• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Guest PCBull14
2 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Pretty sure CWT mentioned throwing balls into the dirt in the post game interview and penalties as areas where we need to improve. Love to hear that from him.

That's why I said clear what needs addressing...:GoBulls:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

5 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

That's why I said clear what needs addressing...:GoBulls:

Ha you saying it and CWT saying it are a little different ;-) I know of a few times where it was clear things needed to be addressed but CWT would not state it publicly. I like the fact that he called out Q to be better b/c that means he expects more of him now.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

Guest PCBull14
4 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Ha you saying it and CWT saying it are a little different ;-) I know of a few times where it was clear things needed to be addressed but CWT would not state it publicly. I like the fact that he called out Q to be better b/c that means he expects more of him now.

Agreed!

He isn't like Holtz. That's why the players like him so much. He'll call you out and then build you up in the same conversation. Not all hugs and rainbows, but he's not making you hate yourself either.  I hope we can hang on to this guy for awhile. Would not mind him being our Bobby Bowden. 

Edited by PCBull14

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

7 minutes ago, PCBull14 said:

Agreed!

He isn't like Holtz. That's why the players like him so much. He'll call you out and then build you up in the same conversation. Not all hugs and rainbows, but he's not making you hate yourself either.  I hope we can hang on to this guy for awhile. Would not mind him being our Bobby Bowden. 

Not sure if you saw the BayMade video but CWT is really coming into his own. He is starting to get more comfortable on camera/in his skin (man was he stiff and quiet frankly boring in national interviews last year). Even on the sidelines yesterday, I saw a side of him that I haven't until now. He was confident barking at refs for poor calls and didn't have a deer in the headlights look. Basically haven't seen that type of coach on our sidelines since CJL.

Edited by Bull-Hornz

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

10 minutes ago, Bull-Hornz said:

Not sure if you saw the BayMade video but CWT is really coming into his own. He is starting to get more comfortable on camera/in his skin (man was he stiff and quiet frankly boring in national interviews last year). Even on the sidelines yesterday, I saw a side of him that I haven't until now. He was confident barking at refs for poor calls and didn't have a deer in the headlights look. Basically haven't seen that type of coach on our sidelines since CJL.

He is now where he envisioned being.  The guys are older and more prepared.  He knows he has a squad.  If the Biggest complaint coming out of this game is the QB threw a couple of passes into the dirt, we're doing just fine.  This was the second game of the season and I've seen some terrible QBing going on around the country.  We're lucky to have him... and he's lucky to have Flowers.

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

4 minutes ago, Calibull said:

He is now where he envisioned being.  The guys are older and more prepared.  He knows he has a squad.  If the Biggest complaint coming out of this game is the QB threw a couple of passes into the dirt, we're doing just fine.  This was the second game of the season and I've seen some terrible QBing going on around the country.  We're lucky to have him... and he's lucky to have Flowers.

Hate to put this on QF, but when FSU comes into town in two weeks, many of us know this is the sole opportunity for a Houston-OU result with everyone in the Big 12 watching. The stands will be packed. The entire nation will be watching a Florida State team that will be ranked #2 in the nation (assuming they slow Petrino and company down this week). After watching the Louisville game the other night, I really don't think there's much difference between our skill players and their skill players. The question mark for us is at QB (read on before shooting my glass house up).

There were many things to be excited about with Flowers stat line last night - I mean who seriously complains about 300+ yards, four TD's and no interceptions when you look at the box score? However (and there's always a however - ask Lane Kiffin about Saban's however from yesterday), Flowers missed badly on many passes that were short and intermediate throws. Who really thinks our receivers (a good group - but still dropping their fair share of balls) will have this type of separation versus the defensive backfield of Florida State? I can't expect Flowers to be perfect, but Coach Canales would say you have to make the easy throws if you want to be successful. Our wide receivers can run under those deep balls all day - but you have to give them a chance when you're playing a team with similar or superior athletes on those seven to 15 yard routes and the simple swing passes. If not, our guys are going to get blown up and we'll be dealing with three and outs all day.

Florida State will be coming into the game well tested versus two quality opponents - we are getting excited about two games where we did our jobs versus teams we were expected to beat (NIU and Cuse). Just like we made fun of UCF for winning their 2007 CUSA title while getting slapped like a red headed step child when they played us, we are looking at the mirror image of UCF nine years later. 

