• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Barnett Wins the Starting Job

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

2 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

He's got Aaron Rodgers type mobility.   Very good straight line speed and sneaky enough change of direction to pick up yards or get out of trouble when needed but nobody is going to mistake him for Lamar Jackson or Quinton Flowers.  

I think a better comparison for him actually is Watson.  They actually have very similar games and throwing motions and both will only run    when it's open.  They are pass first QBs.  I actually wouldn't compare Flowers to Jackson.  Jackson is something I haven't seen since a young Vic.  Q is allusive but doesn't really have straight line speed.  He's a bouncer... jump cuts with great vision.  Jackson is just so athletic, he has it all.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

He's just so big that he's going to be a problem for anyone.  One other thing is he actually gets the ball out of his hands pretty quickly and will step up into the pocket, even when he's about to get hit.  We've not really had that.  A lot of time Q held the ball long and he did have a tendency to move out of the pocket because of his height.  With Barnett, he will be more inclined to find a way to get the ball into a WR or RB's hand because he's a natural distributer.  I think we'll finally see the WR talent we have on the team.  Nothing against Flowers, Daniels, etc (not Blackwell) but we haven't had a QB in a long time who could take advantage of the talent we have at WR.  I'm excited because this guy has game.  Jesus Shuttlesworth would be proud... pronounced Jee-sus 😉

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, michibull said:

Which is maybe one reason CCS chose Barnett. If CCS and Gilbert prefer to run a pro style offense

1 hour ago, Corey lea said:

Sterling Gilbert has never ran a pro style... He runs veer and shoot. 

Fair enough, I was just building off michibull's point.  I am happy that we picked the best QB to fit their system.  We will have a better idea on Saturday.

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

19 minutes ago, MMW said:

Fair enough, I was just building off michibull's point.  I am happy that we picked the best QB to fit their system.  We will have a better idea on Saturday.

I agree with you, we will know more about their system for this team on Saturday. Every good coaching staff will make little adjustments to their system where appropriate, to exploit their teams strengths and cover their weaknesses. I didn't watch any of Gilbert's other offenses to know his preferred system, I was just going off of what was said about Barnett being a pocket passer. I just didn't want us making judgments on our coaching staff's choices before we have seen them play. It's fun to speculate, but the coaches know a lot more than we do. I think we have the potential to be a very solid team this year and I wouldn't be surprised if we win the conference. Year two in a new coaching staff is where we start to see what they like and want to do, year three is typically where it should really start to gel on the field; and depending on the recruiting to get the required talent to run their schemes properly. 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Strong confirms Blake Barnett will start at QB for USF  

One of the worst-kept secrets in Tampa finally was confirmed Tuesday when USF coach Charlie Strong announced graduate transfer Blake Barnett will start the Bulls' season opener Saturday against Elon.

The opening-night starter for Alabama only two seasons ago, Barnett — a seldom-used backup at Arizona State last season — edged fourth-year junior Brett Kean and third-year sophomore Chris Oladokun in a three-player derby in preseason camp.

He becomes the 15th starting quarterback in the Bulls' 22-season history.

Related: Career games to cameos: How every USF starting QB has fared in his debut

"You look at him, he has a really strong arm," Strong said during his weekly press conference Tuesday. "He can release the ball. And he runs a lot better than we thought, what we gave him credit for."

Strong said he polled every offensive assistant on who should start, acknowledging the decision wasn't a consensus. He added Barnett's experience and maturity (he's a 22-year-old married father of an infant son) also were factors in the decision.

"He's actually a pretty good athlete," Bulls senior WR Tyre McCants said. "He's done some things this camp that surprised a lot of us."

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

So who is #2? 

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So who is #2? 

Game time decision each week I would assume. Whoever had the hot hand in that weeks practice. Probably a bit situational as well. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,127
  • Days Won:  6

44 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Strong said he polled every offensive assistant on who should start, acknowledging the decision wasn't a consensus. He added Barnett's experience and maturity (he's a 22-year-old married father of an infant son) also were factors in the decision.

It wasn't a consensus...I am not sure if I should be trouble by that or happy that someone almost as good is waiting in the wings.

Also, to me "maturity" is a code word for doesn't fail a bunch of classes.  I think that really hurt Kean.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

46 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So who is #2? 

Image result for austin powers number 2 gif

• Haha 3