• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

22 hours ago, JimUSFSig said:

USF fans going into complete meltdown mode in less than a quarter

Yeah, i sheepishly admit, i was there......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

13 hours ago, Calibull said:

And San Jose's stadium sucks.  That thing is a toilet.  Those bleachers killed my back.

true- worst college stadium i have been to

i forgot the rich tradition sjsu had

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  127
  • Days Won:  6

On 8/27/2017 at 10:05 AM, FatDaddyBull said:

Good:

Nate Ferguson deserves mention because that dude flashes and makes hits every time he's on the field.

Yes ... very proud of my son.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

18 hours ago, bullstampede9922 said:

Why fix what isn't broken.  I'm really surprised they didn't keep some plays from the gulf coast offense that seemed to work last season.  We lost Adams, but isn't MVS almost as fast?  Those jet sweeps and trips on the ends to spread out the defense really helped Flowers get some running lanes.  I'm hoping Gilbert was holding back the playbook because run, run pass isn't going to win the conference.

I think the new philosophy is to move away from those type of plays somewhat, but I have a feeling they will be incorporated more as the season progresses. It seemed to me we had a very conservative game plan and that they really didn't open up the playbook. I think we will see more variety from the offense as the season progresses. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,712
  • Days Won:  424

One of the Good ... for me anyway ... was Randy Cross several times reinforcing the QF to Freddie Solomon comparison. I'm still thinking that will be his avenue to the next level ..... NFL anyway.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

The good: 

The play of the corners. Mazzi and Hampton absolutely balled. This defense looked completely different at all 3 levels. 

We have some serious depth at WR. Didn't expect to see Alaka this early in the year but that was a welcome surprise. Hopefully Antoine can come back for Uconn. 

The bad 

Offensive playcalling/execution up front Before this season I went back and watched a lot of Texas offense from 2016. I'm not so sure we were as conservative as most want to believe. This is what Gilbert does. We have to be better up front to establish the "Rythm" you hear CCS talk about. I expected much more tempo. 

The ugly 

The non-PI call that first drive. Really the entire first quarter. 

The announcers.

Edited by IBulleve

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

On 8/27/2017 at 6:57 AM, JimUSFSig said:
  • 18 yard punt from Large Adult Punter, and a couple of low snaps from the new long snapper

It was hard to tell from the angle, but it seemed Hernandez' punt motion was slow....maybe it was because of bad snaps, but even before they got a hand on one, it just seemed to take forever to get his leg in motion.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,522
  • Days Won:  10

10 minutes ago, Brad said:

It was hard to tell from the angle, but it seemed Hernandez' punt motion was slow....maybe it was because of bad snaps, but even before they got a hand on one, it just seemed to take forever to get his leg in motion.

He did seem to have the ball in his hands waaaay too long, even when the snaps were good.  I'd imagine that the idea is to make sure the ball is away "X" seconds after the snap and I'm sure we were pushing or exceeding that target.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  5,431
  • Days Won:  16

On 8/27/2017 at 11:55 AM, Blackice12 said:

The Good

USF won the first game of the year on the road after an ugly offense 1st quarter.

A lot of players played. Unlike 10 years ago when USF had minimal depth there were a lot of players who played on defense and on offense.

Flowers passing techniques  improved.

Defense is aggressive considering Senate did not play most of the game.

The Bad

Running game in general. Offensive line not making holes for the run game. Most of the best runs were outside of the tackle. The LBs were tackling the RB on the back side. Struggled punching it in on short distances.

2 kickoffs out of bounds

The Ugly

Spotting San Jose 16 points. Yet the team never panicked. 

Lots to team from the is game

The running game wasn't great, but I can't but 315 rushing yards (which includes sack yards) is BAD category, ever.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

On 8/27/2017 at 4:34 PM, Calibull said:

but we still amassed over 500 yards of offense 

Total offense: 548 yds

1st quarter total yards by my math: 18 yards