• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF vs. S. Florida

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

I can't seem to get over this.  For the past few seasons I have noticed that we are constantly labeled S. Florida, instead of USF.  It looks like crap on TV.  To make matters worse, it seems that C. Florida gets to be labeled UCF everywhere.  

I am a believer in "words matter"

Nobody labels Southern California as S. California.  

I think it cheapens us and makes us appear less than.

So, I have a few questions.

#1 Is it our administration that determines our label?  If so, why can't they insist on USF?

#2 Is it the networks? If so, why does UCF not get slapped with C. Florida?

I firmly believe that this is a big deal and says more about how we are perceived than most realize.  It reeks  of the directional school image that nobody wants to have.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I like USF but announcers will call us UCF on occasion.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

We have a guide that tells networks how we want to be labeled, and I believe USF is the desired label we've indicated.

Unfortunately, the networks do whatever they want.

We have a guide that tells networks how we want to be labeled, and I believe USF is the desired label we've indicated.

...and I just don't get that.  Why would the networks want to stretch out our name and make it look ridiculous?  Do the networks want to minimize us?  I believe these things are calculated decisions by somebody and for some reason.  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

...and I just don't get that.  Why would the networks want to stretch out our name and make it look ridiculous?  Do the networks want to minimize us?  I believe these things are calculated decisions by somebody and for some reason.  

I see S. Florida a lot on the ticker, but lately, in game seems to use logos. I know that it is a major thing to use the right logos within campus. The academics get pissed when anything has the bull horns on the U. The school also has a guide that lays out all of the colors, usage, etc. It doesn't cover USF v. S. Florida though.

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

I couldn't disagree more, i much rather be referred to as South Florida than USF,  obviously South Florida doesn't fit on the TV screen so they have no choice but to put S. Florida.  A lot of times on the bottom line it does say South Florida, when the box score appears it shows South Florida, this is definitely the way it should be.  

I would have to imagine the administration kinds of sorta decides though i imagine ESPN has some say, anything the conference puts out unfortunately they label us as USF.   

Our school name is South Florida, it looks better sounds better & hopefully continues to be that way nationally…..

• Upvote 1

I couldn't disagree more, i much rather be referred to as South Florida than USF,  obviously South Florida doesn't fit on the TV screen so they have no choice but to put S. Florida.  A lot of times on the bottom line it does say South Florida, when the box score appears it shows South Florida, this is definitely the way it should be.  

I would have to imagine the administration kinds of sorta decides though i imagine ESPN has some say, anything the conference puts out unfortunately they label us as USF.   

Our school name is South Florida, it looks better sounds better & hopefully continues to be that way nationally…..

Do you think USC wants to be called Southern California and the networks are just sticking it to them?  Do you not believe in the directional school perception?    

• Topic Count:  479
  • Content Count:  1,991
  • Days Won:  0

Do you think USC wants to be called Southern California and the networks are just sticking it to them?  Do you not believe in the directional school perception?    

In this situation i do not believe you can compare 2 programs,  at this point it doesn't effect USC they have a brand identity established,  identity is still something we are working on, and i believe it is much easier to identify with us as South Florida.  I also don't believe we should be using our shield logo anywhere, the "U" is what should all always be used.  the same thing needs to be ingrained in peoples heads, time after time, year after year that is the only way they will get it.  Most schools don't identify with initials and majority that do have been around for hundreds of years.  

Just as you can say about Southern Cal,  i can say North Carolina doesn't brand UNC and South Carolina certainly doesn't brand USC…..

Edited by Jewbull

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

The "S. Florida" thing was instituted by the school itself. Around the peak of the football program, they started insisting that we be referred to as South Florida rather than USF, which seemed to be the norm before that.

Edited by WWMJD