• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer's decision this week?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267
  • Days Won:  0

I remember it being said that he was supposed to announce his decision at the end of July, but I don't remember him dropping USF from his list of possible destinations...This article doesnt even mention us as a candidate for his transfer...are we still in the running?  Or did this article just snub us?

Clemson, USC court quarterbacks

By PHIL KORNBLUT

CLEMSON AND USC each have top junior quarterback prospects whom they hope will commit soon.

Byrnes quarterback Will Korn (6-foot-2, 200 pounds) is likely to commit to Clemson before the end of summer.

Jimmy Clausen (6-3, 190) of Westlake Village, Calif., will make a second unofficial visit to USC next month along with his father and his brother, former Tennessee quarterback Casey Clausen. His other brother, Rick, is a quarterback at Tennessee.

?We are very honored that coach Spurrier is recruiting Jimmy, and I believe coach Spurrier will have USC real good real fast,? Clausen?s father, Jim, said last week.

Clausen has about 50 offers including USC, LSU, Southern Cal, Notre Dame, Tennessee, Colorado, Michigan, Miami, Washington, UCLA, Texas and Florida State. His coach, Bill Redell, said last week the race could come down to the Gamecocks and Notre Dame. Clausen is on track to graduate from high school in December 2006 and would enroll in college the following month.

Last season Clausen completed 227 of 330 passes for 3,665 yards and 57 touchdowns and six interceptions.

Former Tennessee quarterback Brent Schaeffer could have his decision on a new school this week, according to his stepfather, Adolph Lewis. Schaeffer is deciding between Clemson and North Carolina.

Clemson picked up a commitment last week from wide receiver Kendrick Johnson (6-1, 175) of Coral Springs, Fla. He also had offers from Florida. ?My mom was sold on the opportunity to play early,? Johnson told CUTigers.com. ?The graduation rate at Clemson is incredible. My mom really liked that. She just fell in love with everyone.?

Dutch Fork offensive lineman Garrett Anderson (6-4, 265) made an unofficial visit to USC last week and has the Gamecocks in his top three along with Clemson and Virginia Tech. Anderson will make an unofficial visit to Virginia Tech this week and plans to make his decision shortly after that visit.

Dutch Fork wide receiver Steven Goulet (6-3, 185) is favoring Vanderbilt over Furman, Temple and West Virginia.

Carvers Bay offensive lineman Clifton Geathers (6-8, 270) of Carvers Bay has not trimmed his list from the more than fifty offers he has received. His offers include USC, Clemson, Georgia, Southern Cal, LSU, Tennessee, Michigan, Florida State, Miami and North Carolina. Geathers says one thing he is looking for in a school is ?how many linemen go to the (NFL), their reputation for linemen.?

The offensive line at Chester High will feature two of the state?s biggest prospects in Corey Land (6-5, 330) and Maurice Tolliver (6-7, 350). Neither has been offered but their coach, Victor Floyd, believes schools will offer during the season.

Land has been hearing from USC, North Carolina, Virginia Tech and East Carolina, and East Carolina and Ohio have expressed some interest in Tolliver.

Byrnes wide receiver Matt Quinn (6-5, 200) has offers from Wofford, Newberry, Tusculum and Delaware. He also is getting interest from Vanderbilt, Georgia Southern and Furman.

Heathwood Hall quarterback Brandon Gantt (6-1, 183) says schools want to watch him this season before deciding on an offer.

?Clemson has been showing the strongest interest,? he said. He also is hearing from USC, Kentucky, Illinois, Auburn, East Carolina, Wake Forest and Furman.

Allendale-Fairfax will be led this season by athlete Devon Smith (6-4, 220), linebacker Kelvin Priester (6-1, 215) and wide receiver Leon Peacock (6-5, 210), and coach Wayne Farmer hopes a strong season will lead to offers.

Smith has drawn interest from Furman, Newberry, S.C. State, Navy, Georgia Southern, Appalachian State and Elon. Priester, the brother of former Clemson star Raymond Priester, has drawn interest from Furman and Newberry. And Peacock has drawn contact from USC, Clemson, Georgia, Furman, Georgia Southern, Wofford and Newberry. His brother is Clemson linebacker Courtney Vincent.

Broome defensive back D.J. Moore (5-10, 185) is also a basketball prospect and has spent much of his summer traveling with an AAU team. He also attended football camps at USC and Clemson. He has received interest from Maryland, Virginia Tech, Kentucky, Virginia, Duke, Louisville, North Carolina, N.C. State and Georgia Tech.

South Florence linebacker Adam Way (5-10, 200) had 131 tackles and two sacks last season. He has an offer from S.C. State, and USC is showing interest in him as a deep snapper, according to his coach Ken Cribb. He also is getting interest from Coastal Carolina, Newberry, Wofford and The Citadel.

South Florence quarterback Carver Wright (6-2, 200) recently committed to The Citadel where he likely will play receiver.

