• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Start Bench

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Unfortunately I can't say the same...at least in this thread I have mostly seen people asking to see Bench making mostly logical arguements while the QF as starter supporters have been making excuses...

Again I am not against QF playing or even starting next game, I am just not being dogmatic about it. It's not one or the other, one has skill set the other doesn't. Just play the QB that is best suited for us to win. If MD has a poor secondary, then we should be all calling for SB so we can take advantage of that matchup.

QF has started 3 games. we have won 2 of them. the one loss was to a top ten team on the road. no one is arguing he is a heisman contender.

no one is dogmatic. Bench has appeared in 14 games for us. He is 3-11. The wins were FAMU, Western Carolina (1-1 for 10 yards) and Cincy (1-1 for 7 yards). last year he would have ranked #106 in the country for passer ranking.

you guys act like we have joe montana on the bench.

I have said that Bench should be put into the game if we are down by more than 2 TDs in the 4th quarter otherwise i believe flowers gives us a better chance. he doesn't get sacked as much , he takes care of the ball better, and is a better runner.

LOL...I am not sure you watched last season at all but if it were up to QF, the only win QF would have would be against FAMU. Now that IS what I call using number to support a foregone conclusion.

Also I believe most of us are not advocating QF not play just be used in the right situations. Conversely the other side is advocating SB not play at all...which seems more reasonable? I wonder....

Who has said that Bench shouldn't play? He should if we are forced into a passing situation dictated by game flow. otherwise it should be Flowers.

Those stats you want to look at for Bench were in garbage time. His only 2 good games were Cincy and maybe memphis. They came in the 4th quarter when we were down 27-3 against Cincy and 31-13 against memphis. 2 of those 3 TDs were the last drive of the game and were meaningless.

Garbage Time:

Listen...I am not arguing whether or not those came against good teams, bad teams, "non-garbage" or garbage time etc etc...I am saying he has tools that QF does not, which is being able to execute most throws we need from a QB which is an argument to use SB and are not meaningless. 

Using the right QB at the right time:

Welcome to the fray  :thumbsup:

you haven't watched much USF football if you really believe he has the right tools.

QF is a better runner than Bench is a passer.

Bench would have been ranked #106 passer last year. that includes 4 of the games you cited 2 of which were garbage time with 2 final drives that resulted in TDs.

the other 2 he was rated lower than Flowers was against FSU.

and yes i do want to use both at the right time. Bench has shown he can be an effective QB when we are down by more than 2 scores in the 4th quarter. that's when i said he should play.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

LOL... everyone griped and moaned that Taggart needed to settle on a QB.  In year three he did... now everyone wants him to change because it's not the guy they like.  Like they know more than the coaching staff.  I find that hilarious. 

:GoBulls:  :iconic_u_black:  :icon_drink:  :facepalm:

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Lets look at Bench's last 5 games for all those claiming he is an INT machine:

Vs |CMP | ATT | YDS | CMP% | TD | INT | RAT

Cin 14 | 9 | 14 | 147 | 64.3 | 2 | 0 | 199.6

Hou 14 | 12 | 25 | 147 | 48.0 | 0 | 1 | 89.4

Mem 14 | 6 | 11 | 57 | 54.5 | 1 | 0 | 128.1

UCF 14 | 7 | 13 | 88 | 53.8 | 0 | 0 | 110.7

FAM 15 | 8 | 10 | 140 | 80.0 | 1 | 0 | 230.6

AVG CMP%: 60.12

TD/INT : 4/1

AVG QB Rating: 151.68

These numbers are without getting full first team reps. Even in the game where SB started he had to split reps with a hurt MW. Bench is a passer. Unlike BJ, Matt and Quinton, he needs to develop a rhythm and gel with the receivers b/c he is not going to scramble around and make a sandlot play. The timing and routes have to be there and that only happens with getting the reps in.

I agree that using a 5-game subset, a good portion from garbage time, doesn't lead to a great comparison.

But you need to at least be honest in your comparison and compare apples-to-apples:

• In the last 5 games in which he has played, Flowers has had a 55% competion pct, and 4 TDs to 2 INTs.
  • He has 29 rushes averaging 21.5 yds per rush.
  • (Bench has 15 rushes for an average of -.25 yds per rush in his last 5.)

Lol would you prefer I use the last three games? Then I will really get hammered for being skewed. 

IMO I am being objective...I am not saying anything more than those are his numbers and he is able to execute in game situations... those arguing against are adding everything else that is subjective. If I were to go down that road, I would argue that the entire game against FAMU was garbage time...lol. Then all you really have are terrible numbers for QF...but that is not my style man ;)

Flowers in his 3rd start on the road against #10 FSU had a higher passer rating  than Bench had against FAU, Miami, UofL,Maryland,Houston and UCF.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

QF until we know its time not to go with QF

Lets see what he can do against average competition..

