• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Start Bench

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  88
  • Days Won:  0

We don't have a deep threat passing game with QF at QB.   Only 1 completion to a WR on Saturday.    Our passing game is to check down to a running back or have QF take off running.    His week 2 QB rating ranked 113 out of 125 FBS QB's.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

We don't have a deep threat passing game with QF at QB.   Only 1 completion to a WR on Saturday.    Our passing game is to check down to a running back or have QF take off running.    His week 2 QB rating ranked 113 out of 125 FBS QB's.

his rating was 112.9 against FSU.

last year Bench's rating was 106.2. he had a lower rating against Maryland, Houston and UCF than Flowers did vs FSU.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

Bench vs Maryland last year 36 attempts 14 completions 162 yds 0 tds 1 int , 5 carries 9 yds 1 TD

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

QF starting is clear proof that Steven Bench does not improve USF's chances of winning in the eyes of several coaches who are around football 40+ hours a week.

There is only one coach making that decision. That was clear the last two years, it hasn't changed this year.

This

Please refer to quotes from the coaches per Joey knight' tweets and articles

I understand CWT makes the final decision, but he receives input and is involved in discussion with Reaves, Hope, Kinnan and several others when it has to be made.

And lets be clear, CWT is not alone in thinking QF should be the starter. This is the opinion of the entire coaching staff. 

LOL.  No.

For all you Bench supporters, I just have one question for you.  Now answer this TRUTHFULLY now.  In your heart of hearts, do you honestly believe that Bench would have made something out that mad scramble where Flowers threw a TD to Johnson.  And the answer to that is an obvious NO.  He would have either been sacked, or had to throw it away.  And that, my friends is why Flowers is our QB.  Flowers will get the job done, and make you all eat crow.  Flowers is flat out better than Bench.  Flowers has the heart of a lion.  He has been through everything in his life, and his teammates would run through a brick wall for him.  Flowers is a champion for just surviving this long.  Flowers will get the job done...wait and see. 

First off, yes.  That wasn't some incredible scramble, Johnson was so wide open and Bench isn't stiff as board out there, he can scramble also.

Second, who cares?  QF making one positive play does not make up for the half dozen wide open receivers he missed completely.  Those convert to first downs instead of punts, keeping FSU off the field and that makes a much bigger difference in the game.

• Upvote 1

While I have done this in the past, with all the newer TBP'ers and many older I respect, I would like to clarify why I want to see Bench.

First off I don't care what Bench did in 2013, I want the QB that will put us in the best position to win NOW.

Lets look at Bench's last 5 games for all those claiming he is an INT machine:

Vs         |CMP | ATT | YDS | CMP% |  TD  |  INT  | RAT

Cin 14   |   9   |   14  | 147  |   64.3  |    2  |      0  |   199.6

Hou 14  |  12  |    25 |  147 |   48.0  |    0   |     1  |    89.4

Mem 14 |   6   |    11 |  57   |   54.5  |   1   |      0  |    128.1

UCF 14 |   7   |    13 |  88   |    53.8 |   0    |     0  |    110.7  

FAM 15 |   8   |    10 |  140 |    80.0  |   1   |     0  |    230.6

AVG CMP%:       60.12

TD/INT       :   4/1

AVG QB Rating:  151.68     

These numbers are without getting full first team reps. Even in the game where SB started he had to split reps with a hurt MW. Bench is a passer. Unlike BJ, Matt and Quinton, he needs to develop a rhythm and gel with the receivers b/c he is not going to scramble around and make a sandlot play. The timing and routes have to be there and that only happens with getting the reps in. 

As far as his legs go, SB will not be able to extend plays like QF can, he is not as dynamic. I haven't seen a single person claim that. He will be sacked more than QF, but I would argue he will also have more completed passes and make throws he cannot atm. I would also rather him take a sack or throw it away then throw a pick. He is also not a stick in the mud either. He has the wheels to pick up a first down and TD and with the RB's we have THAT IS ALL WE NEED. We don't need the QB to be another RB in this system. It is far more important for the QB to be able to toss the rock and keep D's honest. We saw lots of two back option against FSU and I love that look with the talent we have for both QF and SB.

Now lets move onto the FAMU game where people are discrediting what SB did. Listen I am pulling for QF and I think he will continue to develop, hopefully into what we need. But lets be honest, SB can toss the rock better. The throws he made against FAMU where on point and QF hasn't shown anything to prove he can make those throws. You can say all you want about FAMU's D, it was gassed, they are no good etc etc but he put the ball on the money over the middle, down the sidelines, short and deep. He Executed the Play! He can make ALL the throws, and at this moment, IMO QF can't.

