• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Our passing attack

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

So it seemed to me that we didn't throw the ball downfield much last game.  So for schitz and giggles, while rewatching the game I kept track of how far downfield QF threw the ball.  Don't know how to do a table on here so forgive the layout. Not sure if any of the behind the LOS were technically laterals.  

1st Half

Behind the LOS - 8 for 10, 1 to 5 yards - 2 for 3, 5 to 10 yards - 2 for 3, 10 to 20 yards - 0 for 2 and > 20 yds 0 for 4 with an INT

2nd Half

Behind the LOS - 7 for 7, 1 to 5 yards - 1 for 1, 5 to 10 yards - 1 for 1, 10 to 20 yards - 0 for 2 and > 20 yds - 3 for 5 with all 3 being TDs and 1 INT 

So it appears we did throw it downfield more than I thought but, the intermediate throws (10 - 20) are rare.  17 attempts were behind the LOS.  It just seems to me that we started doing that more in the Cinci game.  It has been part of our game plan all along but it feels like it is being used more often.  Maybe because teams are trying to make sure we don't beat them deep???? Anyway I just found it interesting.

Also, even though most of the behind the LOS passes were completed there were a couple that involved bad throws where the receiver had to go to his knees or turnaround.  On the other hand a couple of the deep throws probably should have been caught.  And the TD pass to Wilcox could have been an INT if not for a great play while the one INT could easily have been a TD.  So you win some and lose some.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I think the idea is to just get the ball in the hands of your playmakers in space, and let them do their thing.  

Where has Chris Barr been?  I've seen him pop up here and there, but he's been really quiet this season ... I was sort of hoping that he would start maybe taking a little more Adams-type plays, in order to fill the role next year, but McCants seems to be stepping up a little more - that's a good thing too.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Some of Flowers quick throws out to the flat end up low or high and the receiver has to adjust to get it and it throws the timing off.  Crisp and accurate throws on the short passes is essential as it allows the receiver to get it in stride and go.   These throws need to get better.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I think that shows the power of our offense.  Basically we are a run oriented team.  The bubble screens and throws behind the line are really nothing more than wide runs for our dynamic runners in open field.  They also force the defense to have to widen out which opens more running lanes for Mack and Flowers.

Even if the deep throws are incomplete, that is ok in this offense because it gets the defense to back off to protect the deep ball and gives all of our runners (Flowers, Adams, Mack, Johnson) a lot of field to play with. Of course hitting the deep ball is better, but we have a lot of playmakers so either the long pass or short pass are equally effective for us.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Not passing, but, I find it interesting that the jet sweep to Adams has basically disappeared in the last couple of games. I think we tried one with maybe McCants last week that I saw? Of course, I missed the first half because I have bad friends (wedding).

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

They could be taking the jet sweep off the tape the last 2 or 3 games so that we go back to that some down the stretch?

One area we need to exploit is the middle many times Wilcox was wide open and Flowers didn't see him.

I'd like to see Bronson contribute more to passing game.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867

Right now 90% of the passes are either screens or bombs down the field. It's a bit frustrating to watch, but it's working.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,807
  • Days Won:  0

I saw more Half back flat passes this game so that was a new wrinkle. People are keying on the Jet sweeps so it will come back when Defenses least expect it. We used it because it kep working but now you are seeing defenses adjust to it.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201

Still waiting for some trick plays like a flea flicker or even a playaction we don't really run.

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

There were 3 jet sweeps.  I rewatched the game.  One to Adams, one to McCants, and one to MVS.  I think Adams lost Wille's trust with the fumbles so the others got the carries.  Overall QF did fine.  Sure he needs to finetune some things.  There were a couple wide open receivers that he didn't see and chose to throw deep instead.  One was a blown coverage and McCants was the only guy in the middle of the field.  I'm surprised we didn't go back to that play at some point.