• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

14 minutes ago, usfbullrider said:

38 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

Was McCants. 

Juwuan Brown with the crush iirc.

Right, McCants made a spine-cracking block, but he's O.

Senat belongs in the ugly category, while the D's response after he was out belongs in the "great" category. He needs to apologize to the team and put his head back on straight--he's better than that.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  13
  • Days Won:  0

Yesterday it really showed that the depth chart does not mean anything. Our first string receivers did not show anything. MVS had a couple of catches but other then that I don't know that any other starting WRs had any catches. I agree with FatDaddyBull that Barr should be used for jet sweeps and not MVS but that guy is not a reliable pass catcher. 

I remember the first game last year and it was not pretty and the competition was even worse so we will just take this W and hopefully learn from it before we get to UConn. 

GO BULLS !!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  215
  • Content Count:  1,777

The Good

USF won the first game of the year on the road after an ugly offense 1st quarter.

A lot of players played. Unlike 10 years ago when USF had minimal depth there were a lot of players who played on defense and on offense.

Flowers passing techniques  improved.

Defense is aggressive considering Senate did not play most of the game.

The Bad

Running game in general. Offensive line not making holes for the run game. Most of the best runs were outside of the tackle. The LBs were tackling the RB on the back side. Struggled punching it in on short distances.

2 kickoffs out of bounds

The Ugly

Spotting San Jose 16 points. Yet the team never panicked. 

Lots to team from the is game

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,714
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, raptorcj said:

Senat belongs in the ugly category, while the D's response after he was out belongs in the "great" category. He needs to apologize to the team and put his head back on straight--he's better than that

Senat needs to take a page from our newest scholarship player and when you're unabated to the qb like that, at least get your arms up ....

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Sandro said:

Yesterday it really showed that the depth chart does not mean anything. Our first string receivers did not show anything. MVS had a couple of catches but other then that I don't know that any other starting WRs had any catches. I agree with FatDaddyBull that Barr should be used for jet sweeps and not MVS but that guy is not a reliable pass catcher. 

I remember the first game last year and it was not pretty and the competition was even worse so we will just take this W and hopefully learn from it before we get to UConn. 

GO BULLS !!!

It sucks we have to figure this out year after year (and we're not the only ones), there are guys that can step up in camp, and there are guys that step up in games. When you find those guys, you leave them there.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  276

Good 

The adjustments after an awful 1st qtr

Running game

Turnovers

A win in CA, probably the first time most of these have been to CA

Bad

Conservative play calls

Targeting call

Too many drops

Ugly

Special teams, punts, kicks out of bounds and poor field position 

USF fans during the 1st qtr

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,806

5 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Agree with the good. I will put the production of Tice and DJ in that category also. 99 and 94 yards ain't shabby. 

In the bad category I will put the handling of the offense in the 4th quarter. Once Kean was in I didn't like that they went into slow it down and hand off mode. Run the offense. Let Kean get more throws. 

Take away first quarter rust/jitters, whatever it was, once we got over it we dominated. 

It was Brown

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,498

Why fix what isn't broken.  I'm really surprised they didn't keep some plays from the gulf coast offense that seemed to work last season.  We lost Adams, but isn't MVS almost as fast?  Those jet sweeps and trips on the ends to spread out the defense really helped Flowers get some running lanes.  I'm hoping Gilbert was holding back the playbook because run, run pass isn't going to win the conference.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I may be in the minority but I think this was one of the better fist games we've had in years, 1st quarter excluded.  This is the real first sign of defense we've had since 2009.  We didn't commit any offensive turnovers, we started slow but once the thing got rolling you can see what they can do, we have multiple playmakers on offense... we're not just a three pony show anymore.  Flowers arm has improved and so has his accuracy... if the don't drop so many passes is stat line is golden.  This reminds me a little of the 2007 opening game when we played Elon... I just think this offense is better.  They showed they can grind down the clock as well as go fast.  The Oline has room for improvement but considering this was their first game in the system, I'd say they are poised for a breakout game.  I don't think Elon will be much of a test but I think it will be important for our continuity.  When Bronson is ready and Senat gets back, the Dline will be outrageous.   The DBs... I kept saying Mazzi was our best cover corner.  He was just so skinny in the past they didn't play him.  I think his spot action last year was vital to who he's playing.  Mazzi is a shutdown corner.  

I think the play calling was vanilla but I didn't expect Gilbert to show everything.  I also think he needed to see how the guys played in the game to get a feel for what he can do with them.  Practice is great... but things change under the lights.  Was good to see they didn't panic when they got down, they just methodically grinded back into the game and we saw 42 unanswered points... something we've not seen in a long time.   Even in the Cincy blowout we didn't run off 42 without them scoring.  I think this team is as advertised... once this thing gets rolling, it's going to be hard to beat them.  Kids don't care about adversity... they keep playing.  

The WRs... between MVS, Salomon, and Alaka... there is a ton of big play ability there.  I think McCants will start at slot next game.  We didn't play great... but we still amassed over 500 yards of offense and held a team to 2.7 or 2.9 yards a rush... The passing numbers looked better for them than I'd hoped, but the got a big chunk of them at the end with that one kid who came in for their late TD.  USF is good... really good.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

And San Jose's stadium sucks.  That thing is a toilet.  Those bleachers killed my back.