• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

First 4 Games' Report Card

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Saw that on closed circuit at the Sunrise Musical theater. Was thinking first round knockout also once I saw them in the ring. He was an awesome Light-Heavyweight though, and the first one from that division to win a Heavyweight title. Tyson was a bad match-up for him obviously.

Don't know how old you are but I watched his brother Leon beat Ali in the late 1970s. Pretty impressive boxing family back in the day. 

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Don't know how old you are but I watched his brother Leon beat Ali in the late 1970s. Pretty impressive boxing family back in the day. 

I saw that and the rematch both on YouTube. Look up Julian Jackson for an impressive highlight reel of knockouts

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

51 minutes ago, hookyhornstein said:

Disclaimer - I'm a Texas fan, so feel free to take my comments with a grain of salt.

As an objective outsider, your USF Bulls are interesting to watch.  As a fan of a team formerly coached by your coach, I can understand your mix of emotions.  Your defense is thriving, your special teams are discouraging and your offense is confusing.

Maybe I can offer a bit of encouragement on that last one.

When Sterlin came to Texas, the Horns were off to the races.  Charlie gave him free rein and the Horns scored like crazy in the first five games.  The problem was the defense couldn't keep up.  We were (I imagine) like you last year with Willie Taggert.

So... for the last seven games, Charlie tightened Sterlin's leash.  Texas became more of a ball control possession team and the defense made great strides.

As you know, things didn't quite work out for Charlie Strong for a myriad of reasons but I honestly don't believe that his tamping down the offense to help the defense was a problem.  In fact, it seemed like a pretty smart thing to do.

So... it looks to me like that's what he's doing there too.  He's making Sterlin tap the brakes to build your defense.  And it looks like it's working beautifully.

Once your defense has a swagger, he's liable to open up your offense.  It may not be as exciting as it was for you last year, but it should have enough firepower to score quickly when a game is on the line.

Good luck.  I hope it all works out for you.  I especially hope the special teams get straightened out.  

Thanks.

Last year against Temple they had 40 min TOP to our 20 min, and our D, understandably, wore down.

CCS, evidently, puts much more emphasis on TOP in order to keep our D fresh.

So far, he has done a good job doing that at USF and it shows in the results.

When we played Ill he opened up the offense more. He seemed to dial it back against temple.

I appreciate your thought provoking comments.

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

8 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

First 4 games last year - Total TDs:  24; Rushing:  167 carries, 1,031 yards, 6.2 yards/carry; Passing: 57 - 107 - 3, 53.2%, 975 yards, 17.1 yards/completion

First 4 games this year - Total TDs:  20; Rushing:  252 carries, 1,156 yards, 4.6 yards/carry; Passing: 57 - 110 - 2, 51.8%, 819 yards, 14.4 yards/completion

After reading this.... I feel a lot better about the season now.

I think we're over-worried at fans. 

Overall, I'll accept the small regression on offense with the significant improvement in defense.

I'm still very pleased with the Bulls, CCS and staff. 

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

18 minutes ago, NessUSF said:

After reading this.... I feel a lot better about the season now.

I think we're over-worried at fans. 

Overall, I'll accept the small regression on offense with the significant improvement in defense.

I'm still very pleased with the Bulls, CCS and staff. 

Biggest concern is that FSU really skewed those numbers down.

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  624

While I hate the dive, dive, pass, punt offense I am suspecting this is per some plan. I also hate female dog -ing (not censored)  about the offense then looking up and seeing 40 points on the scoreboard. I am very confused. 

Edited by SpikeBull
Sp