• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bulls Fall to Memphis, Await NCAA Selection Show

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Congrats BaseBulls!

VERY Happy to see this, and very surprised as well. To make the dance in the new coach's first year, and a rebuilding year at that, is shocking. Shocking, I say.

Guess Prado wasn't such a terrible recruiter after all...

Go Bulls!

Not terrible, but I think he underachieved. He swung for too many kids that wound up signing MLB contracts out of high school, and he relied too much on recruiting the local, private schools. Kingston has been a very pleasant surprise. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a team full of his recruits.

That's what I saw as his biggest problem

How dare he recruit players that end up being drafted.

:facepalm:

He was recruiting players that had a very good chance of getting drafted out of high school, meaning they had very little chance of ever making it to campus.  Baseball recruiting is a tough balance.  You recruit players that are good, but not too good.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

We are not talking about prospects selected in the first 5 rounds here.  Most of the Prado "misses" from what I understand were drafted in the mid to late rounds.  If you are not supposed to recruit those guys who are you supposed to recruit?

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Congrats BaseBulls!

VERY Happy to see this, and very surprised as well. To make the dance in the new coach's first year, and a rebuilding year at that, is shocking. Shocking, I say.

Guess Prado wasn't such a terrible recruiter after all...

Go Bulls!

Not terrible, but I think he underachieved. He swung for too many kids that wound up signing MLB contracts out of high school, and he relied too much on recruiting the local, private schools. Kingston has been a very pleasant surprise. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a team full of his recruits.

That's what I saw as his biggest problem

How dare he recruit players that end up being drafted.

Not a good move if you expend too much time and resources courting a kid that is very likely to go pro, rather than finding more diamonds-in-the-rough that could help your university team for a few seasons. It's a careful balance, which in my "backseat manager" opinion, Prado didn't do well on.

Edit: Apis looks like he "smelled what I was cooking." :D

Edited by Paisa el Toro

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,608
  • Days Won:  424

Lelo's teams here weren't horrible. Finishing in the top half of the conference 6 out of 8 years ... over .500 in conference 5 out of 8 years ... just weren't good enough to get to the NCAA's, probably because of overall talent. I think it's pretty hard to quantify that the personnel deficiencies were because he spent too much time chasing "pro" players. What you can quantify is that the first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years was done all with players brought in after the new complex was completed.

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Lelo's teams here weren't horrible. Finishing in the top half of the conference 6 out of 8 years ... over .500 in conference 5 out of 8 years ... just weren't good enough to get to the NCAA's, probably because of overall talent. I think it's pretty hard to quantify that the personnel deficiencies were because he spent too much time chasing "pro" players. What you can quantify is that the first trip to the NCAA's in 13 years was done all with players brought in after the new complex was completed.

So we need a football OCS right away...

Bingo! Play it in for 40 years, accomplishing little, then tear it down and build a new one and we'll be set ......

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

Bingo! Play it in for 40 years, accomplishing little, then tear it down and build a new one and we'll be set ......

Or, we can skip over all that bool sheet and just go right to winning Natty's!

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

LOL, this was my whole ironic point.

Kingston got to the dance with Prado's players, therefore Prado really DID have the talent.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

LOL, this was my whole ironic point.

Kingston got to the dance with Prado's players, therefore Prado really DID have the talent.

Flashbacks to Dungy/Gruden exchange... :mellow:

Or, we can skip over all that bool sheet and just go right to winning Natty's!

Are you not paying attention?? There's a formula established. You can't deviate from it. On campus facilities here, on their own, do not elevate the sports to their highest level. Look at softball ... Good for a long while but new facility, BOOM, WCWS.