Hate to put it all on Q, but if you want the glory of being the QB, these are the games where you have to have your Blackwell, Grothe, Daniels moments.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  70
  • Content Count:  611
  • Days Won:  3

12 hours ago, Triple B said:

Absolutely he did ..... Pretty much every qb does .... I think what sets off the QF detractors is that some of his misses are really really ugly. Realtiy is he went 20-33 and the majority of those completions were of the short to intermediate variety.

I don't think it's fair to call any critics of him detractors. I like Flowers from the start. I think he is the best QB we have and unquestionably should be the starter. But I have always had doubts about his accuracy. It's probably the only weakness of his game but not something that he can't improve. He looked a little better this game than the first but he won't have the luxury of as many second chances against better defenses.

• Upvote 1

Guest PCBull14
9 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

Hate to put this on QF, but when FSU comes into town in two weeks, many of us know this is the sole opportunity for a Houston-OU result with everyone in the Big 12 watching. The stands will be packed. The entire nation will be watching a Florida State team that will be ranked #2 in the nation (assuming they slow Petrino and company down this week). After watching the Louisville game the other night, I really don't think there's much difference between our skill players and their skill players. The question mark for us is at QB (read on before shooting my glass house up).

There were many things to be excited about with Flowers stat line last night - I mean who seriously complains about 300+ yards, four TD's and no interceptions when you look at the box score? However (and there's always a however - ask Lane Kiffin about Saban's however from yesterday), Flowers missed badly on many passes that were short and intermediate throws. Who really thinks our receivers (a good group - but still dropping their fair share of balls) will have this type of separation versus the defensive backfield of Florida State? I can't expect Flowers to be perfect, but Coach Canales would say you have to make the easy throws if you want to be successful. Our wide receivers can run under those deep balls all day - but you have to give them a chance when you're playing a team with similar or superior athletes on those seven to 15 yard routes and the simple swing passes. If not, our guys are going to get blown up and we'll be dealing with three and outs all day.

Florida State will be coming into the game well tested versus two quality opponents - we are getting excited about two games where we did our jobs versus teams we were expected to beat (NIU and Cuse). Just like we made fun of UCF for winning their 2007 CUSA title while getting slapped like a red headed step child when they played us, we are looking at the mirror image of UCF nine years later. 

Hate to put it all on Q, but if you want the glory of being the QB, these are the games where you have to have your Blackwell, Grothe, Daniels moments.

So basically you just said what everyone has already said. He needs to improve on the shorter throws...got it. 

FWIW I would love to see that UCF team play this USF team. I don't think the score changes much at all.

Edited by PCBull14

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

9 minutes ago, The Sheriff said:

I'm not getting excited over 2 games.  I'm looking at the trend and body of work.  This team has won 10 of their last 12 and the scoring average is climbing.  I'm not looking at FSU, I'm looking at Cuse.  Flowers is fine.  He's got better from game 1-2... and expect it from game 2-3.   King is doing a great job with him.  He's not going to be perfect, nobody is.  I watched top QBs throw passes into the dirt on short routes all day long.  He's getting better and I look for him to improve against Cuse.  He hasn't even really started running yet because he hasn't needed to.  In a big game like FSU, I can see him doing just the opposite of what you're concerned about, I think he could get in that game and just go HAM.  Keeping him contained is not easy.  I think many people here are taking what he does lightly.  He forces defenses to play us differently.  I still don't think some here realize how good we are.  

Right now... He's better than BJ was at this point and Grothe also.  They never putted up these numbers and threw this few interceptions.  He's breaking their records... literally as we go along.  I think people forget how bad they looked at times. 

Edited by Calibull
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

1 minute ago, Calibull said:

I'm not getting excited over 2 games.  I'm looking at the trend and body of work.  This team has won 10 of their last 12 and the scoring average is climbing.  I'm not looking at FSU, I'm looking at Cuse.  Flowers is fine.  He's got better from game 1-2... and expect it from game 2-3.   King is doing a great job with him.  He's not going to be perfect, nobody is.  I watched top QBs throw passes into the dirt on short routes all day long.  He's getting better and I look for him to improve against Cuse.  He hasn't even really started running yet because he hasn't needed to.  In a big game like FSU, I can see him doing just the opposite of what you're concerned about, I think he could get in that game and just go HAM.  Keeping him contained is not easy.  I think many people here are taking what he does lightly.  He forces defenses to play us differently.  I still don't think some here realize how good we are.  

He can certainly get it done and has the ability to have a great game.  I am optimistic :)