• Join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other Bulls fans!

New Years Day Bowl?

Members do not see this ad, Register

I am not sure that's true - I belive its the highest ranked G5 team that would be selected. While its logical to assume that would be a conference champion, I'd have to think there would be a higher ranked G5 team than a 9-4 USF team is everything broke our way.

The highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff#Additional_selection_criteria

Edited by Capital H

I am not sure that's true - I belive its the highest ranked G5 team that would be selected. While its logical to assume that would be a conference champion, I'd have to think there would be a higher ranked G5 team than a 9-4 USF team is everything broke our way.

Nope, it is true. You have to a champion of your conference first. Then they look at your rankings compared to other conference champions in the G5. 

Unless we get invited to one of the better bowls, a part of me really wants the season to end with us beating Cinci, slaughtering UCF, and then beating La Tech. It would feel like we finally shut the door on the Skippy era

The door was finally shut  on the "Skippy era" last night ... No need to tempt fate.

I thought the same thing so I emailed Scott Draper who is the Football Director of the AAC and asked him.  Below is his reply.

Scott Draper <SDraper@theamerican.org>

Nov 10 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

For a Group of 5 team to be eligible for a Host Bowl, they must be a Conference Champion, regardless of record. 

I hope that answers your question. 

Thanks!  Scott Draper

Sent from my iPhone