• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The ucf Experience

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,517
  • Days Won:  422

50 minutes ago, Gismo said:

I would love an on campus stadium. However, it won't solve our attendance or 'game atmospshere' issues.

18 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

Disagree to both.

How would it solve our attendance issue, other than possibly student attendance?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

How would it solve our attendance issue, other than possibly student attendance?

I too would like to know. An OCS is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. It will slow the bleeding down for a while but at the end of the day it fixes nothing. 

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  2

5 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I would go to more games, I have a family of 4. I believe that a lot more people would go to more games, particularly those folks that live by the campus. I would say definitely more students as opposed to “possibly” more students.

4 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

I too would like to know. An OCS is putting a band aid on a bullet wound. It will slow the bleeding down for a while but at the end of the day it fixes nothing. 

What is the “bullet wound” in your opinion?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

I'll weigh in here since I've been off the grid for a couple days attending the game. I've never had a bad experience at a UCF, but this one blew the others out of the water.

The game was the game. There are a 100 threads going with everyone going from one extreme to the other. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle on that. I don't feel like wading through it all to throw in my take into one of them, so I'll wedge it in here.

1) I thought our offense did a great job. Looked like they went all out to stop the run and QF's passing stats were bonkers. Something like 300 yards in the first half. I told the people I was with, that seemed like the game plan from the start. Do not let us run and absolutely make QF win the game with his arm. He did everything he could. Had a few passes sail on him and he skipped one in there, too. But, I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams thought he would or could have a game in the air like that. No complaints on the offensive side. We couldn't abandon the run completely, so I knew we were going to pick away at it with some runs here and there. I liked that as the second half came around, QF loosened up and broke off a few nice runs. I think the took the reigns off and told him keep chucking it, but if you've got space, take it and keep them a little honest as they started backing off.

2) The defense wasn't outstanding, but hell, we had out chances and bottled them up for the middle of the game. That's not a small achievement. They came out firing in the beginning. We seemed to make some nice adjustments. Then they adjusted. It is what it is. Last year's defense would have given up 50+ in the first half. I know someone mentioned it earlier, but the defense personnel is still the same players we had last year. It blows my mind that everyone bitches about the offense not being what it was last year with the same guys (minus, you know, our two NFL players) and then glosses over the fact that this year's defense is light years better than the last one.

3) The penalties irked me. I thought the early personal foul was ********, but I guess you can't suplex a guy out from in bounds to out. I might have to look that up. Otherwise, yeah, we made some stupid penalties. It's annoying and something that needs to get cleaned up. It's definitely a reflection of coaching the little things.

4) Special teams, as always, woof. I was 100% certain we'd have something blocked, but I guess that kick return was our tradeoff. 

The atmosphere...

5) Tailgating was top notch. I was in the RV lot beforehand and after and it was legit. Good natured ribbing, but not disrespectful. After the game, I was the only USFer for miles in the area and I had about 20 strangers gush about the game to me. Not a single jerk off. Same goes for walking in and out of the game itself. Not a single person treated me with anything but respect.

6) Inside the stadium was fantastic. I've been to every USF game there and this one was above and beyond. Crowd was into it. Everyone in my section standing. I used to think the keys thing was dumb, but its been a decade now I've been watching them do it. Every tradition is dumb when it starts, but those ******* keep doing it and it stuck. Same goes for that god awful zombie nation thing. Hated it. Still hate it. But they all do it and it rocks. They started doing it when they were students and they're still doing it now that they're out of the student section and adults.

7) Are we really trying to downplay the cell phone thing? "But we have NFL lights, so we're better and that was dumb..." Don't know what it looked like on TV, but inside the stadium, it was pretty awesome. The guys I was with said, "I didn't know that was a thing we did, but we do now!"

7) Traffic getting out of the parking garages? You sound like whiny little bitches. If USF decided to have every person on campus leave the campus at once, do you really think you'd be getting out of our garages any faster. Hell, it takes 20 minutes to get off campus right now at 5:00 on a school day. 

I was there for WVU. Yes, it was a great atmosphere. But, you're lying if you think yesterday didn't smoke every other game you've ever seen as a USF fan. 

Also, an OCS would be very nice to have.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  35
  • Content Count:  6,574

8 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Tell that to Duke, UK and UNC.

Agree

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,777
  • Days Won:  6

11 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

What is the “bullet wound” in your opinion?

The lack of support for this team in the community. We packed Ray Jay on a weekly basis in the mid 2000s and never dreamed of using it as an excuse to attend games. If anything my friends and classmates saw playing at Ray Jay as a positive. Attendance is down everywhere and in every sport in this country. Just because we sink a couple hundred mil into a shiny new stadium we are not fixing that, we will see an increase for a couple of seasons because people like shiny new toys but it is not a long term solution(see band aid analogy). 

