• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Good, Bad, and Ugly

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

GOOD

* Playbook opened up -- Yeah, still a lot of running, but when the defense is giving you 6 yards per carry, that's what you get.  Gilbert mixed in some other plays to keep the running game open.  This wasn't as much GCO as some people are saying... but there were a lot more read-option plays, some misdirection plays, and jet sweeps.

* DEEE-FEEENSE -- Giving up only 67 rushing yards this week, fewest all season.  The defense was flying to the ball. Tackling really well. Three interceptions. 

BAD

* Senat Targeting -- Although I was at the game and there was no replay, I gather this was a bit off.  Tom Fornelli (CBS Sports) tweeted: " I think that by the letter of the law, it’s targeting. I don’t think it’s TARGETING tho. Does that make sense? "  I have to think Deadrin will be getting some extra focus this week.

* Drops & Missed Throws -- MVS dropped one and had another sail over his head (and was nearly picked off).  Flowers, as well as he played at keypoints, was 15 of 27 (55.6%) with an INT that should not have been thrown (McCants was never open on that throw).

UGLY

* PAT/FG -- Getting the first FG blocked is one thing.  Illinois saw something on tape and exploited it.  Getting another kick blocked means the special teams coach did not do anything different.  I would think the team will be working on kick protection and getting the kicks faster this week.

* Penalties -- Yeah, the officials were calling a lot of "ticky-tack" fouls.  However, both teams were just downright sloppy.  I'm willing to pin this one on only having three practices... Still, I think USF really needs to work on some of it's plays.  Especially the false starts and illegal shifts (get set before the snap, guys!).

(Imagine what the game would have been like without the blocked kicks and all of those early penalties... when the penalties stopped, USF dominated)

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  863
  • Days Won:  1

And a lot of those rushing yards were on the 45 yard busted play. Epstein had 8 carries for 56 yards, 45 on that play. You wrap him up and the rushing total stays in the 30's perhaps. As a whole the team maybe averaged 2ypc with that outlier.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

31 minutes ago, Breedwell said:

And a lot of those rushing yards were on the 45 yard busted play. Epstein had 8 carries for 56 yards, 45 on that play. You wrap him up and the rushing total stays in the 30's perhaps. As a whole the team maybe averaged 2ypc with that outlier.

If you look at the replay, the LB on that side, I think it was Danny Thomas, over-pursued and got caught out of position.  If he contained the back side like he should have, that TD doesn't happen.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Good  1. The offense opened it up and showed they can still play like the last years gulf coast offense.

2. Tacking is so much better this year even my friend that doesn't know a ton about FB commented on it.

Bad    1.  Dropped passes..need to still clean this up..was a tad better today it seemed.

Ugly     1.  Special Teams blocking this is a disaster and needs to be fixed pronto.  No blocked punts so thats a positive.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011

As others have said

Good - The offense opening it up. Defense looked great throughout most of the game.

Bad - The drops. MVS has serious shades of TO with all that talent and questionable hands. The less said about Barr the better.

Ugly - Special teams. That needs to be fixed asap. Penalties in the first half were awful.

Overall, I feel much more confident in the team than I did after the first two weeks. I don't know if we are good or if Illinois is that bad...but it's hard to imagine they are worse than San Jose State or Stony Brook. They did shut down a solid WKU the week before.

Temple will be another good test, hopefully we keep improving.

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180

Tough watching Barr struggle. Talent and the god-given ability is there... seems like it is all between the ears. With Antoines performance last night, he locked the slot spot down.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201

I would keep Barr off the field till maybe later in games if the game is locked up and try to get that guy going.  He just needs one catch and it might start to click for him. 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,353
  • Days Won:  5

7 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

I would keep Barr off the field till maybe later in games if the game is locked up and try to get that guy going.  He just needs one catch and it might start to click for him. 

What do you call  a receiver who can't catch?

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  2,358
  • Days Won:  8

Good - Open field tackling . . . The secondary did a great job wrapping up players

Better - Offensive line play . . . Whether it was play calling or something else, the line looked more cohesive and we were able to move the football as a result

Best - With the exception of penalties and blocked kicks, we looked the dominant team befitting our ranking

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  2,166

Good:

Defense is massively improved from last year.

Running game is back

Bad:

The student section after halftime 

Ugly:

Special teams

Drops

Penalties