• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF one of the 20 most dangerous teams

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Not to bust everyone's bubble, but there were other 11am games on ESPN and ESPN2 last year, Boise State played an 11am game, Rutgers vs. UConn was an 11am game, the D1AA playoffs started at 11am, and I could go on forever, even those Tuesday night games against unknown teams had better ratings.  Nice try to use the 11am excuse.  

As that list states, it is based on future potential, and I do believe that you bulls have a lot of potential in being in the Bull Crap System, but you need to stop believing that you are the Lord's gift to this state.  Look forward to once again coming to Tampa, let's just hope you guys leave the white sheets and hoods at home.  :-/

It is clear you are not a FAMU Fan, only trouble disguised as such.  I have read two of your posts and both inject unneccesary racial commentary designed to enflame people.  Secondly, it is clear your contempt for Tampa and USF goes beyond the scope of a normal visiting fan.  There's more to it and I think others see that.  Your posts will be removed.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

Win and the fan support issue disappears

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Wooley I agree with you on most of your points. Yes, people need to come that are former USF students. But, the marketing dept. needs to draw out those who are skepticle. Where are the continuous ads in the paper about USF? What paper in this market SOLELY supports USF> and not the other "Big Three?" This area craves for something to go to and support. Winning does cure this. But what has been done to try to lure the 85,000 plus people "waiting" to get a Buc ticket? Why hasn't that been addressed? It is marketing that goes to the people. We have NOT been pro-active in this. We have a D2 mentality in this area. "If you build it, they will come, and if we don't have to pay out the bucareenos!" It's time to start being like the big boys. Get the marketing going. There is a lot more that needs to be done in this area. But I do agree that it's not the only thing!     Reaper

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

I don't think we can blame Tom Veit if the marketing budget he is given is as meager as it is.  Ads in the paper and on billboards are expensive, so any campaign needs to be focused around a specific event in order to get the best bang for the buck.  I would expect to see something coming up when the new season ticket  push begins.

Once the BCS money comes in or until someone donates some cash, billboard space devoted to marketing USF athletics or take money away from some other budget item, we have to do the best with what we have.

The best sort of advertising is word of mouth, so make sure you do what you can that way:

1) Wear the gear

2) Buy the license plates ($25 is tax deductable)

3) Invite friends and neighbors to games, tailgates, etc.

4) Be proud to be a Bull!

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

Unfortunately, we can't look at the newspaper and demand more print or radio ads because that costs money.

If anyone wants to criticize marketing it could be for not coming up with more imaginative, free gorilla marketing advertising- fliers, cross promos, interactive team BBQ's, et al.  I don't see a big problem, but that's the only area, in terms of the traditional marketing our guys are doing all they can with the resources at their disposal.  

Sorry, but to get over that 30k fan average it's going to take winning and bowl games.  If this team goes 8-3, with 2-3 big signature wins, and a prominent bowl like Gator, Champ, or Continental Tire then you're going to see some big changes, and heavy fan support.  If we go 5-6, barily beat the teams we should and continue to get credited with the "Sleeper" tag then no one will or come out because most will just wait until we win before they come out to see a game or buy season tixs.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

1) Ads in the newspaper are both expensive AND ineffective.

2) Tampa Bay is a large urban market -- no newspaper in such a market covers one team exclusively... only small markets like Gainesville and Tallahassee have newspapers devoted to their teams.

3) There are about 90,000 alumni living in the seven-county bay area... most of then never had the chance to attend USF football games as a student.  Many don't event like football.  Some of those that are football fans grew up rooting for other teams (as Wooly said)... Oh, and that's 90,000 out of 2.3 million... or about 4% of the population.

4) Of the 85,000 Bucs fans on the waiting list -- how many are USF alumni (chances are somewhere around 4% -- or about 3,400) How many of them are USF season ticket holders??

You have to realize that it doesn't matter what the university does... the bulk of the people go to football games for ENTERTAINMENT.

Losing football is not good ENTERTAINMENT.

Winning football is good ENTERTAINMENT.

We are a few winning seasons away from selling out RayJay... and a few losing seasons to looking like the Devil Rays.

Oh, and before you talk about how local alumni aren't supporting athletics... realize that there are more USF season ticket holders than there are memebrs of the USF alumni association.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Continue to get beat by 30+ points on ESPN and attendance will continue to be abysmal.  Pull those wins out in exciting games and attendance doubles.  

I'm as big a supporter of USF as anybody, but even I turned off the Louisville game midway thru the 3rd quarter.  I went to the Memphis game and lost interest midway thru the 3rd quarter when it became clear we could not hang.  If avid supporters are being turned off by the product on the field it is unrealistic to think that the casual fan is going to come out.  Getting bludgeoned on natl TV + a horrible offense = horrible attendance.

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  687

I don't think we can blame Tom Veit if the marketing budget he is given is as meager as it is.  Ads in the paper and on billboards are expensive, so any campaign needs to be focused around a specific event in order to get the best bang for the buck.  I would expect to see something coming up when the new season ticket  push begins.

Once the BCS money comes in or until someone donates some cash, billboard space devoted to marketing USF athletics or take money away from some other budget item, we have to do the best with what we have.

The best sort of advertising is word of mouth, so make sure you do what you can that way:

1) Wear the gear

2) Buy the license plates ($25 is tax deductable)

3) Invite friends and neighbors to games, tailgates, etc.

4) Be proud to be a Bull!

You hit the nail on the head with the word of mouth.  Most of the people that I have brought out to the games have had a blast, even when we have lost.  Why?  because it was an event instead of a game.  THe tailgate party was fun and then the party coninued on inside the game.  

Wearing the gear or having a license plate is even better.  In the last couple of years I have seen a large increase in the amount of hats ,shirts worn by people.  THe other day when I returned to my hometown of Brooksville I saw 3 or 4 cars on my way in with Bulls plates on. That was actually more than any other team in the state.  Remember, Bville is a small place and is heavily UF + FSU fan populated.  

Unfortunately most people are followers.  As more people see people in  USF gear more people will wear  it.    It really is that simple.  

I got my parents and one of my brothers to buy season tickets with me next year.  The Bull Nation will grow, but just give it time.  The UFs and FSUs of the world didn't fill 80k+ stadiums overnight.  They've been at it a long time and do it in towns that offer no sports entertainment competition.    

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334

Whatever, they ranked us and outside ECU with major rebuilding to do most of these schools look like decent picks to put where they are.  We do have a somewhat small fanbase, but it is growing and our coaching staff has proven itself in the past (other than rod smith).  Now we just have to hope they can turn around last season and show everyone why USF is so dangerous.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  387

Like I posted before, it's tough to draw in a big city. Particularly if you compete with the NFL. Few big cities have well attended college football programs.

I believe there is a strong fan base. Unfortunately not enough show up on Saturdays.

It took UM many years of winning before they started to get good attendance. They still only sell out a few games a year.

Jim is on the right track. We will be one of the 20 most dangerous teams sooner than later.

Win at the top level and they will come!

We'll win at least six games next season, probably seven or more.

Good start in the BCS race.