• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Former Bulls basketball coach Heath hired as assistant coach at BC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,700
  • Days Won:  7

I always liked Stan, IMO his major failing was recruiting.

His major strength was knowing what he had and designing around his players (exact opposite of CWT)

His slowdown offense was boring, but it played to the strengths of the athletes he had.

Unlike in football (even under CJL) we were competitive in the Big East - the toughest league that ever was or ever will be in college ball.

Competitive in the Big East? When? That one season or two? Each year we'd win a few games against OOC garbage and then get dominated by the real talent of the Big East. Our best BE season we were 12-6, second best 9-9 and every other season no better than 4 wins against each season's other BE bottom feeders. Stan was 34-74 (winning percentage of .315) in the Big East in 6 seasons and then 3-15 in 1 season in the American. Since when is that competitive? He had an overall losing record at USF after 7 seasons of 97-129. I think you all are just getting too old and can't remember. Take a look at the statistics to have an objective reminder. He wasn't a good coach. Even when he was awarded Coach of the Year, it was simply because the traditional bottom feeder had a better than average season in a down Big East Conference. Go back and look at the 2011-2012 Big East standings, you will see what I mean. Go Bulls, not Go Stan! Edited by USFBulls12

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

I always liked Stan, IMO his major failing was recruiting.

He recruited just fine at Arkansas and pulled in the highest rated class ever here after finally getting facilities a coach could actually show off ... Will never know if he could continue to build off that but he should have gotten more than one year with that class, IMO.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Good Luck Coach. I am not sure why he is so disrespected here. The man brought USF the most successful season in School history.

When a Hall of Fame level coach has a few bad seasons throughout a career, he can still be considered a great coach. Just the same, when a bad coach has a few successful seasons but mostly bad, it does not make him a good coach. Coach Heath never BUILT any thing here. I still give our success to on-floor Coach Ron Anderson Jr for LEADING the team to victories like CSH never did through passion and hardwork. It was Ron's character that made that team think they were better than they were. Plus, AC was new and fresh and hadn't been figured out yet. I will never give CSH credit for getting to the tournament and winning our play-in game vs Cal.

You can't be serious

Pretty sure he is .... but also pretty sure he was the one predicting 20 wins and an NCAA appearance last season ..... smh, kids these days.

• Topic Count:  63
  • Content Count:  3,700
  • Days Won:  7

Good Luck Coach. I am not sure why he is so disrespected here. The man brought USF the most successful season in School history.

When a Hall of Fame level coach has a few bad seasons throughout a career, he can still be considered a great coach. Just the same, when a bad coach has a few successful seasons but mostly bad, it does not make him a good coach. Coach Heath never BUILT any thing here. I still give our success to on-floor Coach Ron Anderson Jr for LEADING the team to victories like CSH never did through passion and hardwork. It was Ron's character that made that team think they were better than they were. Plus, AC was new and fresh and hadn't been figured out yet. I will never give CSH credit for getting to the tournament and winning our play-in game vs Cal.

You can't be serious

Pretty sure he is .... but also pretty sure he was the one predicting 20 wins and an NCAA appearance last season ..... smh, kids these days.

Couldn't have predicted the loss of Perry, the fact that AC still sucked while being healthy, and the true loss of the Big man to Florida. Who knew that Cousins would play at the level of an uncoordinated 9th grade 7 footer for the entire season?? The team underperformed after that showing in NC vs NC State. I think Antigua knew he had nothing with what he inherited. Season ended up as basically a year of experience and practice for the returning players so he knows what he has to build on going into this season.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

You can't be serious

lol I forgot this was the same guy. That was laughable at the time. I remember calling him out. Some people will never understand how hard it was to win in the Big East. Did Stan have his faults sure. To say that he had nothing to do with the success of that NCAAT team is the DUMBEST thing I have ever read on this board.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

No offense, but a software engineer is not an engineer.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Uh, tragically idiotic statement. I know software engineers that know more about "hard" materials than you or anyone you have ever known does. It's a very interdisciplinary field. You know those 'engineers' architecting buildings that do it all by hand? Me neither. They're using CAD developed by software engineers with a deep understanding of the physical world. Know how the Wright Brothers are cranking out airplanes still? Me neither. Boeing uses sophisticated software developed by software engineers who know the physics of plane building. Tell me I'm not an engineer when you can't tell me the first thing going wrong with my Tesla and I hook up a PC to interact with the sub components that run the entire thing.

Wikipedia defines engineering as the application of "scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes that safely realize improvements to the lives of people." The end result of software engineering is a software system that can safely improve the lives of people, and it can involve some combination of scientific, mathematical, economic, social, or practical knowledge.

Do you have the faintest clue how the MAGIC of software engineering turns the utter chaos spewed out by your wireless router into the words you're reading right now even works? That's not engineering? WTF?

Edited by The Great 8
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

well said   :applause::guinness:

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

applause, spot on Great 8. I'm a graduate of the college of Engineering, not the college of typing code. I used the knowledge from my engineering classes far more when I actually coded than now as a systems engineer. In fact, I've had to be more inter-disciplinary in software engineering than systems engineering, lol.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,619
  • Days Won:  51

Uh, tragically idiotic statement. I know software engineers that know more about "hard" materials than you or anyone you have ever known does. It's a very interdisciplinary field. You know those 'engineers' architecting buildings that do it all by hand? Me neither. They're using CAD developed by software engineers with a deep understanding of the physical world. Know how the Wright Brothers are cranking out airplanes still? Me neither. Boeing uses sophisticated software developed by software engineers who know the physics of plane building. Tell me I'm not an engineer when you can't tell me the first thing going wrong with my Tesla and I hook up a PC to interact with the sub components that run the entire thing.

Wikipedia defines engineering as the application of "scientific, mathematical, economic, social, and practical knowledge, in order to design and build structures, machines, devices, systems, materials and processes that safely realize improvements to the lives of people." The end result of software engineering is a software system that can safely improve the lives of people, and it can involve some combination of scientific, mathematical, economic, social, or practical knowledge.

Do you have the faintest clue how the MAGIC of software engineering turns the utter chaos spewed out by your wireless router into the words you're reading right now even works? That's not engineering? WTF?

You sound Butthurt to me. It's the innerwebz, not real worldz