• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Golf final rankings

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Good luck to Koepka and the two other USF players who made it to the final round. Finish Strong!

Chase Koepka’s steady third round gives him Sunnehanna lead - The Tribune-Democrat: Sports

John Rucosky

Sunnehanna Amateur | Chase Koepka

Chase Koepka watches his shot off the No. 8 tee during Friday’s play at the Sunnehanna Amateur Tournament for Champions. His third-round 66 vaulted him to the top of the leaderboard at 10 under entering Saturday’s final round.

Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 12:05 am

By Mike Mastovich

mmastovich@tribdem.com

Mike Mastovich

Posted on Jun 20, 2015

by Mike Mastovich

Chase Koepka didn’t find much excitement in his third round during the 62nd annual Sunnehanna Amateur

Tournament for Champions.

The leaderboard says otherwise.

Koepka shot a 4-under-par 66 thanks to a bogey-free round that put him at 10-under-par for the tournament.

The University of South Florida golfer holds a two-stroke lead over Derek Bard of University of Virginia and J.T. Poston of Western Carolina University entering Saturday’s final round, which begins at 8 a.m. as players will tee off on holes 1 and 10 at the par-70 Sunnehanna Country Club course.

“Very boring to be honest,†Koepka said of a round that included birdies on holes 1, 4, 8 and 11.

“I was hitting it really well off the tee and I wasn’t putting myself in too many bad spots.

“I two-putted great today. That bit me in the second round when I had three three-putts.

Today I didn’t have any. I didn’t hit anything too close but walking away with a bogey-free round, I’ll take it.â€

Koepka is from Atlantis, Florida, but has drawn plenty of local interest during his multiple appearances at Sunnehanna.

His uncle is **** Groat, the National League MVP during the Pittsburgh Pirates’ 1960 World Series run. Also a two-time All-American basketball player at Duke, Groat played in the NBA for the Fort Wayne Pistons and is the long-time owner of Champion Lakes Golf Club in Fairfield Township, Westmoreland County.

Koepka’s father, Robert, is a former Johnstown resident who is staying at Champion Lakes during the tournament.

http://www.tribdem.com/sports/chase-koepka-s-steady-third-round-gives-him-sunnehanna-lead/article_899ffde8-1701-11e5-abda-6baf173830a5.html

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Chase Koepka's steady third round gives him Sunnehanna lead

Chase Koepka didn't find much excitement in his third round during the 62nd annual Sunnehanna Amateur Tournament for Champions.

The leaderboard says otherwise.

Koepka shot a 4-under-par 66 thanks to a bogey-free round that put him at 10-under-par for the tournament.

The University of South Florida golfer holds a two-stroke lead over Derek Bard of University of Virginia and J.T. Poston of Western Carolina University entering Saturday"â„¢s final round, which begins at 8 a.m. as players will tee off on holes 1 and 10 at the par-70 Sunnehanna Country Club course.

Very boring to be honest," Koepka said of a round that included birdies on holes 1, 4, 8 and 11. I was hitting it really well off the tee and I wasn't putting myself in too many bad spots.

I two-putted great today. That bit me in the second round when I had three three-putts. Today I didn't have any. I didn't hit anything too close but walking away with a bogey-free round, I'll take it."

Koepka is from Atlantis, Florida, but has drawn plenty of local interest during his multiple appearances at Sunnehanna.

His uncle is **** Groat, the National League MVP during the Pittsburgh Pirates" 1960 World Series run. Also a two-time All-American basketball player at Duke, Groat played in the NBA for the Fort Wayne Pistons and is the long-time owner of Champion Lakes Golf Club in Fairfield Township, Westmoreland County.

Koepka"s father, Robert, is a former Johnstown resident who is staying at Champion Lakes during the tournament.

Chase"s mother, Denise Jakows, is a former WJAC-TV news anchor who worked at the Johnstown station from 1981-86.

"It"s nice being back up here, having both my mom and dad living here for a while," Koepka said. "My great uncle and part of my family own Champion Lakes. They"ll be out here (Saturday). It should be awesome. My dad was up here earlier in the week, and so was my uncle. I get a lot of family support."