Hopefully some day it makes sense but it does not in this current climate. If you or anyone else say “I’ll attend more games because it me on campus” I call bull ****. I agree you will for a few years but will treat it the same as Ray Jay soon enough. Want proof of why I believe that? Look at attendance trends for every single team after a new stadium was built in every sport. As soon as that lipstick starts to fade the pig rears it’s ugly head once again. 

Edited by 206BULL
Autocorrect

6 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I was there for WVU. Yes, it was a great atmosphere. But, you're lying if you think yesterday didn't smoke every other game you've ever seen as a USF fan. 

This sums it up perfectly. The WVU is the pinnacle of USF home games in the home of the Pewter Pirates and it doesn’t compare to the 45,000 seat “rust bucket erector set” for a game day atmosphere.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

11 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I'll weigh in here since I've been off the grid for a couple days attending the game. I've never had a bad experience at a UCF, but this one blew the others out of the water.

The game was the game. There are a 100 threads going with everyone going from one extreme to the other. I guess I fall somewhere in the middle on that. I don't feel like wading through it all to throw in my take into one of them, so I'll wedge it in here.

1) I thought our offense did a great job. Looked like they went all out to stop the run and QF's passing stats were bonkers. Something like 300 yards in the first half. I told the people I was with, that seemed like the game plan from the start. Do not let us run and absolutely make QF win the game with his arm. He did everything he could. Had a few passes sail on him and he skipped one in there, too. But, I don't think anyone in their wildest dreams thought he would or could have a game in the air like that. No complaints on the offensive side. We couldn't abandon the run completely, so I knew we were going to pick away at it with some runs here and there. I liked that as the second half came around, QF loosened up and broke off a few nice runs. I think the took the reigns off and told him keep chucking it, but if you've got space, take it and keep them a little honest as they started backing off.

2) The defense wasn't outstanding, but hell, we had out chances and bottled them up for the middle of the game. That's not a small achievement. They came out firing in the beginning. We seemed to make some nice adjustments. Then they adjusted. It is what it is. Last year's defense would have given up 50+ in the first half. I know someone mentioned it earlier, but the defense personnel is still the same players we had last year. It blows my mind that everyone bitches about the offense not being what it was last year with the same guys (minus, you know, our two NFL players) and then glosses over the fact that this year's defense is light years better than the last one.

3) The penalties irked me. I thought the early personal foul was ********, but I guess you can't suplex a guy out from in bounds to out. I might have to look that up. Otherwise, yeah, we made some stupid penalties. It's annoying and something that needs to get cleaned up. It's definitely a reflection of coaching the little things.

4) Special teams, as always, woof. I was 100% certain we'd have something blocked, but I guess that kick return was our tradeoff. 

The atmosphere...

5) Tailgating was top notch. I was in the RV lot beforehand and after and it was legit. Good natured ribbing, but not disrespectful. After the game, I was the only USFer for miles in the area and I had about 20 strangers gush about the game to me. Not a single jerk off. Same goes for walking in and out of the game itself. Not a single person treated me with anything but respect.

6) Inside the stadium was fantastic. I've been to every USF game there and this one was above and beyond. Crowd was into it. Everyone in my section standing. I used to think the keys thing was dumb, but its been a decade now I've been watching them do it. Every tradition is dumb when it starts, but those ******* keep doing it and it stuck. Same goes for that god awful zombie nation thing. Hated it. Still hate it. But they all do it and it rocks. They started doing it when they were students and they're still doing it now that they're out of the student section and adults.

7) Are we really trying to downplay the cell phone thing? "But we have NFL lights, so we're better and that was dumb..." Don't know what it looked like on TV, but inside the stadium, it was pretty awesome. The guys I was with said, "I didn't know that was a thing we did, but we do now!"

7) Traffic getting out of the parking garages? You sound like whiny little bitches. If USF decided to have every person on campus leave the campus at once, do you really think you'd be getting out of our garages any faster. Hell, it takes 20 minutes to get off campus right now at 5:00 on a school day. 

Great post. One day when the kids are out I am king to sneak down for one of those games. I feel like I really missed something yesterday. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

11 minutes ago, SpeedBull said:

I would go to more games, I have a family of 4. I believe that a lot more people would go to more games, particularly those folks that live by the campus. I would say definitely more students as opposed to “possibly” more students.

Okay, so firstly, it’s been discussed on this board ad nauseum that there is zero evidence to suggest that an OCS would increase attendance. Secondly, the students don’t pack the Sundome. 

• Upvote 1