Baseball. Clemson picked up a commitment from right-handed pitcher Alex Cobb of Vero Beach, Fla. Last season Cobb was 8-2 with a 0.62 ERA. He had a school-record 139 strikeouts in 90 innings.

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/sports/colleges/12215055.htm

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

we have as much chance on him as an icicle in Key West!

Guest Vanilla Rice

If Brent Schaeffer comes to USF....bar none.  That kid will start the year after he sits out.  He is that good!  Put it this way, if you're good enough to start as a true freshman at Tennessee, you're probably good enough to start at most schools.  Schaeffer would start over Hill, Grothe, Julmiste, Denson and everyone.  Did you all see how sic the kid was at Tennessee?  Unfortunately, my gut feeling says he won't come to USF.  It's obvious being close to home doesn't really matter to him as he went to Tennessee.  Also since he went to Tennessee, he may be looking into going to a big program.  Clemson will have a starting QB spot open after this year and after he sits out.  So will Texas A&M as they also have a senior starting QB.  He definately fits into the Texas A&M, Clemson, USF and North Carolina offenses.  He can't go wrong with either one of those schools but i hope it's USF where he decides to go.  He probably wants to go to a place where obviously he has the best chance to start.  That to me sounds more like A&M and Clemson as they have senior QB's this year.  

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527

Without any disrespect intended towards posters of this and the thousand other Brent threads, I for one am getting sick of hearing about where he might go?  I would like him to come here (obviously) but, with the addition of Denson, Hill & Grothe, I don't see the guy being that important to us any more.

Lets move on.

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

WWW, I only brought the subject up because he is supposed to make his decision this week, so I thought it was relevant.  After he makes he decision THEN we will move on.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,482
  • Days Won:  13

If Brent Schaeffer comes to USF....bar none.  That kid will start the year after he sits out.  He is that good!  Put it this way, if you're good enough to start as a true freshman at Tennessee, you're probably good enough to start at most schools.  Schaeffer would start over Hill, Grothe, Julmiste, Denson and everyone.  Did you all see how sic the kid was at Tennessee?  Unfortunately, my gut feeling says he won't come to USF.  It's obvious being close to home doesn't really matter to him as he went to Tennessee.  Also since he went to Tennessee, he may be looking into going to a big program.  Clemson will have a starting QB spot open after this year and after he sits out.  So will Texas A&M as they also have a senior starting QB.  He definately fits into the Texas A&M, Clemson, USF and North Carolina offenses.  He can't go wrong with either one of those schools but i hope it's USF where he decides to go.  He probably wants to go to a place where obviously he has the best chance to start.  That to me sounds more like A&M and Clemson as they have senior QB's this year.  

VR -- You may be right... and the fact that we are stacked at QB could also weigh on his decision... but let me tell you... would you want to play in the same conference as FSU and Miami -- both of whom tend to draw the best QB talent in the nation... if a player of Schaeffer's caliber came to USF and the Big East, he would get a greater share of the spotlight... plus he could have a bigger impact on getting to the BCS at USF than at Clemson or UNC...

Palko and Brohm could probably start at Clemson and UNC... but they would have been overshadowed by Wright and Weatherford... however, in the Big East, they will garner greater attention.

Not that this post will be the factor for Schaeffer... but realize that there could be other factors for potential recruits to come to USF now that we are in the Big East than our stature vis-a-vis the Clemsons or North Carolinas of the college football world.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  677

acording to the article he is choosing between NC and clemson...doesnst sound like u are even on his list anymore.

Guest Vanilla Rice

To comment on if Schaeffer were to come to a Big East school like USF he would get a greater share of the spotlight, I hate to say this, but he will get a good share of spotlight no matter where he goes (and obviously becomes the starter).  The kid started at QB as a true freshman at the Univ. of Tennessee.  The spotlight doesn't get any bigger than that.  I'm playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't you agree that if you are the starting QB at an ACC school like Clemson or UNC, you are in a decent sized spotlight?  Again, you're playing against FSU and Miami and Va. Tech every year and those games are national telecasts.  I don't think the spotlight gets any greater than that.  If he was good enough to start at Tennessee as a true frosh, he probably is good enough to start at 80% of the schools out there.

Guest Vanilla Rice

And to comment on the Brohem kid.  He was the number one rated QB in the land coming out of high school.  he could have gone anywhere he wanted.  And no, I don't think he would have been overshaddowed by Wright or Weatherford in the ACC.  I think it would have been the other way around.  The kid was a Parade All American and the number one QB prospect in the land.  Wright was a Parader but Weatherford was not (Lee was).  Lee was rated the number one QB in the land coming out of high school, but Lee also isn't as polished as Broehm.  His brother was a former All American and NFL QB who is the QB coach there and I think his dad played QB at L'ville there too.  If it wasn't for the bloodlines, I don't think the Brohem kid goes to Louisville.  

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

three things....

1.  The decision may not be this week.

2.  USF is still in consideration.

3.  Clemson, UNC, and TAMU all have just as deep QB positions with very talented recruits coming in.  Hell UNC has Joe Dailey, a transfer QB from Nebraska that started last year.