• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting Class looks to have Perfect Retention

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:

I always find news like this fascinating to be able to compare and contrast coaches and philosophies.  Taggart is the polar opposite of Leavitt recruiting.  Leavitt would go after a bunch of high risk/high reward players knowing he would lose some along the way to academics/behavior/work ethic.  He really hoped to hit about one in three that would be solid contributers.  It meant he got better players than he should, but less of them.  So his teams were historically overachievers but thin and struggle later in the year.

Taggart wants more guys that he can mold over a longer period of time, rather than guys that would bubble to the top.  I think this is the more sustainable model, if you can pull it off.  It might be the more difficult way to build.

In any event, reflects well on the staff.

Who are you and what have you done with WYD?  

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

Jim Leavitts teams were way better than any Taggart has had so far. He certainly has a chance to kake a great team this year though

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

5 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Jim Leavitts teams were way better than any Taggart has had so far. He certainly has a chance to kake a great team this year though

In what way? I always thought Leavitt's teams lacked good discipline. We used to commit some seriously boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune time under the Leavitt regime. Under Taggart, not as much. 

1 hour ago, Paisa el Toro said:

In what way? I always thought Leavitt's teams lacked good discipline. We used to commit some seriously boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune time under the Leavitt regime. Under Taggart, not as much. 

In the way that our defense was absolutely stacked, and not even the best offenses in the country could score on us, thats how. Under Taggert, Western Kentucky scores 45, and a sputtering Maryland with no QB to speak of scores 35. Not saying our D sucks now, but our Dline generally has been significantly worse than Leavitt years, and who is going to be drafted besides Nichols? Its not Auggie. MAYBE Senat? You tell me.

This team's success will be placed squarely on QF and Mack. I will say this for Flowers, if he makes any progression at all this offseason, he has a chance to claim the title of best USF QB ever. I happen to like his chances

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

11 hours ago, tburns said:

I think Ivy still has to finish a class so I'm sure it's not a definite he makes it. 

The encouraging thing is he's always been expected to be an August arrival. Usually where you run into problems with Juco is when the goalpost for arrival keeps moving.  That usually means they're having trouble in the classroom. It's also encouraging that a team spokes person came out publicly and said he's expected to be here in August for camp.

"Considering that school of thought, here's your aberration for the day: Seventeen of the Bulls' 18 football signees already are on campus, team spokesman Brian Siegrist confirmed Wednesday. The 18th, Butler (Kan.) Community College DE Tramal Ivy, will arrive for fall camp, Siegrist added."

Edited by Bull Dozer

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

17 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Who are you and what have you done with WYD?  

On the field, Leavitt seemed to always get the most out of his players unlike Taggart who struggles with game day planning and execution.

Better?

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, Who'sYourData? said:

On the field, Leavitt seemed to always get the most out of his players unlike Taggart who struggles with game day planning and execution.

Better?

I don't know if I'd say "better," but certainly more consistent. ;)

Speaking of recruiting class, is anyone worried that we are seriously lagging behind in recruiting for 2017? Yes, it is very early, but by this time, we usually have quite a few recruits already

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

18 minutes ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

Speaking of recruiting class, is anyone worried that we are seriously lagging behind in recruiting for 2017? Yes, it is very early, but by this time, we usually have quite a few recruits already

It's been a little concerning for me too but like you said it's still really early. We'll get guys that will flip, and howl fully this season will also help build up even more hype for the program. 

What sucks is I keep thinking about if ( and probably when) Taggart leaves what our program will look like. It's way too early for me to be thinking about that but if we have a huge season unfortunately people are going to come after him. 

I think we have an extremely high chance of keeping Taggart with success if the rest of the AAC looks good, and he feels like there is a foundation for continued success. Tom Herman, Matt Rhule, and Ken N from Navy all stayed at their respective AAC programs even with larger program offers. I think there is something to build here. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't see him leaving before QF/Mack graduate in 2 years.  Plus that is when his contract ends (not that that means anything)

Edited by NavyUSFGuy