• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Athletics's Social Media Presence

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

"It seems that USF’s focus for its social media accounts, especially on Twitter, is simply to tweet out news and keep it largely at that, with very few exceptions. It doesn’t have to be that way. There is room for both news and personality."

Full article here:

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/1033327/Commentary-USF-Athletics-social-media-pr

Would USF benefit from more personality coming form it's social media page? or would this be to risky in this PC society?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

5 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

"It seems that USF’s focus for its social media accounts, especially on Twitter, is simply to tweet out news and keep it largely at that, with very few exceptions. It doesn’t have to be that way. There is room for both news and personality."

Full article here:

http://www.usforacle.com/news/view.php/1033327/Commentary-USF-Athletics-social-media-pr

Would USF benefit from more personality coming form it's social media page? or would this be to risky in this PC society?

I’ll admit I am a Twitter prostitute for USF sports. From my experience this article is spot on. Tweets from USF are nothing more than electronic billboards. Jim Louke is the one exception as he gives a chuckle here and there and good inside info when he tweets a comment. But let’s face it, USF marketing has been pretty bad for years. 

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,111
  • Days Won:  56

Not good examples used with the UMBC 16 beats 1 and UCF "national championship" - of course your social media presence is going to get a boost when something like that happens.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  400
  • Days Won:  2

5 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Not good examples used with the UMBC 16 beats 1 and UCF "national championship" - of course your social media presence is going to get a boost when something like that happens.

Valid point. I can't speak for the UMBC accounts since I never saw them before their big moment, but the UCF accounts have had personality before the peach bowl win. It definitely makes it more fun for me as a fan. If you look on the UCF Knights Instagram, they post some pretty funny memes and stuff when we win. There are some good ones when we swept UF in baseball. They even respond back to the butthurt gator fans.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  6,181
  • Days Won:  12

8 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Full article here:

Of course they'd benefit from having a more engaging social media presence. USF's marketing is pretty pathetic.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

Thought Vinik was supposed to fix this?

25 minutes ago, charsibb said:

I think you and others overestimated. It’s the USF Dept of Athletics way. Announce something and then it slowly fades away....

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

1 hour ago, charsibb said:

The Vinik group already worked a miracle getting a sponsor for the SunDome .... allegedly. They can only work so fast.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

I think they're doing the right thing.  No one really needs the snark and B.S. for more than a moment.  The USF twitter handles show a little humor now and then.  I wouldn't sacrifice the believability and trust for the hip, cool crap.  Otherwise they'd be barely different than that Fennil guy at the Tampa Bay Tribune no one trusts.  Afterall, while UMBC's twitter following went up, it will go down by tip-off next season.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I think they're doing the right thing.  No one really needs the snark and B.S. for more than a moment.  The USF twitter handles show a little humor now and then.  I wouldn't sacrifice the believability and trust for the hip, cool crap.  Otherwise they'd be barely different than that Fennil guy at the Tampa Bay Tribune no one trusts.  Afterall, while UMBC's twitter following went up, it will go down by tip-off next season.

I generally agree with this but exposure is measured by followers and USF athletics does not have it. Maybe there is a happy medium there. We don’t have to go full “hip” but maybe just a little “cool.”