• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Brent Schaeffer's decision this week?

Guest Vanilla Rice

I don't know about the rest of you y'all.  But I am anxious to see if Schaeffer comes to USF.  I really do think that if he comes to USF, you will see the second coming of Marquel Blackwell and the QB situation will be solidified.  

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Vanilla Rice

I wish the Fayson kid out of Hillsborough stayed committed to USF.  That's another great athlete at QB.  Hopefully he will change his mind and re-consider USF but it may be doubtful if Schaeffer decideds to come to USF and in addition to the new freshman QB's (Hill and Grothe).  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I wish the Fayson kid out of Hillsborough stayed committed to USF.  That's another great athlete at QB.  Hopefully he will change his mind and re-consider USF but it may be doubtful if Schaeffer decideds to come to USF and in addition to the new freshman QB's (Hill and Grothe).  

Fayson < Schaeffer.  Not even by a long shot.  Fayson plays in a veer offense in HS, and is lucky if he threw it 8-9 times a game.  I don't care what these camp-a-holics say about Fayson he's not a college QB.  Although, Fayson's a better runner than Brent.

Fayson = Hill.  Two amazing athletes that any team would be better to have, but probably neither will ever play QB.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  2,527
  • Days Won:  0

WWW, I only brought the subject up because he is supposed to make his decision this week, so I thought it was relevant.  After he makes he decision THEN we will move on.

Spense,

I know, I wasn't trying to give you specifically (or anyone else) a hard time about it.  It's just this has been like the 45th thread in as many days about this guy and (obviously it's just me) but, I just really don't think our success depends on this guy so who cares?  By the time he sits out a year, Denson will be a junior, Hill & Grothe will have a year of learning our system and they will all be better positioned to lead us anyway.

Guest Vanilla Rice

Trust me on this one.  IF Schaeffer came to USF, he would be starting next year hands down.  You are literally looking at the second coming of Marquel Blackwell.  He probably is better than Denson (Denson was moved to DB at Auburn while Schaeffer started as a freshman).  And Grothe and Hill are freshman and at least Schaeffer has real game experience.  Starting experience in the SEC too!  I know a lot of you think that may be overrated but whenever you play in the SEC you are playing in 80,000 plus crowds.  That's a lot for a high school freshman to handle.  If you ever noticed, former Miami QB Ken Dorsey would ALWAYS get rattled in the big away games where there was a crowd going against him.  Schaeffer is probably better than Denson, Pat, Grothe and Hill.  Most definately he would be the starter in a year.  I know I may be beating a dead horse because chances are, he might not come.  I just wanted to make it a point that I hope he does because I really do think you will see the offense turn around with him at the helm.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,482
  • Days Won:  13

To comment on if Schaeffer were to come to a Big East school like USF he would get a greater share of the spotlight, I hate to say this, but he will get a good share of spotlight no matter where he goes (and obviously becomes the starter).  The kid started at QB as a true freshman at the Univ. of Tennessee.  The spotlight doesn't get any bigger than that.  I'm playing devil's advocate here, but wouldn't you agree that if you are the starting QB at an ACC school like Clemson or UNC, you are in a decent sized spotlight?  Again, you're playing against FSU and Miami and Va. Tech every year and those games are national telecasts.  I don't think the spotlight gets any greater than that.  If he was good enough to start at Tennessee as a true frosh, he probably is good enough to start at 80% of the schools out there.

So you're saying that it's better to be the #3 QB in the ACC than #1 in the Big East ??  I'm not sure I buy that logic... not to mention that - traditionally - FSU and Miami have solid defenses... the new Big East doesn't have any teams that are really known for their defenses...

Not only can a top-level talent get more exposure by dominating a conference (see Smith, Alex), he can put up some really big numbers (see Smith, Alex)...

Guest Vanilla Rice

YES, I'm saying it's better to be the number three QB in the ACC.  Also, who says he is going to be number three?  I think you're looking at a potential all-ACC QB if he does go there.  But we're not talking about the kid going to Wake Forest or some weak ACC school.  Clemson and UNC are name brand schools.  They have a bigger national name then USF does.  They get more exposure and they play tougher games.  NFL scouts take that all into account.  Also, UNC and Clemson play Va. TEch, UM, FSU every year.  That puts you in the national spotlight.  I'm not trying to lobby for him to go to the ACC, but just trying to be devil's advocate and explain why I could see him wanting to go there.  You figure he went to Tennessee for a reason.  It's a big school that plays big games where you are in the national spotlight.  Most kids want to go to the NFL when they go to college and play football.  They want to go to the school that will get them there.  But some kids have turned down Florida and FSU to go to USF.  But some of those kids will do it for various reasons.  Some it's a playing factor and chance to play or close to home or whatever.  Obviously the kid doesn't care to stay close to home (he went to Tennessee).  Also, since he went to Tennessee, that tells me that he is probably interested in a big name program where he can showcase his skills on national TV all the time and play the big time opponents, etc.  Hey, I don't know all the answers, or what is going through the kid's head, I'm just trying to throw my two cents out there for what it's worth.  Here's the thing, Schaeffer is most likely going to be looked at as a future starter.  The starting QB at UNC and Clemson is probably going to get more recognition on a national scale then a QB would at USF.  That may change with the Big East, but let's face it, the Big East isn't as good as the ACC.  With Miami and Va. Tech joining that conference, it puts them on par with the SEC.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,482
  • Days Won:  13

Spense,

I know, I wasn't trying to give you specifically (or anyone else) a hard time about it.  It's just this has been like the 45th thread in as many days about this guy and (obviously it's just me) but, I just really don't think our success depends on this guy so who cares?  By the time he sits out a year, Denson will be a junior, Hill & Grothe will have a year of learning our system and they will all be better positioned to lead us anyway.

WWW -- you're right that our success does not depend on any one player coming or not coming to USF... but given our problems at QB in the past couple of years, I think a lot of people want to see a stockpile of good-to-great QBs on our roster... if Denson doesn't work, let Hill, if he doesn't work, let Grothe... etc.

Not to mention that there is something to the fact that the more top-level players we bring in, they will push each other to be better... (competition makes them better)...

Still, I agree that it will be nice to have this saga over... just as it is now that Brumbaugh has decided to become a Cowboy...

Guest Vanilla Rice

Yeah, but it is fun to think that a player of Schaeffer's calibur is considering USF and might come here.  I'm with you, I want to hear where he finally ends up going and I just hope it is right here.  I truely believe that if he comes here, he will be the biggest recruit this year.  Was really happy when we got Carlton Hill though.  Every year, it was always a near miss on landing a big time QB.  Hill has a lot of work to do though (he played at a class A school).  But it will be fun to see him play QB.  Denson will probably be the fastest QB ever to play at USF so far, but Hill is the total package (speed, size, arm, etc.).  Let's just hope he can pick up the offense pretty quick.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Schaeffer makes ALL the QB's we have look like Ronnie Banks.  He won't be the #3 QB in the ACC. He'll be #1 and he IS going to Clemson.  Pencil it in.