• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happened last year?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

We had Mike White, and it was basically the same team. But that team was painful to watch.

So, what changed?

Did the players mature and execute better?

Or did CWT misunderstood Sunshine football and Sunshine players (I used 'sunshine' because of the lizards up I-75)?

My feeling is that CWT threw away a year on the field. Sure, the staff recruited and the players practiced. But last year was simply a continuation of a failed experiment from year one (year one doesn't count because he took over a mess). Additionally, had CWT kept the same system (one that he installed and wanted us to play like Wisconsin), he'd be fired right now or getting close to it.

We played slow football, and we played tight formations, and we had no emotions whatsoever.

Here's the crux of my argument. You take this same team and play the same way as last year (same style) and tell me that we'd have the same record.

Here's the real question. What if Mike White had stayed? Would the system have changed or was the change implemented during the spring game and Mike saw the writing on the wall? --But CWT was shocked that Mike was leaving -when Mike told him he was leaving. Sooo... this leads me to believe things weren't going to change that much, not until Flowers was the only option. And then it wasn't really changed (look at the Memphis game again), not until Flowers told CWT to loosen up the play calling.

It comes down to this:

CWT didn't adapt to his players' abilities and styles for the first two years -and up to the Memphis game. After the Memphis game, it all changed.

Therefore, I contend that we could have gone bowling (reach 6 wins) during the second season (last year), if he would have adapted to his players' strengths, instead of making them play "his" system.

It's all good now. And I couldn't be more thrilled. But I think we could have been spared the extra year of pain, last year.

Edited by TimBulla
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

I have to think that a whole new set of assistant coaches has had something to do with it, and of course having a dual-threat quarterback in QF.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,721
  • Days Won:  109

Mike White left because the system changed.  QF and Bench were more running type QBs and Mike knew he wasn't seeing the field this year.  

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

It comes down to this:

CWT didn't adapt to his players' abilities and styles for the first two years -and up to the Memphis game. After the Memphis game, it all changed.

Therefore, I contend that we could have gone bowling (reach 6 wins) during the second season (last year), if he would have adapted to his players' strengths, instead of making them play "his" system.

It's all good now. And I couldn't be more thrilled. But I think we could have been spared the extra year of pain, last year.

I think that's a reach. Mike White wouldn't have been able to run this offense, Bench probably would have struggled, and Q wasn't ready. Would have been interesting to see how the first few games would have gone this year though, if they'd had the extra game time experience last year. I'm just happy he adapted and got coaches that could help our kids succeed more.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

The team was even younger and some of the guys who are big time contributors this season weren't ready to be at starters last season. Last year's team did exactly as expected imo. Lots of young but talented kids thrown into the fire that made a lot of stupid mistakes but also some flashes of talent and a bright future. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

Yup.  No complaints here.  Except I'd take another shot at FSU, MD, and Memphis again with the new adjustments to the offense.

Edited by MaltLiquorBull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Upgrading from Wulf and Breezy to Allen and Hope played a big part.  Both Wulf and Breezy were Harbaugh recommendations and both went over like 2 turds in a punch bowl.

CWT probably felt it's time to make his own decisions on his staff instead of going with who the Harbaugh's say he should go with.

Also, last year whenever we went up tempo the offense moved the ball even with White at QB, I think we saw small glimses of that in the Tulsa and SMU games.  So that had an influence.  Also, I belive Kinnan has had a lot influence behind the scenes.

However, we got here is okay by me.

Go Bulls and beat Cinci!!

Edited by El_Toro_86
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  16
  • Content Count:  636
  • Days Won:  0

If I can recall, Mike White fell to third in the depth chart during the spring with this offense. I still think he'll do really well at WKU when his chance begins. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

All this success is is solely because of the players calling plays. Johnson and Flowers run the offense not the coaches :stirpot:

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

There are a lot of reasons why we turned it around. OL and DL are playing more physical... QB can throw and run... DBs are solid... better play calling on both sides of the ball