• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nigel Harris Suspended...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I never understand this crap, nor could I, I guess. Why would anyone--especially one with promise--jeopardize the future? C'mon, Nigel, get it together.

Short memory?

Every generation says this about the generation that follows them. Kids will be kids, it's part of growing up.

It's probably the music, 'cause if it's too loud, you too old!

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

If he doesn't want his scholarship I'll take it. 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

I never understand this crap, nor could I, I guess. Why would anyone--especially one with promise--jeopardize the future? C'mon, Nigel, get it together.

Because these are 18-22 year old kids who haven't learned life lessons... and often they are surrounded by people who don't see the future they may have... peer pressure can be a strong influence.

I dunno, these guys have already seen tons of life lessons personally and in their peers who didn't use discretion. I'm talking primarily about upper-classmen that are considered leaders on the team and have already proven their talent on the field. If he can't see a future by the time he's a junior...lots of guys declare for the draft their junior year these days. Figuring out which lines not to cross should be second nature by this time. :soapbox:  that is all...

• Topic Count:  9,896
  • Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

weed gets players suspended?

ridiculous

ridiculous

...says the lawyer!? LOL, breaking the law shouldn't carry any school-related penalties?

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

ridiculous

...says the lawyer!? LOL, breaking the law shouldn't carry any school-related penalties?

was he arrested? does the school punish ordinary students the same way after giving them random drug tests? do all underage college drinkers get suspended for breaking the law?

I don't have any knowledge of why he was suspended but it is beyond stupid to randomly test athletes for non performance enhancing substances.

How many football factories get away with steriods,HGH and other perfomance enhancing drugs while college kids get suspended for something as dumb as smoking pot which studies show a large percentage do?

I have no idea what he was suspended for, but the thought of not having any scholarship/eligibility repercussions for breaking the law is just plain silly. The NCAA tends to agree:

15.3.4.2.4 Misconduct

An institution may cancel or reduce the financial aid of a student-athlete who is found to have engaged in misconduct by the university's regular student disciplinary authority, even if the loss-of-aid requirement does not apply to the student body in general. (Revised: 1/11/94)

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,459
  • Days Won:  25

It's funny that these conversations keep coming up. The same people with all the same reasons/excuses. This problem is EXTREMELY simple.

Mr./Ms. Student Athlete - These are the rules, comply and we'll pay for your education. Don't comply, and suffer what ever consequence we deem appropriate. No, we don't care if you agree.

Your CHOICE.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

ridiculous

was he arrested?

Don't know

Does the school punish ordinary students the same way after giving them random drug tests?

Students do not sign a contract requiring random drug test.  Student-athletes do.

But ALL students do sign a contract stating they will not take drugs or consume alcohol while a minor, or to provide to minors

do all underage college drinkers get suspended for breaking the law?

If caught, students can be suspended or expelled and possibly arrested:.

"The unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance or the unlawful possession and use of alcohol by an individual under 21 years of age is wrong, harmful, and prohibited in and on USF System owned or controlled property or as part of any of its activities.

The sale, use, or possession of a controlled substance will not be tolerated, with the exception of prescribed medication when taken in accordance with the prescription. Furthermore, providing alcohol to an individual younger than 21 years of age will not be tolerated. Any USF System employee or student determined to have violated this policy shall be subject to disciplinary action for misconduct-which may include termination/expulsion and referral for prosecution."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CB4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sa.usf.edu%2Fsrr%2Fdocs%2Fpolicy-30-023.pdf&ei=-H0ZVeX0MMKigwSx6oCIDA&usg=AFQjCNHcxz3Bkcc-JtKMNRzbXplawNV8wA&bvm=bv.89381419,d.eXY

I don't have any knowledge of why he was suspended but it is beyond stupid to randomly test athletes for non performance enhancing substances.

It's the rules and have been for a long time.  You know that I know that, and the student athletes know that.  They sign a contract as Student Athletes to abide by NCAA laws, including alcohol and controlled substance restrictions

How many football factories get away with steriods,HGH and other perfomance enhancing drugs while college kids get suspended for something as dumb as smoking pot which studies show a large percentage do?

Rules are rules, and it's up to the individual schools to enforce them.  If not, and the NCAA hears about it, then it becomes an even bigger issue.  How fair the NCAA punishes schools is another long topic, regardless it's practically guaranteed that the resulting punishment is more severe than just the simple suspension of 1 player

Edited by Dogma

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

I have no idea what he was suspended for, but the thought of not having any scholarship/eligibility repercussions for breaking the law is just plain silly. The NCAA tends to agree:

15.3.4.2.4 Misconduct

An institution may cancel or reduce the financial aid of a student-athlete who is found to have engaged in misconduct by the university's regular student disciplinary authority, even if the loss-of-aid requirement does not apply to the student body in general. (Revised: 1/11/94)

an institution may cancel or reduce the financial aid of a student/ athlete for not performing on the field of play. they can cancel with no reason at all.

let's not act like they don't hold all the cards regardless of their conduct policies.