• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Will Leavitt be the d-coordinator at Michigan?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

Isn't SF's defensive coordinator interviewing for the HC job. . . . . hard to imagine CJL gets sacked if his boss gets the HC gig.

He's interviewing with several teams this week.

Fangio already interviewed with the 9ers for the hc position. Who else is he set up to interview with?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Also, CJL recruited some marginal "students" ... to the point that the APR was so low he was on track to lose scholarships -- until USF decided it needed an academic committee to screen possible recruits.

Jim did take on a few "projects" but isn't that kind of what college athletics is all about - giving some kids who wouldn't otherwise have a shot in college the chance of a lifetime?

I think the APR issue had more to do with how fast we progressed under Jim. A number of players left the program mid college career for lower tier schools that could offer playing time. I am not intimately familiar w/ APR calculations but I seem to recall that actually counting against us - even if they left in good academic standing and/or later graduate at their second institution. Is my recollection of the APR issues we had incorrect?

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

This belongs in general sports forum... leavitt is no longer with USF... 5 years now... move on people.

Amen ... 

Totally agree. Can we just forget what he did for our program and never mention his name again? 

amen

the guy failed to win here at any level

Except, you know, taking us to bowl games, beating BCS opponents OOC, 4-0 against UCF, and national recognition as an up and coming program...Which we pissed all away just a few years after his firing.

Although I know you are doing your usual schtick.

People forget it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows under Leavitt...

Our national recognition faded by 2009... because USF did well in September but would lose 3 games in the middle of the season.  Jim Leavitt's best finish in conference play was 5-3 ... in our first year in C-USA.  CJL never won more than 4 conference games in the Big East... finished 2-5 in 2008 and 3-4 in 2009...

Also, CJL recruited some marginal "students" ... to the point that the APR was so low he was on track to lose scholarships -- until USF decided it needed an academic committee to screen possible recruits.

We won @ FSU in 2009 when they were ranked. There was still plenty of national recognition. When looking at his tenure here and what he did, anyone unimpressed is foolish regardless of struggling in conference play. 

I don't have the time or energy to research, but is there a team that has won it's conference (division 1) in less than 14 years of existence and if they have was it in a BCS confernce? (Yes I know we weren't always in a bcs conference) I'd bet it's between 0 and 5. People act like he should've won multiple conference championships. With a program that was so young we shouldn't of even sniffed half of the success (that a lot of people mock on here) that we did.

• Upvote 1

We won @ FSU in 2009 when they were ranked. There was still plenty of national recognition. When looking at his tenure here and what he did, anyone unimpressed is foolish regardless of struggling in conference play. 

I don't have the time or energy to research, but is there a team that has won it's conference (division 1) in less than 14 years of existence and if they have was it in a BCS confernce? (Yes I know we weren't always in a bcs conference) I'd bet it's between 0 and 5. People act like he should've won multiple conference championships. With a program that was so young we shouldn't of even sniffed half of the success (that a lot of people mock on here) that we did.

I am not saying we should have won multiple championships... but CJL never even had a chance - never came withing sniffing distance of one... meanwhile UCF has won several in both C-USA and the American.

CJL won every I-AA and G5 game once we moved to I-A.... and he won a handful of actually impressive games... Pitt just before 9/11... Auburn... Florida State... Louisville and WVU at home... but he lost to U Conn (Voodoo Five anyone)... could never win at Cincy... but we never really had "national recognition" ... heck, I remember pundits before the 2009 season saying things like USF "might be good, but they have to prove they can win conference games."

Was CJL good? Yes.  Was he great? No.

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Isn't SF's defensive coordinator interviewing for the HC job. . . . . hard to imagine CJL gets sacked if his boss gets the HC gig.

Fangio already interviewed with the 9ers for the hc position. Who else is he set up to interview with?

ESPN said he was one of the three most sought after right now and was interviewing with other teams this week, so I imagine every one with a HC opening.

Edit: That was said last week. This weekend it was announced SF is denying him to interview with anyone, he's under contract.

Edited by slick1ru2

ESPN said he was one of the three most sought after right now and was interviewing with other teams this week, so I imagine every one with a HC opening.

Edit: That was said last week. This weekend it was announced SF is denying him to interview with anyone, he's under contract.

They're denying him to interview for the Skins DC job is all I saw. They'd be foolish to deny him an interview for a promotion.

• Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,516
  • Days Won:  0

I am not saying we should have won multiple championships... but CJL never even had a chance - never came withing sniffing distance of one... meanwhile UCF has won several in both C-USA and the American.

CJL won every I-AA and G5 game once we moved to I-A.... and he won a handful of actually impressive games... Pitt just before 9/11... Auburn... Florida State... Louisville and WVU at home... but he lost to U Conn (Voodoo Five anyone)... could never win at Cincy... but we never really had "national recognition" ... heck, I remember pundits before the 2009 season saying things like USF "might be good, but they have to prove they can win conference games."

Was CJL good? Yes.  Was he great? No.

As far as I am concerned not even sniffing a conference championship is not a big deal since he had big wins. UCF won several C-USA championships after having a program for over 30 years what in the heck is your point....? 

How long were we in C-USA. 2 years? So, during Leavitt's time at USF in Division 1, we played 9 seasons. 2 as independent (2001-2002), 2 in conference usa (2003-2004), and 5 in the Big East (2005-2009). You expected a conference championship from a team that was Division 1 for its 3rd or 4th season ever in division 1 football in conference USA? (Note: we were independent for the first 2 seasons so there was no chance at a conference championship). Or were you expecting a team that was Division 1 for less than 8 years to win a BCS conference in the Big East? Gimme a break.

Good grief man put it in perspective. CJL was aboslutely GREAT for this program and was absolutely GREAT for building what we once had which is unfortunately gone now. There is no other coach that has accomplished what he has: taken a team younger than 15 years old to a #2 ranking. I don't care if we sucked after that, if you fail to see how impressive that is you're lost. 

We were right where we should have been or even above it given how young of a program we were. Do I think we had the team a few years to win a conference championship? No doubt. But to harp on him not winning one and talking bad about that after what he did which was nothing short of incredible is just mind boggling. Take all the circumstances into consideration instead of just saying "we never came close to a conference championship" and talking bad about the man who helped make you as big of a USF fan you are today.

Edited by USFbulls24

I am not saying we should have won multiple championships... but CJL never even had a chance - never came withing sniffing distance of one... 

To be fair, we were 5 points, and one of the dumbest decisions/playcalls in our history, away from playing a "winner to a BCS bowl" game. I'd call that sniffing distance ...

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

I am not saying we should have won multiple championships... but CJL never even had a chance - never came withing sniffing distance of one... 

To be fair, we were 5 points, and one of the dumbest decisions/playcalls in our history, away from playing a "winner to a BCS bowl" game. I'd call that sniffing distance ...

Except what we were sniffing was a dog's butt...

Except what we were sniffing was a dog's butt...

Well, it was a Huskie ...