• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What hiring Charlie Strong Means for USF

What a Charlie Strong hire means for USF?  

160 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

The meaning of "next level" is subjective. I think a good way to interpret that would be winning the AAC, as winning a conference would obviously be huge and new territory for us.  In that respect, I do think it's very likely that Strong will take us there.  Beyond that, a lot of it is really out of his hands.  As long as he's winning, he's done his part to get us into a P5, the rest it outside of his control.  If he isn't winning, then he can't be considered a success anyway.  Given the right opportunities, I do think it's possible for him to take us to the promised land, but saying it's "very likely" would be a stretch.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

17 hours ago, macphisto said:

I think there were many mitigating factors at Texas.  Expectations were high.  The Boosters were not all on board and I think the faculty weren't always onboard.  The cupboard was also bare after Mack Brown.  That program was in bad shape and it was not easy to find direction, especially with the expectations.

We're in a maintenance situation right now.  If Strong can keep the offense together and add to it while making the defense even average, the chances of us going undefeated on next year's schedule are good.  He didn't seem to have the playcalling issues at Louisville, but I think he had a lot less pressure on him too.

Time will tell, but he can add the recruits, lock down the Bay Area, and then hopefully learn from mistakes.

texas was  a mess

he needed onemore year

strong will like tampa better and do better

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Texas was a mess...he has a much more stable program with no toxic players.

Much more welcomed here than Texas.

8 hours ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Its very dependent on our OOC schedule. For example if we would have started this year ranked, winning against FSU and Temple might have been enough. But that's running the table which is hard no matter which conference you are in.

Assuming we win our bowl game, we will start off next year rank but our SOS is not so hot...so long shot again. 

It's possible all the stars will align one of these years, but for now we need win and show up.

i have been saying for decades our ooc is terrible

why we play 1aaaaa teams is beyond me

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 hours ago, E.T. said:

Curious as why Strong signed on to coach a "lower level" school. Maybe he does want to stay long term? Maybe just wanted a quick successful team?

Next Level will only happen when we move to a Power 5 or they have a P6 conference, with the playoff extending to 8 teams.

Very happy with the hire. Average fans will know of him.

Go BULLS !!!

strong is well known in the state

best hire by usf athletics ever

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  6,744
  • Days Won:  17

CCS will be the next CSH, losing while competing in the high humidity.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,137
  • Days Won:  39

6 minutes ago, lotsofbull99 said:

CCS will be the next CSH, losing while competing in the high humidity.

But how many timeouts will be in the bank? You get to take them with you when you go to football heaven.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 hours ago, smazza said:

texas was  a mess

he needed onemore year

strong will like tampa better and do better

where does this Texas was a mess myth come from?

They had just gone 7-2 in their conference the year before.

He inherited 5 guys on his defense that were drafted into the NFL. He had the doak walker award winning RB on his roster

and he couldn't win more than 6 games........

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Bull94 said:

where does this Texas was a mess myth come from?

They had just gone 7-2 in their conference the year before.

He inherited 5 guys on his defense that were drafted into the NFL. He had the doak walker award winning RB on his roster

and he couldn't win more than 6 games........

It comes from him trying to clean up the program and change the culture. ( http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/what-went-wrong-with-charlie-strong-and-the-texas-longhorns/2305957 )

Different circumstances as to why the slate was cleared but it does remind me of about where CWT was in year3, I bet year 4 at Texas would have been great, but we will never know.

The key at USF is we have a great culture of hardworking hungry FL players, Strong won't have to rebuild just tweak (well maybe rebuild the defense). Hard to predict exactly how long the process will be, depends entirely on how the rest of the staff fills out and who is retained. 

I think CS will do just fine, but next year has a very high bar with the talent we have and the strength of schedule we face.

• Downvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

On 12/12/2016 at 0:19 PM, SpeedyBull said:

It comes from him trying to clean up the program and change the culture. ( http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/what-went-wrong-with-charlie-strong-and-the-texas-longhorns/2305957 )

Different circumstances as to why the slate was cleared but it does remind me of about where CWT was in year3, I bet year 4 at Texas would have been great, but we will never know.

The key at USF is we have a great culture of hardworking hungry FL players, Strong won't have to rebuild just tweak (well maybe rebuild the defense). Hard to predict exactly how long the process will be, depends entirely on how the rest of the staff fills out and who is retained. 

I think CS will do just fine, but next year has a very high bar with the talent we have and the strength of schedule we face.

The frustrating thing for Strong has to be the thought of watching Herman be successful with his players in a year he would've been effective with them. Heck that may be a reason to come back and coach for USF. Might as well take advantage of another coach's great players! And build on it on Texas' dime!

Edited by Ionbull