• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Darnell Salomon - Burned Redshirt?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Yeah I like Corey, but the other guy, especially at the beginning of the game was terrible. I'd be surprised if he keeps his job at this rate. He's probably brand new

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Oh, and to keep things on topic, a lot of the time the players want to play right away and don't want a redshirt. I know saving for the future is good, but Taggart probably looks at this a couple of ways.

1. He knows he can recruit well, so doesn't mind using every body he has that can contribute right away. It is always a win now mind set.

2. He knows if he does well now, that he won't be here another 4 years. Which I hope he will be. I think he likes it here, but we will see

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

Perhaps Taggart sees great utility in using him as the fifth receiver and on special teams. There's always a learning curve transitioning from one level to the next, and if he is as physically gifted as he appears to be, accelerating that transition is a good thing in my opinion. I expect him to see increased PT as the season goes on, assuming his progress warrants it.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

CWT recruits skill position players so well that  there's no need to have a "redshirt-first" mentality. Sometimes playing right away is what gets some guys in the door, sometimes they are legitamately that much more talented than some other guys. I still believe you will see some specialty packages built around Soloman's size and athleticism in the next few games. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

I don't think we can play today worried about 2020.  It doesn't work in today's college football environment.  There is always a possibility we might be entering 2020 without quality WR's but that assumes we strike out on about 20 recruits between now and then.  It also assumes Solomon is going to be good enough to matter but not so good that he would leave earlier. And another unfortunate reality is that a lot of guys miss years with injuries at some point in their 4-6 years as a player anyway.

That is before you get into the details of the individual player...some guys need to be on the field to stay focused, academically, physically, and civically.  Some guys need to be on the field to stay at USF.  Those things we don't really know and aren't in a position to judge. 

At other specific positions and players at different stages of physical development it would also be a more questionable call, but he is physically ready and at a position where he might contribute even in limited situations.  

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

On 9/12/2016 at 5:11 PM, Triple B said:

They're supposed to have spotters in the booth with them to point out the correct player.

I've been one of those spotters before .... Lots of times I imagine the spotter is writing down a jersey number on a post it note to tell the broadcaster who made the tackle, then the broadcaster must read the roster to know who that was. Of course double numbers is a problem. One thing a broadcaster will likely try to do is cross of as many numbers on their roster (flip card) as possible. For example if a team as 2 players wearing #10, but one of the two is hurt or clearly redshirting, they will cross them off so they don't accidentally call their name.

Side note: when we say a coach burned a red shirt, when a touted recruit comes here, to get them here, Coach might have promised they would play as a freshman (if that was important to the player). So, the coach might just be keeping their word to the player, even if fans don't understand.  

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

57 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

I've been one of those spotters before .... Lots of times I imagine the spotter is writing down a jersey number on a post it note to tell the broadcaster who made the tackle, then the broadcaster must read the roster to know who that was.

I always thought the spotters would point to the player on a roster sitting in front of announcers ..... That would seem the most efficient way to do it.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

MORE SALOMON SIGHTINGS? Taggart acknowledged four-star freshman WR Darnell Salomon, reduced to a cameo in each of the Bulls' first two games, was slowed by a hamstring injury in preseason camp. For now, he's not being considered for a redshirt; quite the opposite.

"He's going to continue to get better and continue to be part of the offense," Taggart said.

"Darnell missed a big part of our training camp...so he's from a development (standpoint), hadn't had a lot of reps out there and each week, each practice he's getting better, he's learning. But he's a smart kid, he's picking it up pretty quick."

USF Sports Bulletin

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

59 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I always thought the spotters would point to the player on a roster sitting in front of announcers ..... That would seem the most efficient way to do it.

Truth be told, my spotting was for a PA announcer, where I would say, "Tackle, #45" before he turned on the mic. He would be responsible for looking up who #45 was. He would also watch the offense, I would watch the D, but I would help with the offense as much as I could without missing the D. 

The print on roster flip cards is pretty small, I have heard written down for Radio TV guys, since my talking method wouldn't work in an environment where the mic is always live. At the end of the day, it is up to the on air person to ask for the information in the way that is best for them. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  6

49 minutes ago, Triple B said:

MORE SALOMON SIGHTINGS? Taggart acknowledged four-star freshman WR Darnell Salomon, reduced to a cameo in each of the Bulls' first two games, was slowed by a hamstring injury in preseason camp. For now, he's not being considered for a redshirt; quite the opposite.

"He's going to continue to get better and continue to be part of the offense," Taggart said.

"Darnell missed a big part of our training camp...so he's from a development (standpoint), hadn't had a lot of reps out there and each week, each practice he's getting better, he's learning. But he's a smart kid, he's picking it up pretty quick."

USF Sports Bulletin

So does that mean after next week's game they will decide if his hamstring *wink wink* is bad enough for him to put his redshirt back on?