Usually it doesn't get figured out that fast.  If it hasn't been figured out by now, I wonder if anything is going to change.  There's been plenty of games to figure it out already this season, so maybe this is what it is.

I really hate when people quote a single line as if that is all that was said-- major pet peeve of mine since it takes the context completely out of what was said. It is not like I think we are destined to make it to 12-0 or that things will turn around fast. So glad I wrote that whole thing to have some one single out the least important line of the entire thing.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

8 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Not exactly a ringing endorsement of Strong here. 15-2 record here for Charlie, but anybody know what the combined record of our opponents is over that stretch? I'm guessing way below .500? We certainly are undisciplined. He also mentioned that the Defense is less than the sum of it's talented parts, which could probably be said of the Offense as well.

With a record like that, with no wins verse anyone that matters, it's now obvious that USF football is just the tallest midget.  USF Football has fallen so far since the sacking of CJL.