• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

American College cricket semifinal-USF VS. DREXEL

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

That seems a little snippy.  Yes, maybe a billion people play, but that's because it's the most popular sport in India (second most populated country in the world at 1.2 billion people) and Pakistan (200 million people).

Jtrue is correct.

You're leaving out Bangladesh (150 million), the Caribbean (39 million), England (64 million), Australia (23 million), New Zealand (4.4 million), South Africa (53 million), and Zimbabwe (14 million). Then you have lower tier sides like Afghanistan (30 million) where everyone is nuts about cricket in that country. You're talking about another 377 million people in those countries, all of whom follow cricket at some level. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

39 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Jtrue is correct.

You're leaving out Bangladesh (150 million), the Caribbean (39 million), England (64 million), Australia (23 million), New Zealand (4.4 million), South Africa (53 million), and Zimbabwe (14 million). Then you have lower tier sides like Afghanistan (30 million) where everyone is nuts about cricket in that country. You're talking about another 377 million people in those countries, all of whom follow cricket at some level. 

Isn't Kenya in the mix too? That's another 45 million people.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

I read up on the Cricket club on the USF website and apparently there are students who come to USF because of our competitive cricket club. Who knew! I don't much about cricket but am willing to learn. Go Bulls!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Yet 1,000 people in America gives a ****. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So it's more popular than soccer?

31 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Isn't Kenya in the mix too? That's another 45 million people.

You're correct, as is Namibia. 

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I went to a cricket match in NYC last year. Butts in seats attendance was 27k. I'd say more than 1000 people give a ****. 

And for those of you who are like "whatever", come on. So what if cricket is a club sport? That doesn't change the fact that we won a national championship in it. I hope we can applaud any USF team that wins a national championship in any sport, whether it's football or cricket. 

Additionally-we talk about being an international university, and that's great. If we're drawing highly qualified students from the Indian subcontinent because they want to play cricket while they're here, then that's a win for us-those are students who will donate back to USF because they enjoyed their time here. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 hours ago, JTrue said:

You're sort of glossing over the fact that it is the second most popular sport in basically every other British (or former British) territory. So it has a VERY large following all over the Caribbean, Africa, Australia, etc.

I didn't gloss over that.  The fact still remains, of those 1 billion that play cricket the vast majority of them are Indian and Pakistani,  Cricket is the most popular sport in only 5 countries (India, Pakistan, Antigua and Barbuda, Botswana, and Sri Lanka) http://chartsbin.com/view/33104

I'm not degrading cricket in anyway, I just responded to what I thought was a snide remark.