• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

49ers to fire Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Sooner or later USF will have to make it's peace with Leavitt. 

Not saying hire him.  Just make peace.

why is that?

Because many people like to live in the past.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He should have no problems finding work. Man knows football.

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

One interesting way to do it would be to have him come back and coach one of the alum teams for an alum v. alum flag game during homecoming.

He would get a standing ovation as he came on the field, and all would be forgiven

And there would probably be a bigger crowd for that than there would be if they did it at one of the actual football games.

I meant during halftime of the actual homecoming football game, sorry for the confusion.

Oh, my bad. In that case, I disagree, I think it would be more respectful and meaningful to do it at a time and place when there would be people there to see it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

:roflmao:

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

why is that?

Speaking of living in the past (...or in what if's),

The 2014-15 season would have been the final year of the contract in place when Leavitt was fired (obviously unless further extensions were made).

...Just felt like sharing that.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

http://www.ninersnation.com/2015/1/15/7552747/49ers-release-ed-donatell-vic-fangio-jim-leavitt-from-contracts

I find myself disappointed in Jim Leavitt's departure, as he always seemed like quite the fiery personality on the sideline. Of course, as is the case with most position coaches, it is hard to figure out what his contribution was to things. He was previously a head coach at South Florida, so that likely provided experience he could use to better the linebackers, and the team as a whole. But even still, we don't know exactly what his role was. Of course, given the 49ers promotion of a position coach to head coach, you can take that however you want.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Just watched a blurb on the firings on NFL Network, didn't mention Leavitt or LB coach once. It's on the NFL Now app/webpage under Most Popular.

Edited by slick1ru2

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Vic Fazio interviewing for DC at Washington this weekend. I could see him hiring Leavitt as LB coach.

Michael â€@bobleeswagger81  2h2 hours ago
@Redskins Don't let Vic Fangio leave that interview wit out a deal. Let him hire his own staff. Ed Donatell  & Jim Leavitt.

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

He's too good at what he does not to land on his feet

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  344
  • Days Won:  1

why is that?

Just to make peace.  There's no denying he's a big part of our history here.  We don't have a lot of history to begin with and we can't really afford to throw his time here out the window and pretend like it didn't happen.  We can't talk about our past success without acknowledging he was a big reason for those successes and building this program.

Someday we have to make peace with him so that we can bury this hatchet and move on for good.  Give the man a dedicated sign at some future facility and have him be there to see it.  Again: We shouldn't try to hire him back.  But when his coaching career has come to a close we ought to give him a place he can really call home.  Its about having some class.  He's gotta do it too, so some of it is on him. 

But we can't risk having a Bobby Knight-Indiana situation arise where he never wants anything to do with us without an apology and have it cause a rift with alumni and the school.  The guy may not have been perfect I get that.  He had his locker room issues, a few academic ones, and his on the field habit of losing toward the middle/end of the year, but he was a good coach and he gave the University a lot during his time here. To not recognize that would be a disservice.  We just have to make our peace, for old time's sake if nothing else.