• Topic Count:  121
  • Content Count:  4,259
  • Days Won:  3

LOL... everyone griped and moaned that Taggart needed to settle on a QB.  In year three he did... now everyone wants him to change because it's not the guy they like.  Like they know more than the coaching staff.  I find that hilarious. 

LIKE has nothing to do with it, only winning.  If your starting QB can't win winnable games, he should be replaced.  Anyone who says FSU wasn't winnable is giving them far too much credit.

LIKE has nothing to do with it, only winning.  If your starting QB can't win winnable games, he should be replaced.  Anyone who says FSU wasn't winnable is giving them far too much credit.

That would be Bench.  Correct me if I'm wrong but Bench has lost every start he's started...  Also against FSU, Bench would have gotten raped.  Those plays where Flowers was scrambling around, Bench would have been sacked.  And no doubt in my mind he would have thrown more than 2 picks if he'd started.  When he's under pressure, he cracks like a frail egg.  If you have not noticed that, you really don't no crap about football.  Bench is not good and is where?  On the bench.

Edited by Calibull

and it has everything to do with who you like... because stats aren't with you and his performance doesn't support your argument. 

• Topic Count:  128
  • Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Unfortunately I can't say the same...at least in this thread I have mostly seen people asking to see Bench making mostly logical arguements while the QF as starter supporters have been making excuses...

Again I am not against QF playing or even starting next game, I am just not being dogmatic about it. It's not one or the other, one has skill set the other doesn't. Just play the QB that is best suited for us to win. If MD has a poor secondary, then we should be all calling for SB so we can take advantage of that matchup.

QF has started 3 games. we have won 2 of them. the one loss was to a top ten team on the road. no one is arguing he is a heisman contender.

no one is dogmatic. Bench has appeared in 14 games for us. He is 3-11. The wins were FAMU, Western Carolina (1-1 for 10 yards) and Cincy (1-1 for 7 yards). last year he would have ranked #106 in the country for passer ranking.

I have said that Bench should be put into the game if we are down by more than 2 TDs in the 4th quarter otherwise i believe flowers gives us a better chance. he doesn't get sacked as much , he takes care of the ball better, and is a better runner.

LOL...I am not sure you watched last season at all but if it were up to QF, the only win QF would have would be against FAMU. Now that IS what I call using number to support a foregone conclusion.

Also I believe most of us are not advocating QF not play just be used in the right situations. Conversely the other side is advocating SB not play at all...which seems more reasonable? I wonder....

Who has said that Bench shouldn't play? He should if we are forced into a passing situation dictated by game flow. otherwise it should be Flowers.

Those stats you want to look at for Bench were in garbage time. His only 2 good games were Cincy and maybe memphis. They came in the 4th quarter when we were down 27-3 against Cincy and 31-13 against memphis. 2 of those 3 TDs were the last drive of the game and were meaningless.

Garbage Time:

Listen...I am not arguing whether or not those came against good teams, bad teams, "non-garbage" or garbage time etc etc...I am saying he has tools that QF does not, which is being able to execute most throws we need from a QB which is an argument to use SB and are not meaningless. 

A 47% career completion percentage would disagree with this assessment.  

Yes, how dare they give credit to a team who's 29-1 over their last 30 games, currently ranked 9th in the nation, with arguably the best RB in the nation, in a game they were favored by 28.5 pts in their own house.  I mean if our sophomore starting QB in his 3rd start ever is incapable of leading this team to the 35+ points that would have been needed to beat the 9th ranked team in the nation on the road, then how can anyone rationally not reach the conclusion that we absolutely need to put in our senior career backup QB, with an impressive 47% completion percentage in his career who has heroically lead his team to a 1-9 record in games he had more than 10 pass attempts in.

I mean how can anyone logically and objectively not reach that conclusion...

italian-baby-meme-generator-amirite-or-a

Edited by Bullshiznitz
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

Garbage Time:

you haven't watched much USF football if you really believe he has the right tools.

QF is a better runner than Bench is a passer.

Bench would have been ranked #106 passer last year. that includes 4 of the games you cited 2 of which were garbage time with 2 final drives that resulted in TDs.

the other 2 he was rated lower than Flowers was against FSU.

and yes i do want to use both at the right time. Bench has shown he can be an effective QB when we are down by more than 2 scores in the 4th quarter. that's when i said he should play.

Not sure if your not taking the time to read or if you like arguing, but I am tapping out of this conversation...

Go Bulls.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

A 47% career completion percentage would disagree with this assessment.  

Again all I am concerned with at this point is what his recent history says and who is the right QB for the situation. Its clear that both players have some skills the other doesn't. If we need to pass the ball to win the game, and you truly think QF is better than SB, then all we can do is disagree.