• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

OL and WR Unsung Heros in Early Season

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

The OL has played well through two games. They have opened big holes for long runs. 

The WR's blocking down field has been nothing short of fantastic.  Last night there was a holding call on a WR during a run that was legit.  Other than that, as a group they understand their role on running plays.

I realize it's been Towson and NIU and the competition over the next three weeks will be much improved.

Great job to the OL and WR to this point in the season!

#BlockingMatters

Go Bulls! 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Agreed on the WR blocking.  It's a must with the type of offense we run.

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

I am pleasantly surprised by the OL. Granted, we have outclassed our competition thus far. Can't wait to see how they fare against Cuse.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Syracuse has issues with depth & experience on their defensive line...which will only help our O-line.  I agree blocking is key for our WRs, especially with all of the QB designed runs, etc.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  4,131
  • Days Won:  15

Syracuse has massive issues in their defensive backfield.  Adams and the USF Receivers should have career days.  We shall see. 

Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,523
  • Days Won:  10

After seeing what Wyoming did to NIU in the rushing category, I was expecting to see bigger numbers from our RBs.  I suspect that was an area of emphasis for them in practice this week, but we seemed to have issues creating holes up the middle.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, Ricky the Bull said:

After seeing what Wyoming did to NIU in the rushing category, I was expecting to see bigger numbers from our RBs.  I suspect that was an area of emphasis for them in practice this week, but we seemed to have issues creating holes up the middle.

You have to remember that we scored so fast through the air, they really didn't get a whole lot of carries to get rushing totals up. If you only count the running backs (Tice and Johnson) average per rush, it was 5.8 yards per carry. That is a very impressive number.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,116
  • Days Won:  7

6 hours ago, Ricky the Bull said:

4 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

You have to remember that we scored so fast through the air, they really didn't get a whole lot of carries to get rushing totals up. If you only count the running backs (Tice and Johnson) average per rush, it was 5.8 yards per carry. That is a very impressive number.

And even with that factored in, we rushed for 293 yards (207 by the RBs). I'll take that kind of production at the RB position any day. Tice certainly has turned into a quality back and Johnson added 4 receptions for 33 yards and a TD to cap off a very good day. 

This line is getting the time and live game practice to gel that it needs to be able to hold up against FSU. That defensive front is going to be an incredible challenge, they are quality inside and out. 

Another point that I noticed-this team looked much better tackling. Oh, they let a couple of plays through, but for the most part they were getting stops at the point of attack and it got better as time went on.