• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Quinton's 2017 numbers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

21 hours ago, Bull Dozer said:

Great analysis.  

I too think some here will be surprised by how much Flowers continues to run this season.   He's too much of a weapon with his legs for us to drastically reduce his touches running the football.  If Sterling Gilbert is as bright of an offensive mind as he's made out to be he will continue to give defenses a healthy dose of Flowers running the football. 

I don't think it's a stretch at all to think QF will run as much or more than last year. Without MM in the backfield, Q is likely our best runner for explosiveness--that's what you need to chew up some of those 5-7 yard runs, find the hole and blow through it. He's patient, and then he's gone. Looking forward to more of that this year!

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

On 6/15/2017 at 8:32 PM, Brad said:

snippetQF17.PNG

With the 18 rushing TDs in 2016, Flowers crushed the standing record of 25 career rushing TDs by a QB - BJ Daniels (2008-12)

RB Marlon Mack has the overall career record with 32 rushing TDs (2014-16).

While Flowers holds the record for most passing TDs in a season, he still trails Marquel Blackwell's 67 career passing TDs (1999-2002)

The season passing yards record was nearly eclipsed last season with QF's 2,812, falling just short of Matt Grothe's 2,911 (2008).  

It's early, but any speculation on what QF's numbers will be for the yellow highlighted areas?  Will he pass Blackwell's mark? Break Grothe's record?

Do you expect an uptick in rushing or passing TDs?

I say uptick in passing yards and passing TDs just because he'll be throwing it more.  I think we'll see a decline in rushing yards and rushing TDs....  I think he'll pass for around 3,500 yards with 36 TDs.  I think he'll rush for 700 or 800 yards with 14 TDs.   

• Topic Count:  160
  • Content Count:  1,378
  • Days Won:  1

The sad thing is we should have him for the following season as well had cwt knew what he was doing.  Stupid decision to play qf his freshman year without fully committing to him being the qb.

Edited by bullman3
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

I'm sure you'll get some push back on that comment, but as I was compiling those stats I was :nope:

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

25 minutes ago, bullman3 said:

The sad thing is we should have him for the following season as well had cwt knew what he was doing.  Stupid decision to play qf his freshman year without fully committing to him being the qb.

16 minutes ago, Brad said:

I'm sure you'll get some push back on that comment, but as I was compiling those stats I was :nope:

Hindsight's always 20/20 ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  106
  • Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

On 6/16/2017 at 10:58 AM, Breedwell said:

I think one of the reason Strong's QB's last season didn't run for as many yards is because their yards per carry was terrible. Swoopes and Buechele had 151 carries between them, so its not like Texas didn't hand them the ball (Flowers ran 47 more carries, with 21 of those coming in our 13th game. So in 12 games he only had 26 more carries, or a little more than 2 per game).  Swoopes had 54 carries for a paltry 3.2 YPC. Buechele was even worse, 71 carries for 1.6 YPC. So neither were really reliable, that's 2.4 YPC! 

You hand Flowers the ball on a running play, on average he gets you 2nd and short or third and short. Hand the other two the ball, now you're in 2nd or 3rd and long, suddenly you have to pass the ball 7+ yards on third down or whatever. 

And speaking of third down. Texas' overall 3DC% was 36.08%.  It was 40%+ in the first couple of months of play, but by November they were only converting 3rd Down 26.47%. 

USF'S last year? 44.21%. In October, we had a 50.65 3PC%. So much more effective on 3rd down.   

I say all of this to say, some of the replies so far have had Flowers throwing more and running less. I actually think he gets back up into the 14-1500's in total rushing yards. I would expect his workload to compare to last year's, but he'll have a lot more success than Texas had with their QBs.

Yeah this analysis is somewhat flawed.

Buechele was sacked 31 times last year. That is pretty terrible. Without going through every play he was probably closer to 4-4.5 yards per carry. So the real starting QB had somewhere between 60-70 designed runs give or take.

Calling Swoops a QB is akin to calling Flowers one in his freshman year. Swoops threw 9 passes last season. He was essentially a short yardage back. I DONT want Flowers on QB dives every 3rd and short.

If Flowers is north of 150 carries this year its because the O-line is a complete failure and he is running for his life, or the passing game takes 10 steps back with accuracy and drops.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

19 hours ago, Capital H said:

Buechele was sacked 31 times last year. That is pretty terrible. Without going through every play he was probably closer to 4-4.5 yards per carry. So the real starting QB had somewhere between 60-70 designed runs give or take.

Calling Swoops a QB is akin to calling Flowers one in his freshman year. Swoops threw 9 passes last season. He was essentially a short yardage back. I DONT want Flowers on QB dives every 3rd and short.

If Flowers is north of 150 carries this year its because the O-line is a complete failure and he is running for his life, or the passing game takes 10 steps back with accuracy and drops.

The only reason I see calling #9 on a third and short is to exploit a short yardage defense for a huge gain; otherwise that's been Tice's bread and butter. Apparently Mack 2.0 is tough between the tackles, too. Have a lot of options to play with. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

19 hours ago, Capital H said:

I Think he will be right around 150-160 carries.  He's too explosive to not use in the scope of the offense, especially while trying to replace the splash play ability of Mack and Adams.  A concerted effort to take his running ability out of our offense would be extremely foolish.....

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,011
  • Days Won:  2

I don't care what we do as long as he stays healthy.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

I think rushing will go down but passing will make up for it