• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

New Years Day Bowl?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I know it is doubtful, but I see that  Boise lost last night and now has 3 losses. Toledo still has 1 loss. If each could lose one more time and USF makes it to the Championship game against Houston or Navy and wins would be playing on News Years Day????

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

Still a long shot but becoming a little more probable. Toledo will lose to Bowling Green. 

Highly doubtful. There are four teams in the AAC with much better records than us with just two weeks to go. Even Cincy has the same record as us.

True but ONLY the conference champion can play on New Years Day. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I am not sure that's true - I belive its the highest ranked G5 team that would be selected. While its logical to assume that would be a conference champion, I'd have to think there would be a higher ranked G5 team than a 9-4 USF team is everything broke our way.

The highest-ranked champion from the "Group of Five" conferences (The American, C-USA, Mid-American, Mountain West, and Sun Belt) is guaranteed a berth if the group's top team is not in the playoff.[50]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff#Additional_selection_criteria

Edited by Capital H

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

Hey, here's something that's even crazier: we have a chance to be ranked at the end of the season!

• Upvote 2

I am not sure that's true - I belive its the highest ranked G5 team that would be selected. While its logical to assume that would be a conference champion, I'd have to think there would be a higher ranked G5 team than a 9-4 USF team is everything broke our way.

Nope, it is true. You have to a champion of your conference first. Then they look at your rankings compared to other conference champions in the G5. 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  1,624
  • Days Won:  0

Unless we get invited to one of the better bowls, a part of me really wants the season to end with us beating Cinci, slaughtering UCF, and then beating La Tech. It would feel like we finally shut the door on the Skippy era

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Unless we get invited to one of the better bowls, a part of me really wants the season to end with us beating Cinci, slaughtering UCF, and then beating La Tech. It would feel like we finally shut the door on the Skippy era

The door was finally shut  on the "Skippy era" last night ... No need to tempt fate.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

The door was finally shut  on the "Skippy era" last night ... No need to tempt fate.

I am not a venegeful guy and I know Skippy bag of donuts was overwhelmed here...but I got to admit whooping him in a bowl game would really be a statement that THIS is a NEW BULLS ERA!

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,612
  • Days Won:  51

I thought the same thing so I emailed Scott Draper who is the Football Director of the AAC and asked him.  Below is his reply.

Scott Draper <SDraper@theamerican.org>

Nov 10 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

For a Group of 5 team to be eligible for a Host Bowl, they must be a Conference Champion, regardless of record. 

I hope that answers your question. 

Thanks!  Scott Draper

Sent from my iPhone