• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting Class looks to have Perfect Retention

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  431
  • Days Won:  0

With the combination of everything that we have going, this is nothing but by design. With the exception, of course, that no four star and up guys that we would take right away have offered to commit.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

20 hours ago, NavyUSFGuy said:

How can you say Leavitt's teams never won a thing when neither have Taggart's? We are only comparing those two. Besides, those Leavitt teams sure won a LOT more than Taggart has so far, including making a #2 ranking, and winning huge games. Not to mention they had tons more notable players drafted. This shouldn't even be a conversation as to whose teams were better. Taggart has a huge opportunity this year to change that, but as of now, this is a non discussion. Leavitt teams > Taggart teams

I am not trying to defend smazza.  He does have a point that Leavitt never won anything.  It is true.  Either has CWT.

I think they are both really good coaches.  I was disappointed with the October fade under CJL and I admit the thoughts of him reaching some kind of plateau started entering my mind toward the end of his tenure. 

I think the #2 ranking and the following drop off was a microcosm of CJL's coaching issues.  He was able to get the team up for the big games but they lacked consistency and there were parts of the game he seemed to think were not important that really were (special teams leap to mind).  At the end of the #2 season we were unranked and did not win the Big East so either the rank was inflated and meaningless or we had a breathtaking lack of consistency (which the #2 team in the country should never demonstrate).  

CWT teams do not appear to be giant killers but they seem to win games they should in the second half of the season against conference rivals on the road.  For example ECU was a classic game we would have coughed up in the past.  Once we became bowl eligible we kept on winning which was a nice surprise.

The jury is still out on CWT. If he can build on what we saw the second half of the season and actually win the league I am ready to anoint him to be a better coach than CJL but as of now he hasn't done anything either.

As for who won more games, I think that is not really fair since CWT has only been here 3 seasons and inherited a dumpster fire.  Same goes for NFL players.  

Edited by mark_my_words
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,106
  • Days Won:  6

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Conference championships is all that matters. Once (and if) CWT does that he surpasses CJL in my opinion. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

We have much better depth with Taggart than with Leavitt. I wouldn't expect to see any kind of midseason fallout like we did with Leavitt. Plus Leavitt relied way to much on the QB position, which can become predictable, doesn't spread the defense, and further exacerbates the midseason collapse. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

21 hours ago, OcalaBull2 said:

I'm a little concerned about the O line. But QF is so elusive. It was a concern last year too but they really surprised us so hopefully that happens again. 

I meant in recruiting, but again there's still plenty of time. I'm honestly not as worried about the lines this year as most. By design we are concerned losing three starters on the oline but I believe the quality depth is there; even if the numbers are not. As long as Ivey makes it in August I like our pass rushers and will feel even better on the interior if Calloway qualifies. 

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

1 more good year and CWT will be gone and we won't have to worry about these comparisons anymore.

• Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, beastiebull said:

1 more good year and CWT will be gone and we won't have to worry about these comparisons anymore.

So would you say it was you who predicted the demise of the employment situation of CWT at USF?  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

So would you say it was you who predicted the demise of the employment situation of CWT at USF?  

How does one take credit for a prediction which has not yet occurred?

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

On 7/5/2016 at 0:59 PM, TExpress said:

We have much better depth with Taggart than with Leavitt. I wouldn't expect to see any kind of midseason fallout like we did with Leavitt. Plus Leavitt relied way to much on the QB position, which can become predictable, doesn't spread the defense, and further exacerbates the midseason collapse. 

Disagree, Leavitt was a good coach that relied on the strength of the team. Usually it was the defense. Any coach would have relied on Grothe, Daniels, Blackwell... Leavitt also coached a guy by the name of Andre Hall... we were a very run-heavy team during his time at USF. 

On 7/5/2016 at 0:31 PM, mark_my_words said:

I am not trying to defend smazza.  He does have a point that Leavitt never won anything.  It is true.  Either has CWT.

I think they are both really good coaches.  I was disappointed with the October fade under CJL and I admit the thoughts of him reaching some kind of plateau started entering my mind toward the end of his tenure. 

I think the #2 ranking and the following drop off was a microcosm of CJL's coaching issues.  He was able to get the team up for the big games but they lacked consistency and there were parts of the game he seemed to think were not important that really were (special teams leap to mind).  At the end of the #2 season we were unranked and did not win the Big East so either the rank was inflated and meaningless or we had a breathtaking lack of consistency (which the #2 team in the country should never demonstrate).  

CWT teams do not appear to be giant killers but they seem to win games they should in the second half of the season against conference rivals on the road.  For example ECU was a classic game we would have coughed up in the past.  Once we became bowl eligible we kept on winning which was a nice surprise.

The jury is still out on CWT. If he can build on what we saw the second half of the season and actually win the league I am ready to anoint him to be a better coach than CJL but as of now he hasn't done anything either.

As for who won more games, I think that is not really fair since CWT has only been here 3 seasons and inherited a dumpster fire.  Same goes for NFL players.  

2007 "Collapse" - 3 games lost by a grand total of 15 points.

Rutgers - completely robbed in every phase of the game... lost by 3

Uconn - They were ranked at the time, at home, and there was a snow storm... lost by 7

* By the way, Edsall said after the game that it was the best win in program history for UConn... when someone says that about a USF team again, I think we will all be feeling great about the program.

Cincy - Lost by 5. I think Grothe threw 22 picks that day. Amazingly, we had a chance to win the game at the end, but, dropped a catchable pass and got mugged on the next one.

I just can't see that as a "collapse". You can make an argument for the next year possibly, but, that year, the team was stacked and just had some bad luck. 2009 I think would have been the year if Grothe hadn't gotten hurt. Daniels wasn't ready yet. That year I think would have been very special with Grothe at the QB position.

For the first time since 2010, I am truly excited about what the season can be (I am always excited for the season, just more excited about potential results this year). I think Taggart turned a corner last year and I can't wait to see where we go. Flowers is extremely fun to watch and Mack may be the most special talent we have ever had at USF. I think if Taggart can build on last year, he can be successful for many years here.