• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Harlan: Big year for team, Taggart

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Maybe now the clowns on this board will realize that Harlan is not making hires for Taggs staff. lol

No one ever said that.  

But it is clear that Harlan had input on the kinds of changes that needed to happen.

I also had some thoughts because I’ve been around the game for many years. We agreed that critical changes needed to be made. ... The thing I really appreciate about Willie is his ability to listen and learn. 

I ALSO HAD SOME THOUGHTS

THE THING I APPRECIATE ABOUT WILLIE IS HIS ABILITY TO LISTEN AND LEARN

And some say Harlan didn't tell him to change the offense.  Right.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,703
  • Days Won:  108

This was a tough question:

Q: How did the program go from a No. 2 national ranking and solid attendance in 2007 to where it is now?

A: I wasn’t here, so it would be unreasonable for me to speculate. But I can tell you the nature of college football has its ups and downs. Any program, outside of a handful, has had dips. I like to look at how fast this program (entering its 19th season) has come up in such a short time, how many bowl games it has been to, how many great moments it has had. Look, we know we can do it. The great challenge, the thing that energizes me every day, is the opportunity we have to do that again. But make no mistake. We want to create the great program, not just the great season or the great game.

Nearly impossible for him to answer, but he loses points with me on the old nature of the game, ups and downs. Nonsense - it was a manmade disaster. Unfortunately, he can't say that.

Or he could have said we lost the next 3 in conference games and it hasn't been the same since.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Maybe now the clowns on this board will realize that Harlan is not making hires for Taggs staff. lol

So you think Harlan is a liar .... "I didn’t come in and mandate anything."

So you think Harlan is a liar when he says he has experience with football and he shared some "thoughts" that Taggart "listened to"?

It's all semantics.  Of course he didn't draw up a playbook.  But he is clearly stating that last year's offense was boring and loserville, and we will have a more effective and exciting offense one way or the other.

What do you think he meant by "I also had some thoughts because I've been around the game many years."

Do you think he was referring to cheerleader routines?  Or maybe the flavor of Gatorade given to the players?  

Do you need Harlan to draw a picture?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Q: How did the program go from a No. 2 national ranking and solid attendance in 2007 to where it is now?

A: I wasn’t here, so it would be unreasonable for me to speculate. But I can tell you the nature of college football has its ups and downs. Any program, outside of a handful, has had dips. I like to look at how fast this program (entering its 19th season) has come up in such a short time, how many bowl games it has been to, how many great moments it has had. Look, we know we can do it. The great challenge, the thing that energizes me every day, is the opportunity we have to do that again. But make no mistake. We want to create the great program, not just the great season or the great game.

Nearly impossible for him to answer, but he loses points with me on the old nature of the game, ups and downs. Nonsense - it was a manmade disaster. Unfortunately, he can't say that.

Or he could have said we lost the next 3 in conference games and it hasn't been the same since.

Yes, except that too wouldn't really answer the question truthfully.

So you think Harlan is a liar when he says he has experience with football and he shared some "thoughts" that Taggart "listened to"?

Just the opposite, I believe that's exactly what happened. You conveniently left out the preceding sentence from Harlan, "He had some real thoughts about what he wanted to do." They sat down and shared some thoughts about this year and Taggart went out and did what he ultimately thought needed to be done to save his job, without Harlan mandating him to do anything specific. How you can say that Harlan was "clearly stating that last year's offense was boring and loserville" based on that conversation is totally mind numbing. Was Harlan happy with our defense?

BTW, I've imposed on myself a 2 response limit to this kind of stuff to help the feng shui of the board ... so knock yourself out.

Yes, except that too wouldn't really answer the question truthfully.

Isn't truth in the eye of the beholder, so that could be CR's truth while manmade disaster is yours?

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

I'll offer an observation on Harlan mentioning he didn't mandate anything.

I think he was trying to contrast his management style from Doug Woolard's.

I had heard many times that when Doug was thinking about making a head coaching change, the coach would get a specific goal to keep their job with one season to complete that goal. The goal was often make the NCAA's.

I want to mention, Doug never did this in football, because Leavitt was let go for reasons that weren't about winning, and Skip was never on the hot seat in that they extended him before his last season, so you have never had a win mandate at the same time you signed an extension.

Just the opposite, I believe that's exactly what happened. You conveniently left out the preceding sentence from Harlan, "He had some real thoughts about what he wanted to do." They sat down and shared some thoughts about this year and Taggart went out and did what he ultimately thought needed to be done to save his job, without Harlan mandating him to do anything specific. How you can say that Harlan was "clearly stating that last year's offense was boring and loserville" based on that conversation is totally mind numbing. Was Harlan happy with our defense?

BTW, I've imposed on myself a 2 response limit to this kind of stuff to help the feng shui of the board ... so knock yourself out.

You are playing semantic games, just like Harlan.  He did not mandate specifics.  Harlan "suggested" changes, and Taggart was smart enough to make changes along those lines so he wouldn't be fired.  

Play all the semantic games you want, if Harlan wasn't here the offense would not have changed one iota.  Taggart talked long enough about how the offense was great it was the execution that needed to improve.  Then, after a conversation with Harlan he all of a sudden changes his entire life philosophy on football without being strongly pushed in that direction?

Seriously, what you are suggesting is preposterous.

But you know that, so knock yourself out.

• Topic Count:  78
  • Content Count:  1,978
  • Days Won:  7

And some say Harlan didn't tell him to change the offense. Right.

You are playing semantic games, just like Harlan. He did not mandate specifics. Harlan "suggested" changes, and Taggart was smart enough to make changes along those lines so he wouldn't be fired.

Play all the semantic games you want, if Harlan wasn't here the offense would not have changed one iota. Taggart talked long enough about how the offense was great it was the execution that needed to improve. Then, after a conversation with Harlan he all of a sudden changes his entire life philosophy on football without being strongly pushed in that direction?

Seriously, what you are suggesting is preposterous.

But you know that, so knock yourself out.

You make it sound as though CWT doesnt have thoughts of his own...here is a scenerio for ya...

CWT is at home watching the post season like everyone else because his team sucks again. He start watching the Ducks play and sees they have success running the ball out of the spread. He goes back and watches some film when they went hurry up and spread out the O a bit and had success. He thinks back to when he ran the spread in FL with coach K and reaches out. It's that entirely implausible??

If I had to guess I would say Harlan had more of a hand in helping make managerial decisions such as getting rid of some folks on the D. In fact CWT made note of the coaches today and how they were excited to be here and not bored. I am sure at the time he struggled on whether or not to get rid of Bres, I could see Harlan saying "does he want to be here? Does he want to win as bad as you do?" For Bres and LB coach (forget his name atm) it s easy to see how they could think this was a step down and werent all in like CWT. Its also easy to see Harlan say: "dont worry about losing what you have think about what you can gain...I have been doing this for a long time and we will get guys here that are capable and want it just as bad as you do. I will make sure you get the supporting staff you need." And look how.he brought in coach K. In my mind that is more realistic role for an AD. Just my 2 cents.