• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

This year may be much BIGGER than we realize

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  761
  • Days Won:  2

If we have a successful season 1,2 losses or none (crossing fingers) a lot of schools across the country are gonna come calling for Taggart.

And he will leave. No doubt about it. As you saw evidenced last year with the USC interview. If he leaves we stand at the whim once again of a coaching change and Lord knows that could go either way.

The ONLY way I see Tags staying for the long haul ( which IMO is best case scenario) is if we get into the B12. He would then know we can play for championships here (just like when he first arrived and it was the BigEast). Kids in the area would see we're not in a second tier conference anymore, are the new hot team, under a young hot coach. 

If we get into the B12, mark my words this program will BLOW up. With taggarts recruiting prowess we will be getting top25 classes year in and year out and really build a contender.

If we don't get in, the likelihood of tags leaving and the program having to take a few steps back is way more likely than not.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Don't think he will automatically leave.  He's from the area.  It's home.  He's not going to leave USF for the lower 50% of "power" programs.  Top programs, then yes, start worrying.  Also, USF could up his salary to 3M like Hermann at Houston, and maybe he stays, at least as long as there is hope of USF getting into Big 12. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Just now, BULLZ said:

If we have a successful season 1,2 losses or none (crossing fingers) a lot of schools across the country are gonna come calling for Taggart.

And he will leave. No doubt about it. As you saw evidenced last year with the USC interview. If he leaves we stand at the whim once again of a coaching change and Lord knows that could go either way.

The ONLY way I see Tags staying for the long haul ( which IMO is best case scenario) is if we get into the B12. He would then know we can play for championships here (just like when he first arrived and it was the BigEast). Kids in the area would see we're not in a second tier conference anymore, are the new hot team, under a young hot coach. 

If we get into the B12, mark my words this program will BLOW up. With taggarts recruiting prowess we will be getting top25 classes year in and year out and really build a contender.

If we don't get in, the likelihood of tags leaving and the program having to take a few steps back is way more likely than not.

The question would be where Taggart would be willing to go. Would you want to take over a bottom-feeder like Kentucky? What about a team like Kansas or Kansas State? Iowa State? Virginia? The point being, unless a truly marquee type job opens up, I'm not totally convinced that CWT will bolt. He was able to parlay the South Carolina interview into more money and they were able to say that they interviewed a minority coach for the position. That was a win-win for both sides, but he was never being seriously considered for the position. 

Additionally, I believe Holtz's $500,000 per year buyout expires after this season, so that should free up some money in the budget to potentially give CWT and his assistants a bump if need be. His new contract is also incentive laden and has a pretty steep buyout that most marginal programs wouldn't want to pony up.  http://www.tbo.com/sports/colleges/usf-bulls/usf-signs-taggart-to-contract-extension-through-2020-season-20151221/

With his pay increase to $1.7 million, he is now right in the middle of the coaches nationwide, and his assistants' salary pool is competitive as well. http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/salaries/ 

Guest PCBull14
1 minute ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Don't think he will automatically leave.  He's from the area.  It's home.  He's not going to leave USF for the lower 50% of "power" programs.  Top programs, then yes, start worrying.  Also, USF could up his salary to 3M like Hermann at Houston, and maybe he stays, at least as long as there is hope of USF getting into Big 12. 

This, See your points BULLZ but CWT might stick around for more money. I don't think he was ever going to take the USCe job even if offered. Hopefully we get in and its a non issue, or the pocket book gets opened up even more.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  1,141
  • Days Won:  2

9 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I expect Herman to be the next HC at LSU.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think you also have to look at where he is so good at recruiting. Even at WKU, he recruited in Florida. Someone else mentioned Kentucky... Tags would have to know that he can build a power in Kentucky recruiting in FL, there just isn't enough connection to the area. So, he would be there a few years, and eventually, he would be forced out. Not to say he wouldn't get that chance, but, I think he knows that if he keeps doing decent to good things here, he can safely stay at USF for a long time (assuming he doesn't allegedly abuse someone).

In any event, it's not worth worrying about. The B12 decision will be made likely before the end of this year. If he wants more, then, he will go. If he does, I wish him well. He has helped to dig us out of the hole that Skippy put us in, and I am grateful to be excited about USF football again. Hopefully the administration learned from the experience of hiring holtz and will have a better understanding of what is required to hire a good candidate for USF, not just the biggest name available. It was the first time going through that process, they obviously did better on the second go-around.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

Also, with his incentives, he could top out over $2 million this year. If FSU maintains the #2 ranking and we beat them, he earns a cool $50,000 ($25,000 for beating any team ranked 11 to 15 and $15,000 for beating a #16-25). If season ticket sales topped 15,000, he gets another $15,000 (only $12,000 if they didn't), $50,000 if he earns AAC Coach of the Year, between $10,000 and $30,000 based on the team GPA, $15,000 if USF reaches any bowl game, $25,000 for any non-NY6 of CFP bowl win, between $5,000 and $25,000 based on total wins,  $10,000 for reaching the AAC Title Game, $50,000 for winning it. There are also huge incentives for reaching/winning a NY6 game ($50,000/$100,000), and even bigger for the CFP ($75,000/$150,000, and NCG ($100,000/$250,000).

He has a good contract if he performs well. With an undefeated season and a loss in the CFP Semifinals, he would be looking at around an additional $285,000 or so, putting him close to $2 million for the year. 

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

i think he is more likely to stay at the helm of a successful USF and build a legacy. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,432
  • Days Won:  19

If this season is as good as, or better than Houston 2015...

Taggart should be paid as much

• Upvote 2