• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The ucf Experience

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

13 hours ago, JTrue said:

7) Are we really trying to downplay the cell phone thing? "But we have NFL lights, so we're better and that was dumb..." Don't know what it looked like on TV, but inside the stadium, it was pretty awesome. The guys I was with said, "I didn't know that was a thing we did, but we do now!"

7) Traffic getting out of the parking garages? You sound like whiny little bitches. If USF decided to have every person on campus leave the campus at once, do you really think you'd be getting out of our garages any faster. Hell, it takes 20 minutes to get off campus right now at 5:00 on a school day. 

I was there for WVU. Yes, it was a great atmosphere. But, you're lying if you think yesterday didn't smoke every other game you've ever seen as a USF fan. 

Also, an OCS would be very nice to have.

You have two sevens but you are right about the traffic. Working on campus we try to leave at 4:45 to avoid the apocalypse. An OCS would be traffic armageddon. Fletcher just can't be widened. Fowler at 4 lanes in each direction is dead at 5 pm with normal traffic. Heck, leaving an event at Amalie can be pretty bad and even getting out of the parking garage by the Straz can be bad. Big events mean an egress SNAFU.

Yes, the cell phone lights looked great on tv. I'm not sure people were saying NFL lights were superior just saying why that wouldn't work for us.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

Had no issues except for parking. Ended up at the Publix on mcullough (at least it was free I guess)

Definitelywant an OCS, but definitely not like that one. It is highschool+ quality.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

13 hours ago, 206BULL said:

The lack of support for this team in the community. We packed Ray Jay on a weekly basis in the mid 2000s and never dreamed of using it as an excuse to attend games. If anything my friends and classmates saw playing at Ray Jay as a positive. Attendance is down everywhere and in every sport in this country. Just because we sink a couple hundred mil into a shiny new stadium we are not fixing that, we will see an increase for a couple of seasons because people like shiny new toys but it is not a long term solution(see band aid analogy). 

Hopefully some day it makes sense but it does not in this current climate. If you or anyone else say “I’ll attend more games because it me on campus” I call bull ****. I agree you will for a few years but will treat it the same as Ray Jay soon enough. Want proof of why I believe that? Look at attendance trends for every single team after a new stadium was built in every sport. As soon as that lipstick starts to fade the pig rears it’s ugly head once again. 

I and others have spoken before about the cultural tsunami happening that you mentioned here. In person sports attendance is down and nobody, not all the big brains the NFL and other professional sports money can buy, knows how to fix it.  Real in person attendance is the big open secret in college football but only the local press publicizes it for USF. There are a few land grant historical schools holding on in the rural towns with monied alumni and 100 year tradition but even they are seeing dips in attendance and today's students may not be religiously RV'ing to every game in 20 years when they are comfortable alumni.

The other gaping bullet wound is our conference and our schedule. When you can see the Lightning, when you can see the Bucs, when you can see the Rays, when you have first class theater at the Straz, when you have beaches and theme parks you better provide competitive entertainment value for the consumer dollar. This isn't Ruston, LA where the football team is the only game in town and they average 21k(paid).

For your final point. Marlins are 5 years into their new stadium, the smallest capacity MLB stadium and they average 20K in a metropolitan region of 5 million people. Including a well publicized Phillies game with 1,590 in the stands.

I'm not sure in the new economic reality it will ever make sense to have one rather than share a professional one. The atmosphere at UCF looked amazing and I'd love one but I don't see the financial upside for it. Show me a P5 invite and I'll be totally in favor, show me a massive donation and I'll be in favor though think it might do more academically. Right now I agree it just doesn't seem to be the right thing to do.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  615
  • Days Won:  1

glad most you enjoyed it.

obviously love the OCS but there are a few aesthetic upgrades that can still get done, I think the benches on the away side should have gold covers. When it's full like USF it looks amazing regardless but 30k crowds it would look better to tv audiences instead as much exposed steel. I was watching the LSU game and there were pockets of empty seats in the 2nd half but it doesn't look nearly as bad bc the benches are yellow

Edited by ambienknights
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,684
  • Days Won:  8

Decline in live sports attendance is why I'm fine with ISF having a rather small OCS.... we get like 30k to RayJay.... I think a 40k stadium would be fine. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

Are there others that think over 200 million is an insane price to pay for an OCS? Talk about a poor ROI.

If we were actually serious about an OCS we would look at something between the Bouncy House and the proposed stadium.

Many of us alumni are spoiled by the Club area and plush seats...not so sure all of those luxuries are required for a new stadium.

A study needs to be done to see what is actually realistic and feasible. A number north of 200 million sure is not either of those.

I was at the game Friday and caught myself being in awe of the atmosphere a couple of times. I have also been in that stadium when it is half full and a total snoozefest.

An OCS solves very little in my opinion. As long as we are in this awful conference, that will never change. 

What will $125 million get us? I have no idea, but we need to find out.

Edited by gmanbull93

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

12 minutes ago, gmanbull93 said:

Are there others that think over 200 million is an insane price to pay for an OCS? Talk about a poor ROI.

If we were actually serious about an OCS we would look at something between the Bouncy House and the proposed stadium.

Many of us alumni are spoiled by the Club area and plush seats...not so sure all of those luxuries are required for a new stadium.

A study needs to be done to see what is actually realistic and feasible. A number north of 200 million sure is not either of those.

I was at the game Friday and caught myself being in awe of the atmosphere a couple of times. I have also been in that stadium when it is half full and a total snoozefest.

An OCS solves very little in my opinion. As long as we are in this awful conference, that will never change. 

I trust USF to do this right.  They've been spot on, on all of the latest facilities.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

31 minutes ago, gmanbull93 said:

Here is what $135 mil will get you 

935E113D-20DB-4B11-A3C0-167739815F23.jpeg

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,011
  • Days Won:  469

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Here is what $135 mil will get you 

935E113D-20DB-4B11-A3C0-167739815F23.jpeg

It's crooked.

• Topic Count:  1,518