• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

4-2-5 personnel problems

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  53
  • Content Count:  818
  • Days Won:  2

Now we have a log jam of talented players at LB. What do we do with Tashon Whitehurst, Jimmy Bayes and Josh Black?  Only two LBs on the field and we have a bunch of people from the DBs vying for the new safety spot. Ready Go!!!!

Let's see if one can throw the ball and move him to QB.  Imagine an athletic 6'5" 285lb QB. lol. 

Seriously.  the coaching staff needs to fit guys into the best position for their skillset.  If they can't move guys who currently play LB into other positions, they shouldn't be coaching.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Agree that Harris is the closest we have to a proven LB, but don't think he is anywhere close to the level of play that we are used to seeing at LB... huge drop off from what was always a strength position for us. 

Not impressed by Whitehurst, he lost his job to a true freshman and was riding the pine by year's end. 

I see a bright future at LB, and yeah we have a lot of bodies, but I'm not worried about having too many talented players until these kids actually prove something on the field.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

Now we have a log jam of talented players at LB. What do we do with Tashon Whitehurst, Jimmy Bayes and Josh Black?  Only two LBs on the field and we have a bunch of people from the DBs vying for the new safety spot. Ready Go!!!!

Let's see if one can throw the ball and move him to QB.  Imagine an athletic 6'5" 285lb QB. lol. 

Seriously.  the coaching staff needs to fit guys into the best position for their skillset.  If they can't move guys who currently play LB into other positions, they shouldn't be coaching.

Jared Lorenzen?

• Upvote 1

So in the 4-2-5 there are two positions that are almost like a hybrid role...

It's really more like a 3-3-5 with one of the OLs playing a DE-type role (like Cliett did this year in our 3-4)... So a larger LB can move forward to the 4 if he has the speed... it's almost like a 9-technique end.

Plus one of the 5 DBs is more like an LB/S in a nickel formation... I saw an interview posted somewhere where Allen talked about how the 5th DB plays a bit like an LB/S role depending on the offense - he might move up for run support, or blitz.  So a larger CB or S could step in here.

I think we have the players to fit a 4-2-5 scheme.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Bayes looks like he could be the LB/S hybrid

Bayes looks like he could be the LB/S hybrid

Seems like the trend for that husky position is to use a big DB... Bayes is a little on the large side for that position.  I'm pretty confident that they recruited Vaccaro-Dixon to fill that role, but might be a while before he's ready.  Godwin, maybe, this year?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

It would be nice to see then actually tackle. And not line up 8 yards off the receivers on 3rd and 7.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  3,222
  • Days Won:  8

Nigel Harris was a little small for a LB anyway, he'd be my guy(for husky), Vincent Jackson is your other guy who could be your hybrid DE as well.  Not sure if Allen is going to do that though.  If I was in charge I'd be looking at Mayes and Bronson on the outside DE spots and Calloway and Senat at the DT position.  You've gotta keep Nigel Harris on the field somewhere.  Jimmy Bayes is sure to be a true OLB IMO and somebody has got to replace Cliett who could really do it all.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  119
  • Days Won:  0

In terms of LBs, I can see Taggart starting the year with Harris/Sanchez or Harris/Whitehurst.  Harris deserves to be on the field.  Jackson/Black/Bayes could fill out the 2 deep and or play a hybrid role

I don't see Sanchez or Whitehurst winning that second spot. My money is on Black - got consistent playing time toward the end of the year and ended up starting final game of season.

Edited by WWMJD