His older brother Brooks is playing in the U.S. Open this weekend at Chambers Bay in Washington.

"Hopefully, he has a good round and gets it done this weekend," Koepka said of his brother. "He"s a pretty tough guy and he hits it long. You can"t take away a guy who hits it long."

Koepka leads a tight pack that includes 10 golfers within four shots of the lead.

After Koepka, Bard and Poston, the players tied for fourth at 7-under are: Michael Johnson of Auburn University; first-round leader Cody Proveaux of Clemson University; and Doug Ghim of University of Texas.

Tied for seventh at 6-under are: George Cunningham of University of Arizona; Tom Lovelady of Univeristy of Alabama; Scott Wolfes of Georgia Southern University; Claudio Correa of South Florida; and Hunter Stewart of Vanderbilt.

The 89-player field was cut to 52 after the third round.

Thirty-six players are under par for the tournament entering the final round. The cut was 2-over (212).

Another South Florida teammate, Rigel Fernandes, is among five golfers tied for 12th at 5-under. Fernandes shot 3-under 67 on Friday.

Koepka, Correa and Fernandes helped South Florida to its best season in school history this spring. The Bulls won the American Athletic Conference championship. All three are underclassmen.

Rest of report

All the USF players did very well.

Chase Koepka -10 T3

Rigel Fernandes -8 T6

Claudio Carrero -6 T13

They will all move up in the World Amateur Golf Rankings.

Meanwhile, two of our incoming players, from Sweden, played in the Swedish Open, a pro event, and did relatively well. They should have a significant impact for USF golf down the road.

Looking forward to a great next season.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

What was our final ranking?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I thought I heard #8

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

See page 1.

It really is strange that the College Coaches have not released their final rankings, since the NCAA championship was decided three weeks ago:

"Bushnell is the new sponsor of the GCAA coaches polls. The rankings will debut on Golfweek.com and be titled the Bushnell Golfweek Coaches poll.

The Bushnell Golfweek Coaches Polls will recognize the top 25 teams plus all programs receiving votes in Division I, Division II, Division III and the NAIA. NJCAA Division I and II rankings will include the top 10 and teams receiving votes. The first poll of the spring will debut on Feb. 20 with subsequent release dates on March 13, April 3 and April 24 with the final spring ranking on May 8. Final rankings will reflect results from each respective national championship."

We have a chance at being even better next year.

World Amateur Golf Rankings

Starting USF players coming back

Claudio Correa

61 WAGR Position

Rigel Fernandes

135 WAGR Position

Chase Koepka

174 WAGR Position

Incoming player

Oskar Bergqvist

200 WAGR Position

Outgoing players

Ryan Fricker

325 WAGR Position

Trey Valentine

326 WAGR Position

http://www.wagr.com/

I doubt there are many (if any) NCAA teams who will have four players starting out next year in the top 200 of the WAGR.

I expect their will be heavy competition among USF players to make it into the starting lineup.

Looking forward to  another great year in USF Men's Golf.

After their fine performance at the prestigious Sunnehanna  tourney, all three current USF players moved up considerably in the WAGR.

Claudio Correa #51

Chase Koepka #101

Rigel Fernandes #137

http://www.wagr.com/en/Men%20Events/Event%20detail.aspx?event=17480&ismens=True

Congrats!

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  1,166
  • Days Won:  3

Correa actually went down 10 spots and Fernandez went down 15 spots compared to last week. I'm scratching my head on this one. 

Correa actually went down 10 spots and Fernandez went down 15 spots compared to last week. I'm scratching my head on this one. 

I see what you mean, from looking at the top 150 rankings and their WAGR from the prior week. I also can't explain it. I'm sure many of the top amateur players also competed at the same time somewhere around the world, but considering their fine showing at an "A" listed tourney, it's difficult to imagine them losing ground in the rankings. At least Koepka moved 41 places according to them.

I presume they will be playing in more tourneys during the summer.

For those interested in following them, you might want to check in on USF Mens Golf twitter at the link below.

https://twitter.com/USFMensGolf