Finally, look at the numbers above. If we can get this kind of production from the QB we will go bowling for sure! The TD to INT ratio should end any notion that he is a turn over machine. Further that avg passer rating for the last 5 games would put SB currently in the top 40 QBs of 2015. Those of us asking to "SEE" SB I believe are fully justified. Bringing in SB sometime in the 3rd against FSU, was the right move in my opinion. It's not that QF played bad, he is just not that type of QB atm. He doesn't have the tools right now to sling the ball to bring us back when we are down. If anything can be said for SB its that he has proven to be able to come into a game in the 2nd half and do well. 

Don't start using logic and facts.  They don't like that.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

For all you Bench supporters, I just have one question for you.  Now answer this TRUTHFULLY now.  In your heart of hearts, do you honestly believe that Bench would have made something out that mad scramble where Flowers threw a TD to Johnson.  And the answer to that is an obvious NO.  He would have either been sacked, or had to throw it away.  And that, my friends is why Flowers is our QB.  Flowers will get the job done, and make you all eat crow.  Flowers is flat out better than Bench.  Flowers has the heart of a lion.  He has been through everything in his life, and his teammates would run through a brick wall for him.  Flowers is a champion for just surviving this long.  Flowers will get the job done...wait and see. 

First off, yes.  That wasn't some incredible scramble, Johnson was so wide open and Bench isn't stiff as board out there, he can scramble also.

Second, who cares?  QF making one positive play does not make up for the half dozen wide open receivers he missed completely.  Those convert to first downs instead of punts, keeping FSU off the field and that makes a much bigger difference in the game.

yeah because we all know how accurate Bench is...............

Bench is sacked once for every 10 pass attempts on average in his USF career.

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,850
  • Days Won:  22

While I have done this in the past, with all the newer TBP'ers and many older I respect, I would like to clarify why I want to see Bench.

First off I don't care what Bench did in 2013, I want the QB that will put us in the best position to win NOW.

Lets look at Bench's last 5 games for all those claiming he is an INT machine:

Vs         |CMP | ATT | YDS | CMP% |  TD  |  INT  | RAT

Cin 14   |   9   |   14  | 147  |   64.3  |    2  |      0  |   199.6

Hou 14  |  12  |    25 |  147 |   48.0  |    0   |     1  |    89.4

Mem 14 |   6   |    11 |  57   |   54.5  |   1   |      0  |    128.1

UCF 14 |   7   |    13 |  88   |    53.8 |   0    |     0  |    110.7  

FAM 15 |   8   |    10 |  140 |    80.0  |   1   |     0  |    230.6

AVG CMP%:       60.12

TD/INT       :   4/1

AVG QB Rating:  151.68     

These numbers are without getting full first team reps. Even in the game where SB started he had to split reps with a hurt MW. Bench is a passer. Unlike BJ, Matt and Quinton, he needs to develop a rhythm and gel with the receivers b/c he is not going to scramble around and make a sandlot play. The timing and routes have to be there and that only happens with getting the reps in. 

As far as his legs go, SB will not be able to extend plays like QF can, he is not as dynamic. I haven't seen a single person claim that. He will be sacked more than QF, but I would argue he will also have more completed passes and make throws he cannot atm. I would also rather him take a sack or throw it away then throw a pick. He is also not a stick in the mud either. He has the wheels to pick up a first down and TD and with the RB's we have THAT IS ALL WE NEED. We don't need the QB to be another RB in this system. It is far more important for the QB to be able to toss the rock and keep D's honest. We saw lots of two back option against FSU and I love that look with the talent we have for both QF and SB.

Now lets move onto the FAMU game where people are discrediting what SB did. Listen I am pulling for QF and I think he will continue to develop, hopefully into what we need. But lets be honest, SB can toss the rock better. The throws he made against FAMU where on point and QF hasn't shown anything to prove he can make those throws. You can say all you want about FAMU's D, it was gassed, they are no good etc etc but he put the ball on the money over the middle, down the sidelines, short and deep. He Executed the Play! He can make ALL the throws, and at this moment, IMO QF can't.

Finally, look at the numbers above. If we can get this kind of production from the QB we will go bowling for sure! The TD to INT ratio should end any notion that he is a turn over machine. Further that avg passer rating for the last 5 games would put SB currently in the top 40 QBs of 2015. Those of us asking to "SEE" SB I believe are fully justified. Bringing in SB sometime in the 3rd against FSU, was the right move in my opinion. It's not that QF played bad, he is just not that type of QB atm. He doesn't have the tools right now to sling the ball to bring us back when we are down. If anything can be said for SB its that he has proven to be able to come into a game in the 2nd half and do well.

Don't start using logic and facts.  They don't like that.

I noticed those facts did not include his stats vs Maryland last year

yeah because we all know how accurate Bench is...............

Bench is sacked once for every 10 pass attempts on average in his USF career.

60% completion percentage over his last five games.

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

We really need to play both to keep the defense guessing since with flowers defenses will start to make him beat them with his arm and with bench defenses will make him beat them with his legs. We'd be better to play both and make the defense have to constantly guess