• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Licensing question

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

10 hours ago, Ionbull said:

So if I wanted to make and paint USF corn hole boards with the iconic U and sell it on etsy, I'd have to do that? I get merchandisers;  just strange that arts festival hobbyists are treated the same, but I suppose it's reassuring the brand doesn't get tarnished in some way.

Sell the boards you create at a higher a gross margin then work out a commission or a click/direct fee to a site that is selling the iconic U sticker. This lowers your cost of acquisition and you avoid licensing fees.  Allow the end user to purchase the sticker and place it on themselves.

Edited by Skingraft

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

So USF, unlike a hundred other universities, thinks that few dollars is better than the free advertisement?  

So, where do you draw the line at protecting one's trademark?  It's not about a few dollars, it's about a brand.

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

39 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Respectfully, I think a lot of times people post with emotion and know a percentage of the facts but never consider what they don't know and how it might impact reality. 

Not emotional at all. And while I obviously don't have all the facts, one fact is asking point blank why the vendor has so many schools but not USF. Something simply does not add up. And btw - EVERY school that I mentioned in my original post is on the client list of CLC. So, again, something just does not add up.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

Not emotional at all. And while I obviously don't have all the facts, one fact is asking point blank why the vendor has so many schools but not USF. Something simply does not add up. And btw - EVERY school that I mentioned in my original post is on the client list of CLC. So, again, something just does not add up.

Or the vendor didn't bother to get a USF license because they thought it wouldn't sell; that's on the vendor. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Don't know if some of you remember but at last year's Birmingham Bowl there was a cooler company that had a contest for box seats to the game for both USF and SC fans. I went over to their vendor site the night before the game (wanted to see if they had announced the winner for the tickets) to look at their coolers. They were designed with university logos and they had contracts with about 125 universities...including SC. I asked the owners where was the USF logo cooler and he said they did not get the rights and that the university had a ridiculous process (price) compared to other universities. It was kind of sad to see the SC cooler with the logo next to one with nothing on it. After his explanation I knew no one from USF was going to win those seats from the contest and they did not.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

1 hour ago, Ionbull said:

Or the vendor didn't bother to get a USF license because they thought it wouldn't sell; that's on the vendor. 

Whaaaaaaa? Be gone, heathen! Your rationality does not belong here. 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

2 hours ago, Ionbull said:

2 or 3 years ago, at the Strawberry fest, a few venders had items with college teams logos, including wind-chimes (i actually wonder if it was the same one BDYZR saw) 

I asked why they didn't have any, if they sold out, or if they just don't sell enough to carry them.

Every one told me that they wanted to sell USF ones but it was because the licenses were to hard/expensive to get.  Most (all?) told me that they get many requests for the items by the festival attendees (which makes sense since it's a local festival.)   None told me that it was because they didn't think it would sell. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,516
  • Days Won:  422

Too much smoke here, this is something USF may need to re-evaluate ...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,455
  • Days Won:  25

20 hours ago, Dogma said:

2 or 3 years ago, at the Strawberry fest, a few venders had items with college teams logos, including wind-chimes (i actually wonder if it was the same one BDYZR saw) 

I asked why they didn't have any, if they sold out, or if they just don't sell enough to carry them.

Every one told me that they wanted to sell USF ones but it was because the licenses were to hard/expensive to get.  Most (all?) told me that they get many requests for the items by the festival attendees (which makes sense since it's a local festival.)   None told me that it was because they didn't think it would sell. 

16 hours ago, Triple B said:

Too much smoke here, this is something USF may need to re-evaluate ...

Hence my original question. Why is it more difficult for USF than any other school?